Tuesday evening competition starts this Tuesday, 23rd March (and Wednesday afternoon relaxed play returns two weeks later on 7th April)!
Some notes about Tuesday (this first session in particular):
- I’ll be directing ... at least, I hope so. I have a new hip, doing well so I certainly expect to BE there, but it’s possible it will be Peter who’s doing the work! If it’s me, well, it will be the first time for a year ...
- A few of us have done a phone-around to the people who haven’t played at our club in the flesh this year, and there are quite a few who'd like to come, but have hardly played at all for a year ...
So it may be slightly different from usual! Here are a few notes:
Registering - you need to do this in advance on the Club website...
- Select "Calendar" at the top
- Select the session
- "Booking" to book for yourself and your partner, or
- "Partner required" if you need one,
and enter the details required. That is now the regular procedure for all competition sessions, to ensure our numbers stay below the room's COVID capacity.
Masterpoints - Tuesdays should be a normal competition (24 boards), but in view of the circumstances I think it may be best to schedule fewer boards on that night for the first few weeks. That will lower the MP values, but seems preferable to cutting the competition short (fraught with issues regarding a fair result!), or playing on to the bitter end so you can't wake up on Wednesday morning. We want Tuesday night bridge to be drama-free and to fit comfortably in your lives.
Play is scheduled to start at 7 (and at LGCC, not at Chum St as previously). PLEASE arrive BEFORE 6.45 - we have COVID protocols to observe as well as getting into a routine. Sadly, we are still (as of today) playing in masks, but figure caution is still preferable to comfort given the demographic of our members.
There will be no formal tea-break, as the kitchen is closed, so please bring your own flasks of tea/coffee/whatever (note LGCC has an alcohol-free policy).
The future - This might seem to be a silly time to expand our offerings, given that we had to cancel last Wednesday evening because you can't have a competition with one and a half tables! But it was St Patrick's Day ...
Anyhow, we're trying it partly because we know some people prefer Tuesdays, and partly because at last we have acquired our normal venue for this session. The Match Committee and Club Committee will be monitoring attendances and making long-term decisions.
We hope to see you there - and in your sunniest, most tolerant frame of mind :)
If you have any questions or difficulties, or suggestions, please phone me on my mobile number listed below.
Jennifer Goddard, 0413 745 415