How to Get Started on BBO
Updated: 22nd February 2021
First you need to create a username on BBO, then you need to go onto BBO and play a few hands to get familiar with how it works. The more you play the easier it will get.
In addition to the tips noted below if you search 'Getting started on BBO' in YouTube you should find a number of useful videos. Click here to open an new window for YouTube.
To create your BBO username:
- Go to www.bridgebase.com and click on the red ‘Play Bridge Now’ box (see figure 1 below).
- On the logon page, click on the blue ‘Become a member (free!)’ box (figure 2).
- Fill out the details on the registration page
- Tick the box at the bottom to agree the T’s & C’s
- Click on the blue ‘Register’ box
- Within a few minutes you should receive an email from BBO. Follow the instructions in the email to complete your registration. Note: if you do not get the email straight away be sure to check your Junk mail folder.
- Logon to BBO
The process is simple. It has probably taken me longer to type these instructions then it will for you to register with BBO.
Getting Familiar with BBO
Here are a couple of ways that you can get familiar with playing bridge on BBO that do not involve anyone else.
- Bridge Master
- Go to www.bridgebase.com and click on the ‘Bridge Master’ tile.
- On the next page, click on ‘Level 1 – Beginner’, the click on deal ‘A-1’.
- You will be presented with a hand on which you are the declarer. To play a card just click on it.
- Play bridge with three robots
- Go to www.bridgebase.com and click on the red ‘Play Bridge Now’ box.
- On the login page, enter your BBO username and password, and click on the ‘Log in’ box.
- Click on ‘Solitaire’ under ‘PLAY OR WATCH BRIDGE’.
- Click on ‘Just Play Bridge (Free)’.
- A hand will appear, you are sitting south. Your partner and your opponents are all robots. Please note: the robots use the standard American bidding system. Nonetheless this is a good way to get a feel for playing on BBO.
- While you are playing, you can click on things to see what they do. For example, click on ‘Settings’ to see the various options that you have.
Figure 1 - www.BridgeBase.com
Figure 2 - BBO login page