Team (Danish Swiss) game Saturday October 30 1 PM on BBO. Pre-register with Dave Fraser (firstname.lastname@example.org or 506 849 7922) your team of 4. Let me know the captain's name.
I will send game registration info on the 29th. Pairs looking for teammates can also register with me. I will attempt to match you with another pair.
Fundy is online during the indoor mask mandate.
Every Tuesday 7 PM on BBO
Every Thursday 7 PM on BBO
The limited masterpoint games have moved to Tuesday:
0- 20 pairs: Tuesday 7:10 PM
21-399 pairs: Tuesday 7:20 PM
(Check other club websites for their face-to-face and online plans)
If we can't play in person due to weather, facility unavailability, or NB Public health rules, we will play online on BBO.
Local & Virtual Club Game Schedule - see updated list at right --->
North American Pairs (NAP) Qualifying games:
1. Flight A Open to any player
2. Flight B Players with less than 2500 MPs as of the June 2021 masterpoint cycle*
3. Flight C Non-Life Masters with fewer than 500 MPs as of the June 2021 masterpoint cycle.*
Those scoring 50% or above and/or in the top half of their strat will qualify for the District finals sometime this fall. ACBL will email those who have acheived the qualifying standard.
The District winners qualify to go to the NABC NAP finals Spring 2022 in Reno NV.
New Alert and Announcment procedures are now in effect! There is lot of detail in the documents on the ACBL website, but luckily the January issue of the ACBL bulletin has an article on p. 35 (continued on page 50) that gives the main highlights.
Here is a summary of the highlights (that most likely apply to Fundy players):
New Pre-alerts (at the beginning of the round)
- strong club system You could say "We play a strong club" or type "strong club"
- 1 club could be short . You could say "We play 1 club could be short" or type "1 club could be short" (also see change to the Announcement for this)
- don't have to pre-alert if you lead low from a small doubleton, but must be included in the answer if you are asked about leads and carding
Alert changes (remember we use self-alerts online and in face-to-face the partner alerts the bid)
- do not have to alert natural jump shifts in an uncontested auction, whether weak, intermediate or strong
(Updated) - Alert these bids: "A Natural Opening suit bid at the 2 or 3 level that may contain 12 or more HCP. This does not apply to an Opening in fourth seat" If you aren't sure what your opponents' agreement is with a 4th seat 2 or 3 level opening, you should ask.
(Updated) - Pre-empt overcalls that are at least Average strength should be Alerted. "After a Natural 1-level suit bid, a Natural jump overcall that shows at least Average strength."
(Updated) - no Alert is required for a "reverse" bid that does not promise extra strength.
- direct cue bid that is not Michaels requires an Alert e.g. 1 club - 2 clubs where the 2 club overcall bid shows a club suit needs to be alerted. If your 2 club overcall shows, for example, spades and diamonds (which is not Michaels) then it needs to be alerted.
- do not have to Alert support doubles or redoubles
- alert an opening 2 club bid that does not meet the definition of Very Strong
“Very Strong”: A hand that contains:
i. at least 20 HCP; or
ii. at least 14 HCP and is within one trick of game assuming suits break evenly among the other hands.
iii. at least 5 Control Points and is within one trick of game assuming suits break evenly among the other hands.
- 1 no trump ranges still need to be announced ("15-17" "11-14" or whatever you play)
- instead of saying "transfer" say the suit. e.g. if your partner opens 1 NT and you bid 2 hearts as a transfer to spades, your partner would say "spades" not "transfer" (online if you bid 2 hearts type "spades")
- if you play that 1 NT - 2 spades is a transfer to clubs - say "clubs"
- but if you play 1 NT - 2 spades shows either minor say "alert" even if the opener is supposed to always bid clubs
- for a 1 club opener that could be short, you must say the minimum number expected e.g. "could be one" or "could be two". Note you need to pre alert this (see above). Also note that if your expected minimum length is 3, that is standard and does not have to be pre-alerted or announced
- alerts should not be delayed online. My understanding of this is that control bids should be self alerted. But keycard asking or answers would be explained after the bidding.
- declaring side should explain any delayed alerts or control bids used in the auction without the requirement for the defense to ask about them.
Introducing ACBL’s Guest Membership option – a FREE way for players and students to try the benefits of ACBL membership.
I would like you to seriously consider obtaining this free 4 month membership, because in addition to the benefits listed below, it will make signing up for our games much easier (no blocking) plus you can play in any game in our pool of clubs (Fundy, Codiac, Fiddlehead, Shediac), and it will ensure you are in the right stratification (non members are put in the A strat)
What can players do with a Guest Membership?
- Play in any club or tournament game
- Earn up to 20 masterpoints®
- Read online editions of the Bridge Bulletin
- Receive ACBL Live and Live for Clubs results emails
Guest Memberships are completely free, last for 120 days and are only available to brand-new members (no previous or current members). Masterpoints will be filed as unrecorded and become permanent upon joining with a full membership.
The membership form is available at the following link:
*** Important *** When you get to the Recruiting club number - fill in with the Fundy club number 129981, this will link you to our club and pool.
Any questions please contact me.
Dave Fraser (506 849 7922) email@example.com
Fundy ACBL members can participate in the Moncton (Codiac), Bridge Shediac and Fiddlehead (Fredericton) virtual club games
Our first virtual club game was held April 28 on BBO with 12 tables! Results can be found by clicking on Results on the left or under Latest Results on the bottom right.