Before I discuss bidding theory, I like to start my partnership off on the right note. Half the battle of winning is to be a good partner. So I try to adhere to the following rules:
1. Donít give lessons (unless you are being paid to do so)
2. Never say anything to your partner unless you would want him to say it to you.
3. Never ďresultĒ (criticise your partner for a normal action just because it did not work this time)
4. Never discuss a hand just played with your partner unless your intent is to clear up a mis-understanding in bidding or on defence. Therefore the only reason to discuss partnerís declarers play is that you wish to praise it.
5. If you feel the urge to be nasty, sarcastic or critical, excuse yourself and take a walk.
6. Donít forget that your partner wants to win as much as you do.
7. Donít ever criticise or embarrass your partner in front of others.
8. When you have time between hands, try to discuss topics other than bridge.
9. When you want to ask another player about a disaster, ask about your hand instead of partners.
10. Remember that you and your partner are on the same side.
11. Like your partner and root for him 100 per cent. You should feel bad about his mistakes as you do about your own.
12. If you are unsure as to whether your partner would want you to say something, donít.
13. Remember that this is only a card game.
14. Have a good time and make sure your partner has a good time also.
15. Never assume that your partner has made a mistake until the hand is over and you have time to think it through.
16. Although it may be unfashionable. It is OK to be nice to a partner that you happen to live with.
17. Think twice before verbally analyzing any hand. Donít embarrass yourself with a nasty inaccurate comment.
18. When you voluntarily choose to play bridge with someone, it is unfair to get upset (externally or internally) when he doesnít play any better than usual.
19. Never side with an opponent against your partner. Keep your big mouth shut.
20. If you are too good for a partner, or donít enjoy playing with him, do everyone a favour and choose someone else next time. That is much better than being a martyr. On the other hand donít dump a partner unless you are sure.