I’ve missed seeing you all at the Harrisburg Bridge Club as we’ve been forced to suspend operations for the past 15 months due to the pandemic. Some of you have enjoyed playing on BBO in our South Central PA virtual club games, while others are anxious to resume playing face-to-face (F2F) bridge so you can once again sit at a bridge table with your friends.
The HBC Board met on Thursday and WE ARE REOPENING for F2F bridge on July 5th! The virtual club games will also continue to be available.
The Board of Governors wants to assure you that the HBC is doing all it can to promote your health and safety when you return to play bridge at the Club. Some simple rules:
1. All players and volunteers who are fully vaccinated must provide proof of vaccination the first time you enter the Club so we can record your vaccination status in our database. Please bring your vaccination card or a photocopy of it on your cell phone. Masks for all fully vaccinated players are optional, although good practice if immunocompromised or at risk for colds, flu, or any other infectious illness.
2. Persons who cannot or choose not to be vaccinated, or who do not provide proof of vaccination, must wear face masks at all times while in the Club. Masks will be provided if you don’t have one.
3. Please do not come to the club if you have a cough, fever, or another symptom of an infectious illness.
4. The HBC does not accept responsibility if you get sick while playing bridge.
5. Hand sanitizer will be available on the tables for your use.
6. The Club will offer coffee and tea and some prepackaged candy and snacks for free. Cold bottled water and sodas will be available, at a cost of one dollar.
The club will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized by a professional contractor before we open.
The initial schedule of virtual and F2F games has been developed and will be continually scrutinized to ensure it meets our needs. Here's a link to the combined F2F and Virtual Game Schedule.
HBC Virtual Schedule.xlsx
The initial F2F games will be held on Monday July 5th (note: games will be free during the week of July 5th, and will cost $5 for the remainder of July):
1. All games for the first two weeks of July will be NAP Qualifiers (Double Points, Half Red/Half Black)
2. The Monday through Thursday afternoon games will start at 12:30 vs. 12:15.
3. We will resume our popular Tuesday evening 0-1500 game at 7:00 PM on July 6th. Note that the upper point limit will now be 1500 - mentors above 1500 points will no longer be eligible.
4. We will also resume our Monday evening beginner’s game at 6:30 PM on July 12th, but this game will now be 0-200. The plan is to begin offering refresher training for less experienced beginners later in the summer, with the intent to start a 0-50 or 0-20 game on Monday evenings after that training commences.
5. We plan to offer an evening Swiss teams game in late July, with specifics still being ironed out.
6. Once we assess the impact of this initial schedule, we will make accommodations to best support our membership.
Important - since we need to test out our equipment before resuming regular games, we will hold a test game on Thursday June 24th at 9:00 AM. This game will be a NAP Qualifier (Double Points, Half Red/Half Black), will be free to all participants, and will complete in plenty of time for you to get home to play in the Thursday afternoon virtual club game if you want. No signups are required - you can either show up with a partner or come by yourself and we’ll pair you up with another player
We’re looking forwarding to once again playing the game we all love F2F with our friends, and hope you’ll be able to join us as we resume operations.