Minutes of the Meeting of the Claygate Bridge Club Committee held at 11.00 on the 21st November 2018 at Torrington Close
||Gavin Wilson (GW)
||Elected Committee Members:
||Yvette Barton (YB), Muriel Hodder (MH), Kay Wilson (KW), Pauline Harris (PH)
||Co-opted Committee Members:
||Other Club Members:
1. Apologies for Absence
2. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on 6th August 2018
The minutes of the meeting of 6th August 2018 were agreed and signed by the Chairman.
3. To Report on the Actioning of Items from Previous Meetings
- 17-3Ⓐ1 GW to provide training to the scoring team. ⓄⓃⒼⓄⒾⓃⒼ
- 18-3Ⓐ1 GW to visit Day Centre on morning of 13th August to check that it will be open in the evening. ⓓⓞⓝⓔ
4. Chairman's Report
The club is surviving, and trundling along nicely, despite the acute shortage of regular directors. GW is drawing up the 2019 Director & Scorer schedules.
Claygate Lawn Tennis Club ran a successful charity event on 18th November to which the bridge club lent some equipment. As a marketing tool, each combatant who is not already a member was given two vouchers entitling them to two free sessions at the bridge club to use when they felt they would be ready.
5. Treasurer's Report
The club remains solvent. One new member has joined. Welcome Dilwyn!
The Treasury team would like to trial the option of the electronic payment of subscriptions by members.
- 18-4Ⓐ1 PH to redesign Member Renewal form to offer members this option.
6. Electronic Scoring — Progress Report
Satisfaction with BridgePal continues to be positive. Some members have problems with the tablets because they make contact with the screen using their nails rather than their fingerpads. A few members appear to be fiddling with the devices as they wait for the next move — scorers called to solve handset problems often report that other apps have been activated on the handset, or that North has tried to switch to the Elmbridge Free WiFi router. Please don't do this.
At the aforementioned charity event, which was run in the afternoon, the computer switched itself off without warning and ran a Windows Update mid-tournament. Fortunately the players were very tolerant of this 15-minute interruption — Julie got them to play without keying their scores in until the end of the period. It had never occurred to GW that the computer would ever be used in the afternoon. He has now scheduled 'Active Hours' so that Windows Update can only occur in the morning.
7. Director Recruitment & Retention
This remains the №⓵ long-term problem at the club. GW has written to both the SCBA chairman and the EBU chief executive about this pervasive issue. The club will of course reimburse any member who wishes to train to become a director, provided they go on to direct at Claygate.
8. Xmas Party — 17th December
It was agreed to run it along very similar lines to last year's. It will be a members-only night of normal bridge, though we might decide to have a single winning pair through the use of an arrow-switch. The chairman has very kindly agreed to donate prizes for the winners. Apart possibly from the sausages, there will be no hot food — heating up food complicates the operation immensely.
- 18-4Ⓐ2 GW to announce the Xmas Party on the website.
- 18-4Ⓐ3 YB & MH to buy the food and sort out table decorations etc.
- 18-4Ⓐ4 KW & GW to buy the wine on a use-or-return basis from Majestic — probably 6x Prosecco, 6x Red, 6x White. Plus fruit juice & fizzy water.
- 18-4Ⓐ5 GW to circulate clipboard form to get an idea of likely number of attendees.
- 18-4Ⓐ6 GW to negotiate 1815 access to the Day Centre.
9. Any Other Business
10. Date of Next Meeting
The committee agreed that the next meeting should take place at 1000 on Monday 25th February 2019 at Torrington Close.