CROWBOROUGH BRIDGE CLUB RULES
(Revised July 2020 )
1. The Club shall be known as the Crowborough Bridge Club.
2. The Bridge Club shall exist to organise and promote Duplicate Bridge for the enjoyment of its members.
3. The Bridge Club shall be registered with and affiliated to, the Sussex County Contract Bridge Association and the English Bridge Union.
4. The Officers of the Bridge Club shall be a Chairman, a Treasurer, and up to five other Committee members. A quorum for committee meetings shall be four members. The Committee shall be responsible for the affairs of the Bridge Club and its day to day activities.
5. The Chairman, Treasurer of the Bridge Club and up to five Committee members shall he elected annually at an Annual General Meeting (AGM) by simple majority vote, in a secret ballot. Each member of the Bridge Club shall be free to exercise one vote in respect of each appointment. Nominations shall be duly proposed and seconded by members of the Club and must reach the Secretary at least fourteen days before the advertised date of the meeting. The Secretary will post all nominations on the Club notice board at least one week before the advertised date of the meeting. If insufficient nominations have been received in advance of the Annual General Meeting, nominations may be accepted at the meeting.
6. The Committee Members, elected as above, shall remain in office for a period of 3 years, unless they wish to resign. During the initial 3 year period 1/3 shall seek re-election after the first year, another 1/3 after the second year and the remaining 1/3 after the third year, thereby all Officers and Committee members shall have sought re-election after a maximum period of three years. Any new member elected after the first year may serve for 3 years before seeking re-election. The Committee shall elect one of its members to act as Secretary. The Committee may, if it thinks fit, at any time co-opt a Member on to the Committee, either to serve as an additional member of the Committee (provided the total membership of the Committee shall not then exceed 8), if it feels that this would be to the benefit of the Club, or to fill a vacancy among the elected members. Such co-opted member shall serve for a period up to the following AGM and be eligible for re-election. A Member may not be co-opted on to the Committee on more than one occasion in two consecutive years.
7. At each election, the retiring Officers and Committee Members may offer themselves for re-election.
8. All members shall pay an Annual Subscription, the amount to be determined by the Committee, from time to time, and approved by an Annual General Meeting, or an Extraordinary General Meeting (called for the purpose). The Committee is empowered to award, long serving or other deserving Members, free Life Membership at its discretion. The Committee may, at its discretion, agree a reduced subscription for any Member if it considers such would be fair, e.g. by reason of youth, ill-health or adversity. Annual Subscriptions shall normally be effective as from 1 June each year and payable within one month of the AGM following. Any Member failing to pay within one month of the due date shall be given notice of such default and, if not paid within eight weeks of the due date, membership shall lapse unless otherwise resolved by the Committee. New Members joining during the year may be allowed to pay a reduced pro-rata fee at the discretion of the Committee.
9. Two members shall sponsor an applicant for membership, who must first have played in at least two bridge sessions at the club. The application shall be displayed on the notice board for two weeks prior to consideration by the Committee. During this period members may make representations, in writing, to the Secretary, for the applicant to be accepted or rejected. The Committee shall decide, by simple majority vote, whether to accept. Applicants shall be informed of the Committee's decision not more than 30 days after the decision has been made.
10. The Club year shall be the period 1st June to 31st May.
11. An Annual General Meeting of the Bridge Club shall be convened within eight weeks of the end of the Club year. Notice of the meeting shall be given at least 21 days in advance on the Club notice board.
12. At each Annual General Meeting members shall; - subject to Rules 5 and 6, elect Officers and Committee Members receive and approve the Treasurer's Report and balance sheet agree table money and any other items of a financial nature for the coming year deal with any special matter which the Committee desires to bring before the membership and receive suggestions for consideration by the Committee.
13. The Secretary, or appointed deputy, shall convene an Extraordinary General Meeting on the Instructions of the Chairman, or at the request, in writing, of any six members of the Bridge Club. Three weeks notice shall be posted on the notice board stating the purpose of the meeting specified.
14. The quorum for the conduct of business at a General Meeting shall be ten members present and voting.
15. Voting shall be by a show of hands or by a ballot as directed by the Chairman, or as required by the rules of the Club. The Chairman shall be permitted to exercise a casting vote. Postal votes will be accepted. Proxy votes will be accepted providing they specify who or what the proxy must vote for. In the event that a candidate, duly proposed and seconded, subsequently withdraws their nomination, holders of proxy votes for that candidate may transfer them to an alternative candidate. Both postal and proxy votes must be cast on the appropriate forms provided by the Secretary, and signed by the member.
16. Members shall conform to the rules, proprieties and ethics laid down in the "Laws of Duplicate Contract Bridge". Bidding systems and conventions shall be restricted to those licensed by the English Bridge Union. Members of the Club are (subject to the EBU;s right of refusal or expulsion pursuant to its Bye Laws) automatically enrolled as members of the English Bridge Union and shall abide by its Bye Laws.
17. Visitors or guests may play at Bridge sessions of the Club at the discretion of the Committee, paying the appropriate table money for visitors. A guest may be introduced by a Member by whom he or she must be accompanied whilst at the Club. All expenses, other than table money, incurred on behalf of a guest must be paid by the Member and not by the guest. The same person may not be introduced as a guest more than 4 times in any 12-month period unless otherwise agreed by the Committee.
a) In organised competition under the control of an appointed Director all irregularities and disputes shall be settled by the Director. The Director's decision shall be final.
b) The Director shall report behaviour prejudicial to the good name and well- being of the Club, to the Committee.
c) Members may lodge a written appeal with the Committee in any eventuality.
d) The Committee shall be empowered to convene an Ethics sub-committee to determine any issue under this Rule or under Rule 16(above). Such sub-committee shall consist of at least 3 Members, at least one of which shall not be a serving member of the Main Committee.
- If the conduct of any Member of the Club shall, in the opinion of the Committee, be such as to be prejudicial to the reputation, welfare, or good order of the Club, the Committee shall be empowered to call that Member before a meeting of a Sub-Committee specially appointed and convened. The Member shall be given 14 days written notice of the meeting and of the nature of the complaint against his conduct, and he may be accompanied by one other person at such meeting and may speak in rebuttal. If after such meeting, the Sub-Committee shall take the view that the allegations are made out, it shall within 7 days of the meeting inform the Member accordingly. The Member shall within 14 days thereafter appeal in writing against that decision to a meeting of the Committee, but if he does not, or if the appeal is rejected at that meeting (at which the member may be present and make representations), the Committee may suspend that Member for such period (not exceeding 3 months) as it shall think fit, or recommend that he shall resign. Should the Member not resign within 7 days after the Committee shall have sent him notice in writing of such recommendation the Committee may resolve that the Member be expelled from the Club and give him notice accordingly whereupon the Member shall forthwith cease to be a Member of the Club and the unexpired portion of that Member's subscription for the current year shall be refunded.
20. Any person, whether or not a Member, who is subject to refusal or expulsion by the EBU as a player shall be automatically deemed expelled or refusal by Crowborough Bridge Club.
21. Upon becoming a member of the Club, each Member is deemed to give his consent to use of his details and e-mail address for the purposes of Club business and in accordance with current data protection law.
22. The Committee is empowered to approve reimbursements to any Member for legitimate expenses incurred on Club business.
23. Allusions in these Rules to the male gender shall be construed as also comprehending the female gender, and these Rules shall be read accordingly.
24. These rules shall be altered only with the consent of a majority of Bridge members given at a General Meeting.