With immediate effect Wednesday Evening Bridge will be classified as No Fear Social bridge with scores not going to the EBU to count towards players NGS gradings. Social Duplicate is also played every Thursday afternoon at 1445hrs. All members and visitors welcome.
SARUM BRIDGE CLUB
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Sarum Bridge Club held on the 13TH May 2019 at the Reading Room, Stratford-Sub-Castle.
1. Introduction. The meeting was opened at 1830 pm . The Chairman had sent his apologies for absence; therefore Maria Villacampa-Ascaso (Club Secretary) took the Chair. Maria thanked all the present members for attending the AGM.
2. Apologies for absence. Apologies were received from David Ward, Penny Mason, Jill and John Carlisle.
3. AGM minutes for 2018. Agreed as true and accurate record of last year’s AGM.
4. Our Chairman Philip Nind and Terry Hillman Steward Secretary stepped down: Fiona Kempson had volunteered for the post of Steward Secretary, this motion had previously been voted in by the Committee Members. It also transpired that Fiona Kempson was offering to take on the role of Chairman leaving it to the members to decide. John Dalton proposed that Fiona Kempson was nominated the new Chairperson and the motion was agreed unanimously.
5. Chairman’s report.
In his absence the Chairman sent his report in written, it was read by Fiona Kempson.
(a) We heard that the attendance of members has dwindled specially on Wednesday events. Further comments to be included in the Treasurer’s report
(b) Philip had made negotiations and successfully obtained a reduction of ₤15 per week on the rent payable for The Reading Room.
(c) Certain committee members feel that there should be a course for improvers. Andy Tilling’s offer to organise a short course of an hour to take place before the Thursday afternoon Social event will be considered and further details will be issued.
(d) In the Wiltshire League there were two teams from Sarum Bridge Club, although not representing the club, the Blandy team couldn’t match the previous year’s achievement but came a creditable second. The Ashton team had a rather dull season and often were involved in a relegation battle.
(e) May I thank all those who actively help in club affairs. Collectively you put a considerable amount of time.
6. Treasurer’s Report. The Treasurer presented the INCOME & EXPENDITURE accounts for 2018-2019, prepared by Michael Blandy and audited by David Wilson. These accounts were agreed unanimously. The year end has a scant positive balance, the poor attendance on Wednesdays events results on this event having to be subsidized by the rest of the club. Four options were put to the attendance: (a) increasing the annual subs. (b) increasing the table money. (c) Making Wednesday events social and not passing the scores to the EBU for inclusion in the NGS system. All these options will remain open for the time being for further discussion.
7. Presentation of Prizes. Sonia Blandy our Social Secretary presented the prizes:
Club Champions : Sonia Blandy and Georgie Dalton.
Mixed Pairs Champions : Pat Usher and Mike O’Sullivan
Handicap teams: Breda amd Sid Adcock, Jenny Coats and Terry Hillman.
Ladies Pairs : Sue Hands and Jenny Coats.
Mens Pairs: Sid Adcock and David Clayton.
Club Teams: David Hale, Paul Wright, Sonia Blandy and Georgie Dalton.
Handicap pairs: Gillian Nolan and David Wood.
A book voucher was also presented to David Wilson as thanks for auditing the accounts.
8. AOB. Rachel Pickford suggested that Wednesday events should have a less competitive approach in view of attracting less experienced players. This motion was endorsed by Andy Tilling and unanimously agreed.
Brian Moore asked to approach the U3A in view of attracting less experienced players. Maria Villacampa-Ascaso undertook to speak from the rostrum in the next monthly meeting of Salisbury and District U3A exhorting Sarum Bridge Club facilities.
Colin Jones opened a motion on″Backup hardware for the current scoring system”. This issue had been discussed in our last Committee Meeting and our ET Admistrator Paul Wright explained that for the time being no immediate action should be investigated further as a "cloud" back up version may be being implemented by Bridgewebs.
9. Date of the next AGM will take place on the 11th May 2020