Stourbridge Bridge Club and Stourbridge Institute Bridge Section
Recent Updates
Bulletin
8th Dec 2019 20:23 GMT
Sep Minutes
30th Oct 2019 13:06 GMT
Friday Rota
9th Oct 2019 15:39 BST
0 0 0 0 0 0
Pages viewed in 2019
Bulletin

Its our Christmas Party on Friday 13th December. Join us for free mice pies & drinks from 630pm. Bridge as usual from 715pm including a raffle in aid of Mary Stevens Hospice. Donations of prizes for the raffle would be much appreciated.

We are offering additional bridge lessons for beginners from January. Please see the 'Learning Bridge' section of the home page for more details. Encourage your friends to learn this amazing game!

Jan Minutes

Stourbridge Institute Bridge Association

Minutes of Committee Meeting 30th January 2019

Present: Linda Wright, Georgina Lineker, James Taylor, Margaret Hanson, Gavin Tringham, Glo Jackson

Apologies: Sally Johnson

The minutes of the committee meeting of 14th November 2018 were approved

Chairman’s Report

  • The Chairman’s report has been passed on to SISC for the Institute  AGM
  • Function Room availability
    • There have been occasions when neither the Function Room nor restaurant have been available for bridge                                    
    • LW to contact Carl and SISC Chairman, Gerry Roper, on this matter
  • The £20 of vouchers in this year’s increased subscription will be able to be used for table money
  • Discussion of the WCBA Support meeting to take place at our next committee meeting
  • GJ to phone the EBU re free places on club teacher trainung courses
  • When bridge results are being input manually it is necessary to set the date that the boards were played
  • It was agreed that a choice of 3 dates be given for our next Social/Bridge event.  LW to check availability of March 30th, April 6th and April 13th and a list to then go on the noticeboard

Secretary’s Report

  • Increase in EBU membership fees for 2019-2020
  • WCBA January Newsletter is on our noticeboard
  • There has been a suggestion that we hold a Bridge/Social event on a Saturday before Christmas rather than having a Christmas Party. It was agreed that this should be discussed closer to Christmas

Media Co-Ordinator’s Report

  • James is in the process of updating our website
  • It was agreed that archiving previous competition results is a good thing and can make interesting reading

Rota Co-Ordinator’s Report

  • Rotas for February/March are in place

Competitions Secretary’s Report

  • Following the cancellation of Championship Pairs in November it has been decided to try again to hold the event: this time on Saturday March 23rd. Again it will be necessary to have a minimum of 3 tables. An announcement in the diary and a list to go on the noticeboard (GL)
  • Forthcoming Events

February

Friday 8th

Ladies & Mens Pairs Championship

February

Tuesday 26th

Individual Championship

March

Social Bridge (2pm) – to be arranged

March

Friday 15th

Teams Championship

March

Saturday 23rd

Garden Cities Qualifier (11am)

Resources Co-Ordinator’s Report

  • MH, GL and Ian Lineker sorted out bidding boxes and card holders.      MH to order more bidding cards for 1C, PASS and ALERT

Any Other Business

  • Improvers Cup

The committee discussed changes that might be made to the awarding of the Improvers Cup in order to encourage less experienced players.  It was decided, therefore, that with effect from January 1st 2019, the cup will be awarded, at the discretion of the committee, to the player who has shown most improvement throughout the year

  • There have recently been problems with wi-fi

LW to contact Gerry Roper

  • MH had agreed to be part of The Way Forward group but has not had any contact from the group.

LW to email Carl and Gerry

Date of next meeting

  • Wednesday March 20th – committee meal – subsequently rearranged for 13th March to avoid clash with Institute AGM on 20th