Card deals using our card dealing machine take place at 6:30pm. All members are welcome to attend at that time to witness card deals in support of open and honest play.
Gloucester Bridge Club
Minutes of the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING held on
24th May 2018 at Elmscroft Community Centre
1. The meeting opened at 6:30.
Present: ++++ (23 members)
(++++ arrived towards the end of the meeting)
2. Minutes: The minutes of the previous AGM (25th May 2017) meeting, and the Special General Meeting (18th January 2018) had been circulated. Their approval was proposed by ++++ and seconded by ++++ and, being passed nem con, were duly signed.
3. Matters Arising: none
4. Chairman's Report:
++++ reported on a very successful year for the club with good numbers playing, the use of BridgeMates and the addition of the dealing machine to our technical capabilities. He commented on the generous loans and donations from members which had made this possible.
We would most probably not be meeting at Elmscroft from January 2019, and that the committee were following up leads for new premises.
++++ reflected on the recent death of Bill Smith a former member of the club.
++++ announced that he was leaving the role of Chairman after 2 years. In doing so he thanked his predecessors, ++++ and ++++, for all they had done to put the club on a forward path. He also thanked the current committee for their hard work, especially ++++ (Secretary) and ++++ (Treasurer). ++++ and ++++ (Website) were also thanked for their contributions.
5. Treasurer's Report:
++++ had distributed copies of the balance sheet, which showed that the balance of funds in the bank and in hand had fallen from £3093.01 to £709.08 — mostly on account of having purchased the dealing machine. It also showed loans outstanding to members amounting to £2100. There being no questions, ++++ proposed acceptance of the accounts which was agreed nem con.
It was also stated that the club was receiving some assistance from the GCBA, and ++++ was following up a possible contribution from the EBU to help with the purchase of the dealing machine. It was anticipated that the new committee would soon be able to assess the position and make a substantial repayment of the members' loans.
6. Captain's Report:
++++ reported that players from the club (++++) had won the Bredon Vale Cup.
We had lost the Hannaford but won the Smyth sections of the match against Cheltenham.
++++ and ++++ had won the Cotswold Cup.
The fixture against Newent had been discontinued.
There had been a new club match against Tewkesbury, with 4 teams per side, which we had won. This was to become a new annual fixture and was on the calendar for next year.
Several of our players, formerly of EDF, had come top in the Cleverley Cup.
++++ hoped to field a team in the Bredon Vale next year and asked for anyone interested to let him know.
7. Amendments to the Constitution:
++++ had done a great deal of work redrafting our Constitution to bring it up to date and aligned with the EBU model constitution. Copies had been circulated and the committee had unanimously agreed the changes, but it needed approval from the AGM. The new constitution was proposed by ++++ and seconded by ++++, and the vote passed nem con.
8. Election of Officers: the following were elected to ex officio positions on the committee -
Chairwoman ++++ Secretary ++++
Captain ++++ Treasurer ++++
9. Election of committee: the following ordinary members were elected -
10. Although it was understood that we did not need an official auditor, ++++ was again asked to scrutinise our accounts.
11. Any Other Business. ++++ suggested that next year's Vowles competition should not be split into two sections, but run in one section throughout, with the Cup going to the winners and the Salver for second place. ++++ said that the new committee would be reviewing this.
12. Presentation of trophies. The following trophies were presented by ++++:
Vowles Cup ++++
Vowles Salver ++++
Johnson Cup ++++
Jubilee Bowl ++++
Ladies’ Pairs not awarded (as there was no competition)
Men’s Pairs ++++
Mixed Pairs ++++
Parr Trophy ++++
Summer Pairs ++++
The AGM closed at 7.00 p.m. - and was followed by Pairs (6½ tables)