This page has information and news of interest to the members. For a full list of forthcoming events, see "Calendar" on the menu and for a list of results see "Results".
|Learn and Play Club -
Northfield Learners - Learn and Play Club:
- Will adhere to the EBU ‘Best Behaviour at Bridge’ code
- Will allow participants to refer freely to any course notes, aides memoire, and each other etc. to clarify the meaning of various bids and calls
- Will always have an experienced bridge teacher/player available for participants to refer to for bidding and/or play guidance.
- Will aim to play between 12 and 16 boards in a session of approximately two and a half to three hours on Thursday evenings, starting at the Weoley Castle WMC 158 Barnes Hill B'ham B29 5TY.
- Currently £4.00 per player per session (but no charge first week! Come and have a look for free first to see if you think it would suit you.) A significant proportion of table fee has to be expended on room hire. If numbers increase, costs will be reviewed.
- Participants are advised to become EBU student members, so if they not already members they will be recommended to join, for a cost of just £10 p.a. There are benefits that flow to individuals from being a member of the EBU including a diary, six magazines a year, various communications of direct relevance to bridge learners etc.
The club is aimed at two distinct groups of people:
- Those who have had a basic introduction to the game of bridge but who may feel too intimated or too inexperienced to ‘jump in at the deep end’ and play the game at a ‘proper’ bridge club.
- Those who have recently finished their year one Learn and Play – Beginning Bridge course
Because the club’s primary purpose is as an extension of a learning course and so as not to unduly confuse the students, bidding is politely asked to be restricted to the use of:
- 12-14 balanced 1 No Trump openers
- Simple Stayman 2♣ (you can use this, if you prefer as well, if your partner overcalls 1NT)
- Weakness take-outs or 2♦ /2♥ transfers as a response to 1 No Trump
- 2♣ - Will be 23+ or 9+ playing tricks. A Negative of 2♦ to show less than 7 HCP. A second negative of 2 No Trumps to show less than 2 HCP. Two clubs is is a game force bid, apart from the sequence 2♣ - 2♦ - 2NT
- Strong, but not forcing, opening bids of 2♦/2♥/2♠ are allowed.
- Blackwood 4NT. (Gerber allowed immediately over 1NT or 2NT only).
- 2NT openers – 20-22 HCP. Balanced. Any reply MUST be a game force except for 3♦ /3♥ transfers responses .
- Weak three or four opening bids are allowed. Defence – double for take-out. Bid a suit holding 5 or 6 cards in the suit and opening points. No Trumps is to play.
- Any discard system is allowed, as are attitude signals etc. (if you are familiar with them).
|Last updated : 24th Jan 2020 15:49 GMT