SpadeHeart 
Puritan
Celebrating 100 Years!
 DiamondClub
Alert!

Please check here for important Puritan information when necessary.

Have a great day!

♠  ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​♣ 

Release 2.19q
Recent Updates
Home Page
Apr 3, 2024 09:24 EDT
Alert!
Mar 18, 2024 12:10 EDT
Board of Directors Minutes
Feb 29, 2024 11:03 EST
About Us
Dec 7, 2023 10:48 EST
0 0 0 0 0 0
Pages viewed in 2024
About Us
The Puritan Bridge Club

One of the oldest bridge clubs in New England, The Puritan Bridge Club was formed by the "Odd Fellows" of Braintree on June 15, 1920.
We are a non-profit open club with emphasis on the social aspects of the game.
 

We trace our roots back to June 15, 1920 when, after a regular lodge meeting of the “Odd Fellows” of Braintree, a number of brothers adjourned to form the “Puritan Club”.  That Club was a men-only organization limited to no more than 45 members.  Each member had to be elected to membership and, after payment of annual dues of $1.30, was entitled to a key to the Club.  The “clubhouse” was located on the second floor level of the Braintree Cooperative Bank in South Braintree Square. Throughout the 1920s, members played pool, whist and occasionally cribbage. The Cub’s House Committee was responsible for stocking cases with candy and cigars for sale to members. According to the Club’s archives, the first reference to bridge appears in 1936. By then, the Club was mostly all about whist and bridge. Each player paid 10 cents per game to play.  Although women were allowed to play bridge at the Club, it was not until 1983. when the Club had evolved into the “Puritan Bridge Club,” (with Henry Daley as Manager and Treasurer) that women were allowed to become members.

In the early 1960s several of the Club’s members, including Mark and Vivien Batchelder, parents of Mark Batchelder, loaned the Club money so it could buy property. The Club bought a house and barn, rented out the house and with the help of members Ed Nugent and the two Mark Batchelders (father and son), among others, transformed the barn into a bridge club. Subsequently the barn burned down and the Club temporarily rented space from the Emmanuel Episcopal Church while looking for a permanent home. When the East Braintree Methodist Church put its property on the market it had a hard time selling because the property was in a residential zone. It was perfect for us. The Club sold the house it owned to the Braintree Art Association and used the proceeds to buy our current home.

Inside the entry foyer is a long wooden bench that looks like a church pew, because it is. Our building was originally the East Braintree Methodist Church. In February 1972, the Club bought the land and building from the Church for $25,000.  Prior to that purchase, in December 1969, the Club incorporated with the help of member, attorney Stephen A. Bache of Braintree.