Please show your membership card when
you pay cash or purchase a new 10 play card.
Please remember to turn off your cell phones.
2020 Club Memberships – On Sale Now $40.00
Winner of the January Draw of two free plays – Paul Inglis
- Swiss Teams - Monday 9:30 a.m.
- Family Day Holiday Open Game - February 17 @ 1:30 p.m.
- New Sunday Open Stratified Game @ 1:00 p.m.
- Special Introductory Rate of $5
New Club Manager
Cathy Kinsella has asked to reduce the scope of her work at our club. We thank her for her strong contributions since the club’s inception, and particularly over the last 14 months as our club manager.
The Board of Mobridge is pleased to announce that Catherine Colburn will become our fourth Club Manager, effective immediately but with a transition period as Cathy helps her learn the ropes.
Catherine is a new member of our Club, having joined in 2019. Based on a career with DMR, an IT consulting group, and wide-ranging volunteer activities, Catherine has developed excellent communication skills, administrative experience, knowledge of accounting/bookkeeping and interpersonal abilities.
Cathy will begin immediately to transition the administrative tasks to Catherine, followed by the bookkeeping and accounting responsibilities. We expect this will be completed by the AGM in May.
Cathy will continue to be a valued supporter of our Club and she will retain the role of Lead Director on an ongoing basis.
Please join us in congratulating Catherine and supporting her in true Mobridge fashion.
The Barbara Sims Award
As the May 12 AGM date nears, it’s time to be thinking about the Barbara Sims Award. This is an award to honour a valued VOLUNTEER in our Bridge community who, like Barbara, has played an essential role in our members’ enjoyment of bridge. The club’s success is built on thousands of volunteer hours – your fellow members working continuously to create and maintain a welcoming environment and a viable enterprise. Without these gifts of time and talent, we would not have a club. This is a time to say thanks to one of those volunteers among the many who have played a vital role in our success.
Please submit your nominations, with rationale, to the Barbara Sims Committee (c/o firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 1, 2020. The winner will be announced at the AGM and his/her name will be placed on the Barbara Sims Award plaque.
- Mistakes We Keep on Making - Monday February 24 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Spring Lesson Schedule has been posted. Classes begin April 14.
- Oshawa Spring Sectional - February 29 – March 1
Parking - Please see map posted at club identifying no parking areas
It has been brought to our attention, once again, that we monopolize the parking lot for extended periods of time to the detriment of our neighbours. Good faith efforts by all our members with respect to parking will go along way in demonstrating to the landlord that we would like to continue to reside at this location at a fair and reasonable rate. The following are just a few suggestions of ways we can be better neighbours.
- Carpool whenever possible (reduce the number cars/parking spaces)
- Park in both the back and front lots (not directly in front of retail stores)
- Please leave a minimum of 6 to 8 parking spaces vacant directly in front of the Dollar Store.
- Park between the yellow lines. (Don’t take extra space.)
- Walk / take public transit.
In addition to our Hosting program, we are looking to compile a list of members who live very close to the club (10 minutes or less) to be on our call-in list. From time to time, for various reasons, the Director would like to be able to call someone in to play. If you are available and you come in to play, you will play for free. Please send an email or let a Director know you are interested and what games you are available for call-in.
Suggestion Box Update
It has now been more than two months since we installed the Suggestion Box, so the Board thought it appropriate that we update the members.
We must be doing most things very well, because we have had only a modest number of suggestions;
- Replace the pencil sharpener – Great suggestion and a new sharpener has been purchased
- Prorate memberships – the board discussed and decided against. We do not want to create a bureaucratic nightmare tracking the partials, nor to create a precedence for those who have second homes or travel extensively. Most new members enter through one of our courses and are already receiving a membership as part of the tuition. Members joining in November receive 14 months. The membership provides excellent value in the purchase of only 2- 10 game cards alone, as well as special game premiums.
- Match host at least 15 minutes before game time. This is our policy, but unfortunately singles do not always arrive that early, and the Directors are asked to accommodate all-comers if possible
- Daytime Christmas Party – another good suggestion which we plan to adopt for this holiday season
- Don’t use Styrofoam, since it is not recyclable. Once the current supply is consumed, we will only purchase recyclable materials
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to make these suggestions. Remember, we are a member run organization and we want to hear your ideas. Keep them coming.
Filling Out Your Convention Card
At least one member (preferably both) of every partnership needs to have a completed convention card. The club has provided a number of instructional binders in the front bookcase to guide you through this process. Come early or stay after the game and review/complete your convention card with your partner. This will surly help in minimizing your bidding misunderstandings and a completed convention card is the law.
Great support last week but we require a host for most games this week. Please sign up or send an email to the club with your availability. If you are coming without a partner, please ensure that you arrive at least 20 minutes before the game time so that we can match individuals.
From the survey results, it seems that many people have concerns about slow play at our club. The attached document provides helpful hints on how we all can help reduce / eliminate this problem. Click here for the "Avoiding Slow Play" document.
“MEMBER ACHIEVEMENTS FOR JANUARY 2020”
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL
NEW CLUB MASTERS
NEW SECTIONAL MASTERS
NEW NABC MASTERS
NEW REGIONAL MASTERS
NEW LIFE MASTERS
NEW BRONZE LIFE MASTERS
M. Louise Blair
NEW SILVER LIFE MASTERS