I hope this note finds all of you well. I thought it would be a good idea to update all of you on what I know of the status of Bridge in general and the Harrisburg Bridge Club specifically. The ACBL has been particularly cautious, canceling all tournament events through July. We intend to continue to monitor ACBL, Pennsylvania, Cumberland County, and Camp Hill Borough policy related to the requirements to be met to reopen HBC for face-to-face play at the Club. We will always err on the side of caution and make the choice we need to in order to keep all of you safe. Based on what we learn, we may have to create new policies related to cleanliness and sanitation for those who attend games at the Club. For example, we MAY do the following:
· * Make hand sanitizer and wipes readily available and require their use at the tables.
· * Require the use of Face Masks.
· * Request that you maintain “Social Distancing” as much as possible when you are away from the table.
· * Suspend providing food at those events where we have done so in the past (Swiss, Brunch and Bridge, Continental Bridge, etc.). We will still run these games!
· *Possibly other approaches as we learn more.
· * Before we again begin to play at the Club, we will have the Club completely “Deep Cleaned”, Disinfected, and Sanitized.
How Are The Finances?
As Members you have a right to know the financial status of the Club so you have some assurance that it will be there when all of this is over. While the suspension of In-Club play has certainly put a “Dent” in our finances, we have taken steps to reduce our outlays by suspending our trash and cleaning contracts and keeping our thermostat at maintenance levels to reduce our utility bills. As many of you know, we are receiving income through the Virtual Club offered through Bridge Base Online. While the amounts we are seeing are nowhere near what we would see if the Club were open, it appears to be enough to cover a reasonable portion of our monthly costs. If you haven’t tried joining the Online Games, I encourage you to do so. It is not as hard as you might think and there are people in the Club ready to help you get started. Simply contact me if you are interested.
Are we still going to be here? Yes! Due to your support of games at the Club over past years, we have managed to build a healthy reserve that we are confident will get us through this. When we DO reopen, we fully intend to coordinate with the other five clubs in the South Central PA online consortium in deciding how long to stay together as an online club so that we can all open simultaneously when the time is right.