Resumption of Face-to-Face Bridge
We are happy to announce that we are resuming face-to-face bridge on Wednesday 10th August at 19:30. There is major building work going on in St. Michael’s House and while we have been assured that we will be allowed back there when the works are finished, this is unlikely until well into next year. We have secured temporary accommodation in Tolka Rovers Sports Complex. This is only 650m from St. Michael’s House. The room they have available is sufficiently large to accommodate twelve tables. There is good ventilation and excellent natural light. The room is on the first floor but there is a lift adjacent to it. There are plenty of parking spaces. We have secured the room for a 4 week trial period, commencing on Wednesday 10th August. At the end of the trial, provided both parties are happy, the arrangement will be continued, hopefully until St. Michael’s House becomes available to us again.
From a financial perspective we will require sufficient attendance to fill 7 tables in order to break even. Table money will be €5 as it was pre-Covid. However, at the end of the trial period, this will be subject to review. Prizes will be awarded as they were pre-Covid.
We will stop running online bridge on Wednesdays but will run a game on BBO on Mondays instead. This will be open to all GRVBC members. It is very important that we continue to offer online bridge, partly because some members prefer it, but also because nobody can be certain what is happening with regard to the pandemic. However, we want to avoid it being in competition with face-to-face bridge. We hope that this will be achieved by running it on a different night.
We remain very mindful of the fact that the Covid epidemic is far from over. We will therefore take precautions on an ongoing basis.
- If you have any symptoms of Covid, you must not attend. Please be aware that with the current Epsilon variant, these symptoms may be very mild, resembling those of the common cold. Sore throat is now a common presentation.
- If anyone in your household has Covid, you must not attend.
- Please ensure that your vaccination status is up to date.
- While mask wearing is not mandatory, it is a sensible precaution in a relatively crowded environment such as a Bridge Club.
- We will provide hand sanitisers and encourage everyone to use them.
- Handling of Bridgemates should be kept to a minimum. Ideally, only North should do so.
- You must use only one bidding box. If you are EW, you will carry it with you throughout the game. If you have your own bidding box, please bring it. For those who haven’t we will provide you with one which you can bring home with you.
- We will not provide water so, if you want some during the game, you need to bring your own. We will provide disposable glasses for anyone who wants them.
- The room will be well ventilated. Please bear this in mind when deciding what to wear.
- We have ordered a CO2 monitor.
Please remember that even if you are now somewhat relaxed about Covid, other members may not be. Many of the precautions above are designed to protect not just you, but other players in your company. Please remember that and observe these precautions, for you own protection, and for the protection and peace of mind of your fellow Bridge Players.
Need a Partner?
Anne Hogan has kindly agreed to take on the role of Matchmaker. If you are looking for a partner, she may be able to help you. You can email
her on call/text her on 087 655 8463.