1) Undos in play
We have decided to adopt the EBU’s online practice of NOT allowing requests for carding Undos. IBEx will be requested to put this into effect from Monday 28 June. BPS sessions will start with an announcement that carding Undos are not allowed, and we would be grateful if players did not request them from that date.
2) Numbers of tables
To ensure that players enjoy a proper duplicate session, we have asked IBEx, our TD provider, to try and avoid running any sessions with fewer than 4 tables. We do apologise if a session in which you want to play is cancelled, but we will keep an eye on this issue and if a session regularly doesn’t run, then we will consider removing it from the schedule over the summer months. See below regarding Thursday Open (11:00 a.m. ) session.
3) Summer schedule
The Thursday 11am session has had fewer than 4 tables for the last 3 weeks and we are therefore suspending the session until further notice. We will review the situation in the Autumn.
A number of players have suggested that an extra evening session would be helpful during the summer months, while people are more often out during the day. Therefore, as a trial, there will be an extra BPS open session each week on a Friday evening at 7pm, starting Friday 2 July.
We have deliberately set out to be as light touch as possible regarding regulations, so it is important that we all respect the few regulations that we have. We would therefore be grateful if everyone would try to remember the following:
- From Monday 28 June, please don’t request carding Undos;
- For our restricted sessions, please make sure before you play, that both players meet the defined NGS restrictions;
- BPS is a community and it’s nice to know who you are playing against, so please can everyone make sure their first name and surname are completed on their BBO profile;
- Robots are meant for occasional use – not as regular partners;
- Please explain what bids mean rather than just giving them a name e.g.
- Multi – weak 2 in a major or 19-20 balanced;
- Landy – both majors usually 5/4;
- Michaels – spades and a minor;
5. Charity session 5th Tuesday
Falling numbers for this session mean that there is little point running this as a charity session so it will revert to an Open Online session @£3.00 for June.
Click here to see the document which has been approved by the Steering Committee of Lancashire BPS. It sets out best practice and guidelines when playing online bridge on BBO in Lancashire BPS events. It is based on the EBU guidelines and influenced by our experience of playing bridge on BBO for 12 months and is intended to address the most frequent issues that arise during sessions.