Peninsula Bridge in Virginia
Walk-In Wednesdays 9:30a to 12:30p
Come take a tour.
Find out what duplicate Bridge is all about
Click for Flyer
PBC’s primary charities are the ACBL Funds & Alzheimers The Longest Day
Our local charity is the
Virginia Peninsula Food Bank
In 2018 the PBC donated more than $3300.
Our goal for 2019 is $4500.
Please come and play to help us reach our objective.
Jan = $ 636.25
Feb = $ 233.25
Mar = $ 192.00
Apr = $ 612.00
May = $ 370.00
Jun = $2227.00 (including Longest Day)
July = $ 479.00
Aug = $ 538.00
Year To Date: = $5287.50
Bridge Center 757-380-6032
Ron Alldaffer Communications 757-613-9326
Subject: Policy for partnerships at PBC
PBC wants to assist new players as well as regular players to find a partnership for games. As a courtesy to the directors we are asking that players contact the club by phone (380-6032) as early as possible. Last minute walk-ins will be accommodated if possible, but partnerships will only be guaranteed if the director is contacted at least 30 minutes prior to game time. The director will make a decision whether to add walk-ins arriving less than 30 minutes prior to the game.
Click for Calendar
9:30 Bridge Class Card Play
10:45 Bridge Class Bidding and Prepared Hands
12:30 Fun Duplicate Lesson
1:00 Fun Duplicate NLM game
A Learning Barometer Game
Tuesday night is 'Learning Barometer' night! Here is how it goes:
- All the hands are randomly dealt. The hands have not 'fixed' the cards in any way to illustrate a point. Random does mean random.
- Anyone can come and play in the event. But it is aimed at those who want to learn to be better bridge players. That cannot be judged by how many masterpoints someone has.
- All pairs will BID and PLAY the same hand AT THE SAME TIME. No forced bidding, no forced leads. Do what you want. In bridge lingo, this format is called a 'barometer'.
- After everyone has finished playing the hand, I will put the hand up on the TV and discuss it. Auction, opening lead, defense, and POTH by declarer. Instant learning gratification!!! You've GOT to like that!
- After that, I will put up the current standings for all pairs.
- Then we will play the next board in the round, same as above.
- After the round is finished, the movement will depend on how many tables I have. Either a Mitchell (NS stays at the same table) or a Howelll (everyone moves). So you will not be playing against the same pair all night long.
My best guess: we will all play about 10 to 12 boards, the same boards, in 2 hours, each taking about 9 minutes per board (includes the 'learning'). As always, I am aiming to be done between 9:15 and 9:30. And while this is primarily a teaching/learning event, you can win some masterpoints at the end of the night! Only a few niblets, but still....
Maree's crew of snack volunteers has been doing a fabulous job, so I think you can look forward to some excellent munchies.
This game requires me to do a lot of prep work. Making a lot of boards, etc. So if you plan to come, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know you are coming so I know how much work to do! And please be there a little early so we can get started on time.
AND, to top it off, a free bidding lesson that starts at 6:15... WITH Powerpoint slides... ends at 6:45!
All for $7, $6 if you are a member of the PBC!
Pass the word to your bridge friends who want to learn to be a better bridge player. Learning can't be less painless than this format.
I hope to see you all there on Tuesday night!
The Saturday Learning Barometer Game
The PBC will be offering a 'Learning Barometer' format open pairs game at 12:30 PM on a Saturday, once a month. Check the calendar for the date.
- The boards are random and have not been 'fixed' in any way to illustrate a point. Random does mean random.
- All pairs will BID and PLAY the same hand AT THE SAME TIME. No forced bidding, no forced leads. Do what you want. In bridge lingo, this format where everyone plays the same board AT THE SAME TIME is called a 'barometer'.
- After everyone has finished playing the hand, we will put the hand up on the TV and discuss it. Auction, opening lead, defense, and POTH by declarer. Instant learning gratification!!! You've GOT to like that!
- Then we will play the next board, same as above.
- After the round, we will announce the current standings for all pairs.
- After the round is finished, the movement will depend on how many tables I have. Either a Mitchell (NS stays at the same table) or a Howelll (everyone moves).
- Just play bridge... AND THEN LEARN!
This game requires a lot of prep work. Making a lot of boards, etc. So if you plan to come, PLEASE, PLEASE let us know you are coming so we know how much work to do!
Pass the word to your bridge friends who want to learn to be a better bridge player. Learning can't be more fun and less painless than this format.
We hope to see you there on a 'Learning Barometer' Saturday every month.
RSVP: to email@example.com or sign up on PBC Event White Board
Potluck Lunch 12:00 noon
Game 12:30 pm
30 minute lesson followed by NLM & Open Game
Mondays Pre-game lesson 10:45am NLM & Open Game 11:30am
1st Monday of each Month “BIDDING PRINCIPLES”
2nd Monday of each Month “PLAY OF THE HAND PRINCIPLES”
3rd Monday of each Month “DEFENSE PRINCIPLES”
4th Monday of each Month “THE LAWS OF BRIDGE”
5th Monday of each Month “USEFUL CONVENTIONS”
Email Dick Hartman - firstname.lastname@example.org
A Learning Barometer Game Tuesday Evenings Starting March 26th, 2019
9:30 Bridge Class Card Play
Contact David Burnes or Paul DeMarsh or email@example.com for questions.
FUN DUPLICATE BRIDGE Pre-Game Lesson
I envision our Wednesday afternoon FUN DUPLICATE BRIDGE games to include the following:
----A Pre-game lesson at 12:30 pm — about 30 minutes long with various topics.
----A duplicate bridge game for newer players and students at 1:00 pm (about 18 boards) game over by 3:30 pm.
Email David Burnes - firstname.lastname@example.org