Doubles: All Doubles on the 1st or 2nd round of bidding of a 1 or 2 level suit bid are
deemed to be TAKE OUT DOUBLE. All other bids are deemed to be
PENALTY DOUBLES. Any variations must be ALERTED.
Announcements: You should announce your partners bid in 3 specific cases
1.If partner opens a non forcing 1C or 1D that can be made with 0,1,2, or 3 cards
in the suit, you say “could be 0,1,2, or 3” as appropriate.
2. If Partner opens 1NT – you state the range eg – 12-14 or 15-17 as appropriate
3. If you open 1NT and partner makes a transfer bid, you announce “Transfer to Hearts” etc
A forcing 1C opening bid must be alerted.
No alert or announcement is required for:
(1) a 5 card Major suit opening,
(2) a strong Acol 2C opening,
(3) Stayman 2C response to 1NT opening.
You should not alert any call above 3NT that occurs on or after the openers rebid.
Instead the declaring side alerts such calls after the final pass but before the
opening lead has been selected while the defending side alerts such calls after the
opening lead has been selected but before it has been faced.
1NT - 4C ( alert gerber); 1NT-4D ( alert Texas)
but 1C-1D-1NT (by opener) - 4C (Gerber but not alertable)