Our President Dermot Ryder has set up a virtual bridge club on Bridge Base Online (BBO) for the members of Newpark Bridge Club and Foxrock Bridge Club. This virtual club is called NewFox Bridge Club. The game takes place each Friday evening at 7.30 PM. The results are posted to this website. Please contact Dermot Ryder if you would like to register to play. Please also read what follows very carefully.
1. Prior to entering for a Newfox game, please ensure that there are sufficient funds in your BBO account to play. You may top up your BBO account at any time using a credit card or Paypal by going to www.bridgebase.com and clicking on BB$.
2. In order to enter for a specific NewFox game, both your partner and yourself need to be logged in to BBO at a time that you have pre-arranged between you and that is within two hours of the game start time. One of you invites the other to play.
In order to invite your partner to play, click on Virtual Clubs under Featured Areas and then on CBAI & NIBU - Ireland and then on the NewFox game in which you wish to play. You then follow the screen instructions in order to invite your partner to play with you. Partner will receive your invitation. Once partner accepts the invitation, your partnership is entered for the competition.
3. Within ten minutes of the game start time, both your partner and yourself must log in to BBO and follow the instructions in 2. above until you see the NewFox game listed. The clock will count down and you will be taken to your seat when the competition begins. PLEASE NOTE THAT IF BOTH YOUR PARTNER AND YOURSELF ARE NOT LOGGED IN AND IN THE CBAI & NIBU - IRELAND PART OF BBO AT THE START TIME, THE GAME WILL COMMENCE WITHOUT YOU. YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO GAIN ENTRY LATER.
4. At the start of each round, your side is expected to advise your new opponents of the basic system that you are playing. The best time to set up to do this is while waiting for the game to begin. At this time, one member of the partnership should type the basic system that the partnership is playing in the chat line near the bottom of the screen and then save this for use at the start of each round. In order to do this, highlight your basic system in the chat line and then depress the ctrl key and type c.
Now at the start of each round, if you click in the chat box line and then depress the ctrl key and type v, your basic system will appear in the chat line. It can then be communicated to your new opponents by clicking the blue button on the right marked Chat.
Please be aware that when new opponents arrive at the table, THEY CANNOT SEE ANY MESSAGE THAT HAS BEEN SENT TO THE TABLE IN PREVIOUS ROUNDS. This is why one member of your partnership must communicate your basic system at the start of every round.
5. During the game, please try to bid and play at an even tempo. If you hesitate for a particularly long time in the auction and then pass, it suggests that you have values in your hand. If your partner then bids, (s)he might be accused later of making use of the information that your lengthy hesitation seems to have conveyed. Equally, if you delay unduly prior to playing a card, it suggests that your holding is such as to have created an issue over which card to play. Hesitating for a particularly long time when what you should bid or play is obvious is equally egregious and leaves your side open to an appeal to the Tournament Director who may ultimately award an adjusted score that is less favourable to your side. Playing slowly with a view to running out of time thereby obtaining an average result on a board on which your side would otherwise have done badly risks an immediate complaint by your opponents to the Tournament Director who most likely will award an adjusted score.