BRUNSWICK BRIDGE CLUB
1. The name of the Club shall be Brunswick Bridge Club.
2. The Club shall provide facilities for the playing of Contract Bridge. It may run Open bridge competitions, may provide appropriate bridge tuition, and may provide other recreational activities. It may be affiliated to the Northern Ireland Bridge Union and may affiliate to other bridge organisations.
3. The overall authority in the Club shall be the members in a General Meeting. The Officers of the Club shall be the President and the members of the Committee.
4. The President shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting for a period of 3 years and shall be eligible for re-election for one further period of 3 years. A nomination for the office of President may be made to the Annual General Meeting by the Committee. The President shall act as the guardian of the interests of members and shall seek to ensure that members act in harmony at all times. Although not a member of the Committee, the President shall have the right to attend its meetings and the Committee shall take the President's views into consideration.
5. The Committee shall consist of the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Master Points Secretary, immediate past Chairperson and three other members. The Vice-Chairperson, elected at the Annual General Meeting, will become the Chairperson for the following year and will remain on the Committee for a further year after relinquishing the office of Chairperson. A nomination for the office of Vice-Chairperson may be made to the Annual General Meeting by the Committee. The Secretary, Treasurer, Master Points Secretary and the three other members of the Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. They shall hold office for one year and shall be eligible for re-election.
6. The Committee shall have full powers to manage the Club between General Meetings including authority to :-
(i) make rules for the management of the Club
(ii) control and manage the finances of the Club.
(iii) elect new members who must be nominated by two existing members.
(iv) fill, by co-option, any vacancy among the Officers. Such co-opted Officers shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting.
(v) caution, suspend or expel a member whose conduct is deemed to be prejudicial to the interests of the Club. The member concerned shall have the right to make personal representations to the Committee about the disciplinary matter and shall have the right of appeal to a General Meeting.
7. The Committee shall hold as many meetings as are deemed necessary and five members shall form a quorum. The Committee shall keep correct accounts and records showing the receipts, expenditure and financial affairs of the Club. It shall make an audited Financial Report and a Report on its work during the year to the Annual General Meeting.
8. Life membership may be bestowed on a member by a General Meeting upon the recommendation of the Committee. Members (except for life members) shall pay an annual subscription by a date determined by the Committee. Any member, whose subscription remains unpaid two months after the due date, shall cease to be a member but may be reinstated by the Committee up to the date of the next Annual General Meeting.
9. The Annual General Meeting shall be held during May. Motions, duly proposed and seconded by at least two members, must be submitted in writing to the Secretary not later than twenty-one days before the date of the Annual General Meeting. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called at any time by the Committee. Upon the written request of at least fifteen percent of the members, the Committee shall call an Extraordinary General Meeting within one month. Members shall be given at least seven days notice in writing of the date, time and venue for a General Meeting together with the agenda for the Meeting.
10. The quorum for a General Meeting shall be at least one-third of the membership. The Annual General Meeting shall receive Reports from the Committee, shall conduct elections for the Officers and the honorary Auditor, and shall deal with the other business included in the Notice of the Meeting. An Extraordinary General Meeting shall deal only with the business included in the Notice of the Meeting.
11. Voting at a General Meeting shall be by a show of hands unless decided otherwise by the Meeting. Proxy voting shall not be allowed. Decisions shall be by simple majority except as provided for in paragraphs 12 below. The Chairperson shall have a casting vote in the case of a tie.
12. The Club may be dissolved only by a majority of two-thirds of the members present at an Annual General Meeting or Extraordinary General Meeting voting for closure. The net assets shall then be divided evenly among all the members.
13. This Constitution shall be amended only by a majority of those members voting at a General Meeting.
This Constitution was adopted at the AGM held in May 2019