Minutes of the Meeting of the Claygate Bridge Club Committee held at 10.00 on the 12th August 2019 at Torrington Close
||Gavin Wilson (GW)
||Elected Committee Members:
||Yvette Barton (YB), Muriel Hodder (MH), Kay Wilson (KW), Pauline Harris (PH)
||Co-opted Committee Members:
||Other Club Members:
1. Apologies for Absence
2. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on 15th April 2019
The minutes of the meeting of 25th February 2019 were agreed and signed by the Chairman.
3. To Report on the Actioning of Items from Previous Meetings
- 19-2Ⓐ3 PH to send updated membership list to GW. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
- 19-2Ⓐ4 GW to produce 2019/202 Calendar Card, in a lower quantity than last year's. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
- 19-2Ⓐ1 GW to solicit feedback on the club website on the Level Two proposal. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
- 19-2Ⓐ2 GW to modify the club's formal Sims policy statement on the website. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
- 19-2Ⓐ6 KW to remind all hosts with duties coming up over the next 5-6 weeks. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
- 19-2Ⓐ7 GW to remind members of forthcoming Bank Holidays on 22nd April and 6th May when the club will not open. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
4. Chairman's Report
GW expressed his view that the Club was trundling along nicely apart from the usual problems — i.e. scoring system, number of scorers, number of directors etc.
5. Treasurer's Report
Nearly all members have paid their subs for the year. The committee agreed that the Club should remain in the EBU, as many members (particularly the newer ones) valued English Bridge magazine together with the accumulation of masterpoints.
- 19-3Ⓐ1 MH to return £5 of annual sub to player who has just joined.
- 19-3Ⓐ2 Rogue handset J, which has caused too many scoring problems, will be written off.
6. Proposal to make Claygate an EBU Level 3 club
GW said that he thought it important that the Club state what complexity of bidding conventions it would accept. He said he believed that the Level 4 designation (which the Club currently uses) could lead to the membership facing too many complicated systems, and that the Club should adopt Level 3. He said that Level 3 is basically the same as the "novice" Level 2, but with the 2♦ Multi also permitted. See https://www.ebu.co.uk/documents/laws-and-ethics/blue-book/blue-book-2019.pdf for a full description of the various levels. The commmittee voted unanimously to adopt Level 3 for the Club for the time being.
- 19-3Ⓐ3 GW to update the Club's website.
7. Electronic Scoring — Progress Report
Two more handsets have been purchased. The more tables the Club has, the more handsets required and the higher the workload on the WiFi router, and the greater the demand on the spare handsets waiting in reserve.
8. Recruiting More Directors
Julie Gardiner's offer to direct three sessions this year was much appreciated. The Club needs to have a roster of at least three regular directors to guarantee its viability.
- 19-3Ⓐ4 GW to advertise on the Club website any director training sessions planned by the EBU.
- 19-3Ⓐ7 GW to investigate whether a more powerful WiFi router could help the Club.
9. Recruiting More Scorers
BridgePal scoring is a technical job which requires some competence on both the PC and the Android handset. If the scoring system's reliability could be improved, it is believed members would be less reluctant to come forward to help. Aspiring scorers should be encouraged to help alongside the established scoring team.
On 9th September, neither Carol, Ruth nor Gavin is available, so the Club will revert to handwritten scoring at the table. Rowena has very kindly offered to total up the scores the next day.
- 19-3Ⓐ5 GW to order more table slips.
- 19-3Ⓐ6 KW to check the club's stationery stocks of Travellers.
10. Committee for the 20-21 season
All members of the existing committee said they were happy to be nominated for the next season, starting immediately after the March 2020 AGM. But there was a general view that new blood would be welcomed; anyone interested could be co-opted onto the committee right away.
11. Any Other Business
The committee gave its approval for the Club's boards and scoring equipment to be used at the bridge tournament planned for 24th November at Claygate Tennis Club.
11. Date of Next Meeting
The committee agreed that the next meeting should take place at 1000 on Monday 25th November 2019 at Torrington Close.