Please note that the Thursday Afternoon Duplicate session now starts at 1.45.
Lessons are held every Monday at 3.15 pm in Nolton Church Hall. We are now into the second year of the course. Lessons will be resumed on 6th. January 2020.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB AGM HELD ON 24 JANUARY 2020
The minutes were agreed as a true record of the meeting, Proposer Dave Lea, Seconder Norma Newman.
There were no matters arising.
The audited accounts and Treasurer’s Report (see Appendix 1) for the year were tabled. There were no queries.
The accounts were accepted as a true record, proposed by Dian Jones and seconded by Glyn Williams.
A written report was tabled. See Appendix 2.
There were no queries.
Members were asked to submit suggestions to the Committee for this year’s designated charity.
Success was celebrated as follows:
Max Powell Rose Bowl: Vida Halford and Glyn Williams
John Raymond Transport Cup: Teresa Griffiths, Chris Rawlings, Tony Ratcliff and Julian Pottage
President’s Cup: Gill Wybrow and Bill Turner
Club Pairs: Tony Disley and Mike Best
Mixed Pairs: Linda Pinnock and Steve Burgoyne
Summer Competition: Debbie Lea
Club Teams: Tony Disley, Kevin Maddox, Tony Ratcliff and Julian Pottage.
Club Handicap Pairs Jenny Vaughan and Tony Disley
The Chairman offered his thanks to Steve Burgoyne who is retiring as Chairman, Teresa Griffiths who is retiring as Hon Secretary and Irene Thomas who is retiring from the Committee after 21 years. A presentation was made to Irene in recognition of her long service.
David Newman was proposed as Chair and Steve Burgoyne as Secretary. Geoff Barnett was proposed as the new committee member. The remaining Committee and Officers were re- elected en bloc.
Approval proposed by Glyn Williams and seconded by Chris Rawlings.
Dave Lea queried as to whether the Club should continue to participate in these competitions. After a vote it was recommended that British Sims be discontinued and Celtic Sims be continued. This is a recommendation for the Committee to consider at the next meeting.
The meeting closed at 7.15pm.
TREASURER’S REPORT 2019
The points I would highlight are the purchase of a new Duplimate machine and its treatment , the decline in Table Money and the reduction in Hall Hire costs.
The Duplimate was purchased in January for £3240 . It was decided to write this cost off over 5 years , although the expected life is far longer. The depreciation meant that a small excess of income over expenditure for the year was reversed resulting in a deficit of £427.
The decline in Table Money resulted from the smaller number of players as highlighted in our Chairman’s Report . There is no appetite to increase charges for table money or subscriptions as we wish to encourage more players rather than the reverse . We need more members and existing members to play more , perhaps on times of the week when they do not now do so.
An absence of a caretaker in the evenings and our assuming responsibility for locking up [thank you Glyn] led to a reduction in Hall Hire charge for the evening sessions . Going forward we have negotiated a rate for all sessions that is an increase on the previous afternoon rate but a substantial discount on the evening rate .
The Balance Sheet is strong and we have sufficient cash in reserve to cover future expected Capital Expenditure together with a number of years of modest deficits . However the vibrancy of the Club does need bigger table numbers .
The Bridgemates are in poor order . The Committee are considering the merits of a.repairing existing b. Buying new bridgemates c. Replacing with new system using tablets .
I apologise that I will not be at the AGM but please do not hesitate to ask if you would like further elucidation on any point.
Chairman’s Report 2020
Although 2019 was a challenging year for the club, with numbers dropping on both Wednesdays and Fridays, there were some excellent individual and team performances by club members during the year. Julian Pottage and Tony Ratcliff, our club champions, won the inaugural National Champion of Champions event, pipping another club member, Tony Howarth, who came second with Rob Charlesworth, representing Pencoed. Tony Haworth had a good year as, playing with Kevin Maddox, he won the West Wales Open Swiss Pairs as well as the Area Mixed Pairs, playing with Emer Disley.
Bridgend players were also well represented in the Western Area Teams contest (The Laidlaw-Murray) which was won by Liam Sheridan, John Beard, Mike Best and Kevin Maddox, with Keith Davison a member of the second place team and the outfit of Club President Bill Turner, Marjorie Morris, John Evans and Steve Burgoyne coming third.
In other National Competitions, David and Norma Newman were part of the West’s successful President’s Cup team, with Jenny Vaughan in the winning Spickett sextet. In the National Teams of Eight we were unable to repeat our triumph of a couple of years ago, but, after a slow morning, we came back strongly in the afternoon to finish second. In the British Summer Simultaneous Pairs, Julian Pottage and Tony Ratcliff came second in a field of over 500 pairs. They were also part of the winning team at the summer congress in Newport.
The most recent National success was recorded by Tony Disley, playing with Adrian Thomas, who won the top rank of the graded masters in a very strong field.
Tony Disley has also been successful in local congresses, winning the Men’s Pairs at Porthcawl, also with Adrian Thomas, The Swiss Pairs with Mike Best, and also being part of the victorious team in the Swiss Teams. Another fine achievement for Tony was to come second in the pairs at the Cheltenham Congress, playing with Somerset’s Eric Cummings. Just to prove that club members can flourish across the border, Debbie and Simon Richards triumphed for the second time this year at the Malvern Congress.
It was also good to see that four of our players recently emerged from beginner’s classes, Hilary and Peter Rowley and Viccy Andrews and Rosemary Gold, coming joint second in the no fear event at Porthcawl.
We have a very enthusiastic group of learners, who are now on the second year of the course, and already four players from the last two years are playing on Thursday afternoons.
As I retire from the Chair the two main issues facing the club are not that different from when I joined the committee over ten years ago – declining numbers, largely as a result of the demographic, and establishing a balance at club nights between the highly competitive players and the social players. The new committee will have to look at the situation on Wednesdays in particular, a night on which we had to abandon two sessions in the days leading up to Christmas. It may be necessary to devise a system to identify likely low numbers to prevent players making unnecessary journeys to the club. Even on Fridays, traditionally a strong night in terms of attendance, numbers have dropped and social events, such as the wine and cheese and the dinner, no longer seem to attract the crowds of revellers they once did, which is an issue of opportunity cost for those running these events, as well as a financial concern.
It looks as though afternoon Bridge, or even morning Bridge, may be the way to go in the future, with some of our members now reluctant to emerge in the evenings, especially during the winter. It is certainly time for a fresh hand on the tiller and for some thinking outside the box if we are to realise the full potential of the club, so I would urge more members to come forward with ideas and to be prepared to commit, either formally or informally, to moving the club forward over the next decade.
I must end by thanking those who go the extra mile for the club, be it officers, or those who, while not on the committee, still undertake tasks such as getting cup engraving done, organising social events or producing the club calendar. Special thanks to Teresa Griffiths, who is leaving the committee this year after serving three years as Club Secretary, and also Irene Thomas, retiring after nearly three decades on the committee, much of which was spent as Club Treasurer. At present we have nobody willing to take on the secretary’s role, so, I reiterate the appeal I made in the paragraph above for somebody to come forward and take on this vital role.
We have a good venue, no financial issues, a superb director and some hard working officials, so let’s get behind them in 2020.
Steve Burgoyne January 2020
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 27 NOVEMBER 2019
STEVE BURGOYNE; TERESA GRIFFITHS; GLYN WILLIAMS; GARETH JENKINS; IRENE THOMAS; TONY DISLEY; DEBBIE LEA
The minutes were agreed as a true record of the meeting.
2.2.3 A meeting was held with the temporary administrator who has replaced Angela She knew very little about the existing arrangements between the Club and the church and wished for new contracts to be put in place. TD indicated that no bills for room hire had been received since May. This has now been rectified.
SB and TD have subsequently met with the church treasurer. It was agreed that the current agreement for reduced room hire of £6.60 per hour will continue until the end of the year. From 1/1/20 the Treasurer offered an hourly hire rate of £8 across all 4 club sessions. This is a reduced rate compared to the full room hire rate of £14.90. TD recommended that this amount be accepted by the committee. Committee unanimously agreed.
2.6.2 TG has mapped out a process to operate the duplimator.GW has reviewed the process and it will be tested by other club members.
No nominations have been received to replace the outgoing secretary or for members willing to join the committee. There has been one offer to act as Chair, and this will be discussed at the AGM.
Jane Morgan has been booked as caterer for the NY party which will take place on 17 January for a maximum of 52 persons. The cost of the tickets will be £15 and on sale for next week.
The Thursday party will take place on 12 December. Members will bring in food and the club will provide the wine.
The President’s Cup is now scheduled to take place on 6 December. TD will organise the cheese and wine.
The AGM will take place on 24 January. Club members will be asked for agenda items and nominations for committee members both via email (SB) and the website (TG).
It is important that there are sufficient people trained to direct, operate the club scoring software and to use the duplimator so that all club sessions run smoothly. This will need to be reviewed on a regular basis.
An advanced director course is being facilitated by Tony Howarth on 14 January. The notice will be posted on the website (TG).
A draft Income and Expenditure account was tabled and discussed. The final audited accounts will be presented at the AGM.
The cost of the new duplimator is reflected in the accounts and it was agreed that the capital cost would be depreciated over a 5 year period.
It was agreed that subscriptions and table money will remain the same for 2020.
8.1 BRIDGEMATE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT.
Consideration to be given to purchasing new key pads for Bridgemates at a cost of (20 each, or replacing the Bridgemate system with tablets at a cost of £30/£35 each, as used by some other clubs. Dave Lea will be asked to provide costings for further consideration by the Committee.
The meeting closed at 6.55pm.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 15 MAY 2019
STEVE BURGOYNE, TERESA GRIFFITHS, TONY DISLEY, GLYN WILLIAMS, LEILA O’HAGAN, DEBBIE LEA, GARETH JENKINS; IRENE THOMAS
2.7 The Committee was delighted to note that the Club representatives to the Champion of Champions competition, Julian Pottage and Tony Ratcliffe, won the competition. Many congratulations.
2.8 SB consulted with the regular players at the Thursday afternoon session regarding the start time. The consensus was that the present 2pm start suited them best. The start time will remain unchanged.
The use of the Dunraven Room has been trialled for the Friday night session. The feedback from members is that the room is too small. Friday night sessions will revert to the main hall. GW reported the financial impact on room hire as follows:
Wednesday sessions - loss of £250 approx. in the year to date.
Thursday sessions – overall profit
Friday sessions – £23 loss approx. in the year to date.
SB reported that the Dunraven Room will be free on Wednesdays from 31 May.
AGREED: Wednesday sessions will move to the Dunraven Room from 31 May for a trial period of 3 months.
UPDATE POST THIS MEETING. When SB contacted the administrator to change the Wednesday booking to the Dunraven Room, she agreed that we could continue to use the main hall at the same rental as the Dunraven Room, roughly half the cost, which solves the financial loss situation.in view of this, Wednesdays will remain in the main hall.
In an attempt to increase Friday night numbers, it was suggested that Thursday players be offered to play with an experienced player one Friday per month to introduce them to the evening sessions.
It was agreed that committee members could make urgent decisions without recourse to a full committee meeting, but that all members should be emailed of any decision taken outside of the main meetings.
The WBU Policy requires an individually signed contract from each club member.
AGREED. The WBU draft privacy notice requiring signature will be used from next year when membership is collected.
GW has circulated a list of keyholders. It was agreed that 2 more keys will be cut.
ACTION: A rota will be prepared for opening up and will be posted on the website.
A business process will be drawn up for use of the Duplimator machine to
facilitate use by club members when required.
Attendance figures show an overall loss of £280 in the calendar year to date. This figure does not include any other expenditure.
8.1 Although not strictly Bridgend Club business, IT wished to share with the committee information about this year’s Porthcawl Congress. The Seabank has recently cancelled the booking that was made last November to hold the Congress in that venue as usual. She was then faced with finding an alternative venue that would be suitable for the Congress. The date of the Congress will now be 15-17 November, and the venue will be at the Hi Tide.SB supported the decisions that IT had been forced to make.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 25 SEPTEMBER 2019
STEVE BURGOYNE, TERESA GRIFFITHS, GLYN WILLIAMS, LEILA O’HAGAN, GARETH JENKINS; IRENE THOMAS
2.3 Angela has left the employment of the Parish administration and so there is uncertainty as to whether the half price room hire for Wednesdays is still valid. SB has emailed the new administrator to clarify.
2.6.1 This action will be discussed at the next meeting when DL will be present
2.6.2 TG has sat with GW to map a process and will draw up a draft as soon as is possible.
There are no volunteers yet to replace the outgoing Chair and Secretary. A notice will be placed on the website and noticeboard to advertise the vacancies. It should also be mentioned in meetings.
Club members have indicated that the box is too heavy to lift. The position of the box in the storage cupboard has now been changed so that the box can be accessed without moving it. Further permanent solutions are under consideration.
It is useful for club members to understand what the Committee is discussing on their behalf. Compliments have been received by the Hon Sec over the past 3 years from club members on the practice of sharing of a full set of minutes to keep members fully informed.
If matters of a confidential nature are discussed, this will be minuted under an agenda item headed as such, and this item will not be published.
AGREED: Minutes will continue to be published on the website.
The dates were agreed as follows:
NY Party 17 January 2020
AGM 24 January 2020
It was agreed that the NY party catering would continue in its current successful format. Prices will be discussed at the November meeting.
No update on finances in the absence of the Treasurer.
It was reported that averaged table numbers are as follows in the calendar year to date:
Wednesdays 4.1 tables
Thursdays 4.8 tables
Fridays 5.4 tables.
This shows a reduction of a full table a week as compared with last year.
8.1 BANKING OF TABLE MONEY
If the Treasurer is absent IT banks the cash. It was agreed that in the absence of both, another committee member will undertake the banking in order to obviate the necessity of leaving monies in the club cupboard.
8.2 THURSDAY ROTA
GW indicated that he could not always commit to the rota because of his work commitments. He indicated that he will participate when possible.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 13 FEBRUARY 2019
STEVE BURGOYNE, TERESA GRIFFITHS, TONY DISLEY, GLYN WILLIAMS, LEILA O’HAGAN, DEBBIE LEA
2.2.3 The new membership form has now been drafted.
In view of the continuing small numbers and reducing table monies, GW had proposed at the AGM that the use of the Dunraven Room at evening sessions should be considered to cut costs. SB will enquire about the availability of the room. If feasible, this could then be piloted. This will be on the agenda at the next meeting to discuss further.
The possibility of changing one or more of the sessions to afternoon bridge is under consideration. SB will enquire about the availability of the room. This will be on the agenda at the next meeting to discuss further.
Individual tasks were discussed. Emer D has agreed to continue to facilitate any social event, eg cheese and wine etc. John E has agreed to continue to update the calendar. To this end he was formally elected as a sub-contractor so that he can still access the administration area of the website. The upkeep of bidding boxes has been assumed by DL.
6.1 TD explained the correspondence he has received from the WBU. There are issues surrounding the WBU management structure. Following the resignation of the CEO, an acting CEO is in place. The correspondence outlines ideas for the future management structure, and asks for clubs’ input into the decision making on this. It was agreed that copies of the correspondence would be sent out by email to club members, and also posted on the notice board, asking for comments.
6.2 A letter has been received from a faculty member of the University of Stirling asking for donations for research to be undertaking on the sociology of bridge. It was agreed that the club does not have the available funds to support this request at present.
It was agreed that the club would pay the table money for this event, as the candidates will be representing the Club.
The base funds of the club now stand at around £7000 following the purchase of the new duplimating machine. No further update.
This will no longer be a standing agenda item.
10.1 A request was made by DL that Thursday afternoon bridge begin half an hour earlier in order to facilitate attendance by members who also wish to play in the evening. SB commented that the opinion of current members playing on Thursday afternoon would need to be sought.
10.2 It was agreed that winners of all internal club competitions would be awarded a bottle of wine in future. TD will arrange.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB AGM HELD ON 25 JANUARY 2019
The minutes were agreed as a true record of the meeting, Proposer David Newman, Seconder John Henson.
The designated charity for last year was the British Heart Foundation...
The audited accounts for the year were tabled. The Treasurer reported a small excess of income over expenditure for the year, despite table money being slightly down.
A new duplimator has been purchased at a cost of £3200, this being funded from the club’s reserve fund. The reserve after this expenditure stands at just over £7000. One Club member asked how these funds could be used for the benefit of club members. The Treasurer indicated that any suggestions from members would be welcome, and would be considered by the Committee.
Discussion ensued as to how table numbers could be improved, with suggestions made on advertising the beginner classes more widely, moving an evening session to the afternoon etc. These suggestions will be considered by the Committee at the next meeting and every effort will be made to think creatively as to how to increase table numbers.
The accounts were accepted as a true record, proposed by Marjorie Morris and seconded by Dian Jones.
A written report was tabled. See Appendix 1.
The Chairman offered his thanks to John Henson for providing the bar and David Newman for his work behind the scenes. The Chairman thanked all members who help at the Thursday afternoon sessions, but indicated that ideally more members were required to assist at these sessions.
Max Powell Rose Bowl: Debbie and Simon Richards
John Raymond Transport Cup: Irene Wickham, Andy Robertshaw; Marjorie Morris, Bill Turner
President’s Cup: Gareth Jenkins and John Evans
Club Pairs: Tony Ratcliff and Julian Pottage
Mixed Pairs: Vida Halford and Glyn Williams
Summer Competition: Irene Thomas
Club Teams: Tony Disley, Kevin Maddox, Simon Richards, Julian Pottage.
Club Handicap Pairs Jim Hume and Dave Reed
The Chairman offered his thanks to John Evans and Emer Disley who are retiring from the Committee.
The remaining Committee and Officers were re- elected en bloc. Leila O’Hagan and Debbie Lea were elected as the new committee members.
Glyn Williams indicated that he had explored the option of moving less supported sessions to the Dunraven Room, which will hold 4/5 tables. This would be a considerable saving, as the room rental is half of that for the main hall. It will be discussed at the next committee meeting.
BRIDGEND BRIDGE CLUB CHAIRMAN’S REPORT 2019
In terms of trophies, 2018 was less successful for the club than 2017 as we were unable to retain the Welsh Teams of Eight title. Nevertheless there were some notable achievements by club members, including Norma and David Newman’s triumph in the John Isaac, as well as Alan Heath and Rob Forman topping groups 2, 3 & 4 nationally in the Graded masters. Tony Disley and Simon Richards were in the team which won the Laidlaw-Murray, Mike Best and Kevin Maddox won the Green pointed Swiss Pairs in September and Tony Howarth, playing with Rob Charlesworth, won the equivalent event played last January, not to mention a successful raid on Cardiff by several club members playing in the Patrick Jourdain Teams.
Numbers on Wednesdays and Fridays continue to disappoint, especially Fridays, where there has been a significant decline in attendance over the past few years. In contrast Thursday afternoons continue to flourish, and this seems to point the way to a need for more afternoon Bridge –several local clubs have introduced such sessions with some success.
Bridge lessons continue to flourish. We have one regular beginners session on Monday afternoons with a dozen learners on the books, plus another group of even less experienced learners meeting when we can fit it in. We also run an improvers session on Thursdays at 1.00, before the afternoon play session, and this is usually well attended.
As always, our ability to continue enjoying our Bridge depends upon the commitment and selfless contribution of committee members and office holders, as well as other members who “muck in” and make sure things happen. I would like to thank all of them for their work, and to mention in particular John Evans, who is stepping down after over a decade of service, which has included many roles, including re-energising our teaching programme. Also Emer Disley, who has been very active during her time on the committee, but is now also stepping down. It is important that we do not rely too heavily on a small number of willing helpers and that we spread the load as much as possible if we wish the club to flourish. All of us have something to give and I would like to think that all club members will offer something towards the general good, either formally or informally at some point while they are members. We need more people who are capable of directing and using the technology, including our new dealing machine, to relieve the burden on Glyn Williams in particular, who shoulders a huge responsibility as TD for ensuring our events runs smoothly, as they always do thanks to his expertise. Thursday afternoons in particular would benefit from more members prepared to join the rota of helpers and organisers.
Fortunately we have nominees to replace John and Emer on the committee and all the other members and officers have agreed to remain for 2019, though Teresa as Hon. Sec. and myself as Chair had intended to retire this year, but we have agreed to serve one more term. After that you will really need to find a new Chair and a new Secretary – this is definite, so the search needs to start now. We need new blood and ideas to take the club forward.
SGB Jan 2019
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 28 NOVEMBER 2018
STEVE BURGOYNE, TERESA GRIFFITHS, EMER DISLEY, TONY DISLEY, GLYN WILLIAMS, GARETH JENKINS, JOHN EVANS
2.3 The creation of a new membership form is outstanding.
2.8.2 BEGINNER LESSONS.
The Monday class is continuing as previously reported. SB has commenced an extra class numbering 8 persons, which is being held on an ad hoc basis at present in SB’s home.
The AGM will be held on Friday 25 January 2019. The draft agenda was agreed except that the minutes should be named 2018 not 2017.
4.1 NEW YEAR PARTY
The party will be held on 11 January 2019. ED has contacted Jane Morgan to confirm the price. It was agreed that the ticket price will £14. Maximum numbers are 52, and tickets will be sold on a first come first served basis. TD agreed to purchase the drinks required for the party. ED had discussed menu options with Jane Morgan, and it was agreed that Gratin Dauphinoise will replace new potatoes. Apart from that, the Committee were happy to leave the menu as in previous years.
4.2 THURSDAY AFTERNOON PARTY
This will be held on Thursday 13 December. Members will provide the food and the Club the drinks, as in previous years.
All officers of the club have agreed to continue for the following year to 31 December 2019, at which point the Chair and the Secretary will be stepping down. We have one committee member vacancy for the year beginning 1 January 2019, and nominations to fill this position will be sought. An email will be sent to club members giving full details.
6.1 The Treasurer had nothing further to report. A full update for the year will be provided at the AGM. No invoice for room hire has been provided for some time. TG will request invoices up to date. For the coming year, the Treasurer proposed that table money should remain the same and membership fees only to be increased if WBU fees augment. The Treasurer indicated that in view of falling table numbers, the Club accounts may show a small deficit for this year.
6.2 TABLE NUMBERS. Period 1/1/18 to date shows a fall of 55.5 tables, split as follows:
6.3 DUPLIMATING MACHINE. The machine has broken down and therefore the boards will need to be dealt before each session until this is resolved. GW has arranged for Cowbridge Club to duplimate SIMS boards for the club. GW will arrange for an electrical engineer to inspect the machine to see if a repair is possible.
6.4 BRIDGEMATES. A decision is required on whether the machines should be repaired, or replaced with tablets. Committee will discuss this further in the New Year.
7.1 The calendar has been updated on the website up to September 2019.
7.2 It was agreed that if Celtic SIMS takes place in 2019, then the club will not participate in the EBED SIMS.
7.3It was agreed that in view of the low numbers attending the social duplicate session in 2018, that it will not be repeated in 2019.
7.4 NOVEMBER CIN SIMS. Consideration will be given to the club participating in the Friday session only in the coming year.
The issue that was raised by the church with parking on Thursday afternoons has not yet been resolved, and so members should continue to park in the spaces previously designated for use. TG will request an updated list.
The meeting closed at 6.55pm
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 12 SEPTEMBER 2018
STEVE BURGOYNE, TERESA GRIFFITHS, EMER DISLEY, TONY DISLEY, GLYN WILLIAMS, GARETH JENKINS, IRENE THOMAS
2.5 CALENDAR. The initials EBDU should read EBED.
Subject to the above amendment, the minutes were agreed as a true record of the meeting.
It was agreed that the Club would field 2 teams. TD will captain Team 1 and SB will captain Team 2. The composition of the teams will be at the discretion of the captains. At the time of the meeting, this competition was scheduled for 9 December 2018.
UPDATE: Subsequent to the meeting the WBU has confirmed that the Graded Masters will take place on 9 December. Teams of Eight will take place on 3 March 2019.
The party will be held on 11 January 2019. ED will contact Jane Morgan to confirm the price. This will be further discussed at the next meeting.
SB and TG have agreed to continue until 31/12/19 as Chairman and Secretary respectively. The Club should make arrangements to fill these posts from 1 January 2020. JE has indicated that he wishes to resign as committee member as from 21/12/18. Nominations for a replacement will be sought.
6.1 The Treasurer reported that the club finances are currently stable and are breaking even, although invoicing for use of the hall is much in arrears. Table monies are also down.
6.2 TABLE NUMBERS. Period 1/1/18 – 3/09/18 shows a fall of 40.5 tables, split as follows:
Discussion ensued as to whether a hosting system would assist to boost numbers, but it was agreed that this has not proved successful in the past.
8.1 It was reported that the ladies toilets are now much cleaner. An email will be sent to express our appreciation.
8.2 BEGINNER LESSONS
SB has 12 candidates this year, but with few complete beginners. He has been approached to run a complete beginner course. This is currently under consideration.
The meeting closed at 6.50pm
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 16 MAY 2018
STEVE BURGOYNE, TERESA GRIFFITHS, EMER DISLEY, TONY DISLEY, GLYN WILLIAMS, JOHN EVANS, GARETH JENKINS
2.4 It was noted that club members enjoyed the recent social evening very much, and felt it was a success. Numbers attending on Friday nights have improved since then. GW noted that, statistically, attendance is down 35.5 tables in the calendar year to date as compared with 2017.
The Club must ensure that the storage and use of members’ personal data must conform to the new European regulations that come into effect on 25 May 2018. In order to be compliant, the following actions were agreed:
3.2 A new membership form will be created, asking for signed consent from new members when they join.
The Treasurer reported that the club finances are currently stable and are breaking even. It was agreed that the charity donation for this year would go to the British Heart Foundation.
It was decided that the club would not support the EBED SIMS next year, reducing the annual SIMS participation to 9 events, 8 on a Wednesday and Children in Need on a Friday.
6.1 Dates of availability for the next 2 committee meetings are to be requested by email.
6.2 The WBU newsletter, accounts and minutes are now posted on the club website.
6.3 It was queried as to whether a rota was required for key holders/directors for club sessions. Following discussion it was agreed that the current system works well.
The meeting closed at 6.45pm
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 21 FEBRUARY 2018
STEVE BURGOYNE, TERESA GRIFFITHS, EMER DISLEY, IRENE THOMAS, GLYN WILLIAMS, JOHN EVANS, GARETH JENKINS
10.2 A further set of boards has been purchased by GW as agreed.
There has been a problem with the heating over the past couple of weeks. The heating has not been on at the start of the evening sessions and the caretaker has had to be called. This has meant that the hall has been inadequately heated for most of the session. It was agreed that SB would see Angela in the office tomorrow and ask that this be resolved without delay, and in the interim that the caretaker visits the hall to check before each session.
Further concern was expressed about the reducing numbers attending club sessions. GW reported that in the first 7 weeks of 2018, attendance is down by 11 tables compared to the same period last year. It was agreed that action was required to improve members’ attendance. It was agreed that a committee member should assume responsibility for contacting members who stop coming to the club. If a member is suffering from ill health this will enable the club to maintain supportive and appropriate contact. Whilst the club will not usually send flowers, in exceptional circumstances it was agreed that this should happen.
In the event of members losing their regular partner, the club may assist with this.
AGREED: ED will assume this new responsibility.
It was also suggested that Friday night sessions should be a more social bridge session that the wider membership will enjoy.
AGREED: A social evening of bridge will be held on a Friday night in Spring. This will be a cheese and wine evening with a handicap format. GW indicated that he could give a handicap to any member who has not yet played on Friday evenings to facilitate this event. It is hoped that newer members who attend the Thursday afternoon session will be encouraged to attend.
The seminar in question will now take place in Bridgend on 19 March 2018. In that the event is local, the question of travelling expenses is no longer relevant.
Apologies received from the Treasurer, so no update available.
No further update.
GW informed the meeting that new Data Protection Regulations from the EU will come into force on 25 May 2018. This will affect the way in which e mail addresses are used to contact members. Action will be required by the Club to meet the new requirements.
AGREED: TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE NEXT COMMITTEE MEETING
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB AGM HELD ON 19 JANUARY 2018
1. APOLOGIES. Bill Turner; Marjorie Morris; Margaret Williams; Linda Pinnock; John Evans; Christine Evans.
2. MINUTES OF 2017 MEETING AND MATTERS ARISING
The minutes were agreed as a true record of the meeting. There were no matters arising.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT
The audited accounts for the year were tabled. The Treasurer reported a small excess of income over expenditure for the year, despite table money being slightly down. It was reported that there were about 50 fewer tables as compared with last year. Attendance on Friday nights has fallen considerably. However, attendance on Thursday afternoons has increased.
The accounts were accepted as a true record, proposed by Glyn Williams and seconded by David Newman.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
The Chairman offered his thanks to David Newman who is retiring from the Committee and for his work as Press Officer over the past year.
The Club New Year party held on 10 January was an extremely enjoyable event. The Chairman gave his thanks to Committee members who had contributed to the success of the evening.
The Chairman noted the growing popularity of the Thursday afternoon club session. He thanked all members who assist. It would be helpful if more members were available to assist at that session.
5. CHARITY EVENTS
The charity donation for 2017 was slightly less than previous years, mainly due to lower numbers attending the charity events. No decision has yet been reached as to the charity that the Club will support in 2018. Members should email their suggestions to Club Secretary Teresa Griffiths for consideration by the Committee.
6. PRESENTATION OF PRIZES
Max Powell Rose Bowl: Liam Sheridan and Glenda Roberts
John Raymond Transport Cup: John Henson and Dian Jones; Glyn Williams and John Beard
President’s Cup: Steve Burgoyne and Linda Jenkins
Club Pairs: Glyn Williams and Irene Wickham
Mixed Pairs: Liam Sheridan and Glenda Roberts
Summer Competition: Gareth Jenkins
Club Teams: Tony Disley, Kevin Maddox, Simon Richards and Julian Pottage.
Club Handicap Pairs Colin Lewis and John Moore
7. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS
The Committee and Officers were re- elected en bloc. Gareth Jenkins was elected as the new committee member.
The meeting closed at 7.20pm.
BRIDGEND BRIDGE CLUB CHAIRMAN’S REPORT 2018
The highlight of the year was the club winning the National Teams of Eight championship in June, having qualified first from the West. I hope that we will be able to enter two teams at least this year, as there are a number of pairs capable of playing at this level and who would benefit from playing more teams events. Individual successes were mainly recorded by Vida Halford and Glyn Williams, who won the Western Area Mixed Pairs in November and shared the Fishguard Multiple Teams Championship with fellow club members Irene Thomas and Jenny Vaughan in May.
Thursday afternoon sessions continue to flourish, and it may be that afternoon Bridge is the future, as numbers at the evening sessions have been disappointing, especially on a Friday, which used to be well supported. Social events are generally well attended, so it may be that we need to organise more of these occasions in the future. I don’t think that friendly, social bridge and competitive Bridge are necessarily incompatible, and it is that balance which the committee has been trying to strike for some years now.
I would like to thank all the members of the committee for their hard work during the year, especially Glyn, our director who seems able to solve almost any problem. As David Newman is retiring from the committee at this meeting I’d like to give special thanks to him for all his service to the club over the years, as chairman, Press Liaison Officer and cellarman – I hope he may be persuaded to at least continue with the last role as he seems able to source some excellent wine at reasonable prices for our “dos.”
Once again this year we have had to note the sad passing of some dear and long standing members of the club in Dennis Smith and Ray Smith, both of whom are sadly missed in the local Bridge community, as is Terry Evans, who used to be a Friday regular here until a few years ago.
Finally, I’d like to give notice that I will be standing down at next year’s AGM. This is partly because of other commitments, and I intend to continue with the teaching and tidying up the website if the club wishes me to, but partly because I think the club needs new leadership to arrest the decline in numbers and provide fresh impetus and ideas for the years ahead. By the end of this year I will have been involved in the running of the club for nearly a decade, and, despite my efforts, we have not shaken off the image of a club where it is quite tough to play. Only a small number of the players who have passed through our classes are now playing regularly in the evening sessions, though many come on a Thursday, and I think this is in part to do with perceptions about the reception they may receive. I’m not convinced that the criticisms levelled at the club are fair, but it is very difficult to overcome an adverse reputation, deserved or not, and to build a positive one. I feel that I have failed to build such a positive reputation here in Bridgend, and I don’t believe that, after ten years, I have anything fresh to offer, so I would lie to hand over to a more forceful and dynamic Chairman, hopefully with excellent marketing skills, who can restore the fortunes of the club in terms of playing numbers. You have a year to find such a person.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 22 NOVEMBER 2017
STEVE BURGOYNE, TONY DISLEY, TERESA GRIFFITHS EMER DISLEY, IRENE THOMAS GLYN WILLIAMS, JOHN EVANS, DAVID NEWMAN
3.1 It was agreed that the annual subscription charge for Club members for next year will be as follows:
£15 for club members whose home club is Bridgend (no change)
£10 for those affiliated to other clubs.
This will be announced at the AGM
3.2 David Newman will resign from the committee at the end of this year. Nominations to replace him will be requested from Club members. Nominations should be forwarded to Teresa Griffiths.
Tickets will be priced at £13, with a maximum of 52 tickets going on sale. Priority will be given to Club members in the event that the evening is over subscribed. Members will be asked to bring prizes for the raffle.
There is currently an initiative by the WBU to promote bridge in Wales by encouraging new people to take up the game. A half day seminar will be held regarding the teaching of bridge in local clubs. SB and DN expressed interest in attending.
The Club will be open in between Christmas and New Year if there is sufficient interest from members.
This will be held on 14 December and will commence at 1pm. Members will be asked to bring food, and the Club will provide liquid refreshments.
The finances of the Club are stable. A small surplus is currently projected for the year.
The calendar has been updated to the end of August and is available on the Club website under Club Events.
10.1 TEAMS OF 8
Discussion ensued as to the Club entries to this competition for this year. It was agreed that the Club will field an A and a B team if numbers are sufficient. The teams will be selected by the Team captains, and his/her decision on selection will be final. A vote was taken on this subject with the results as follows:
10.2 THURSDAY AFTERNOON BOARDS
The duplimated boards from Wednesday evening are currently being used for this session. This is not satisfactory as the Wednesday results are posted on the websiteafter play finishes on Wednesday evening, with details of the boards played.
It was agreed that a further set of boards will be purchased so that all three sessions in the week will have a different set of duplimated boards.
The meeting closed at 7pm
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 27 SEPTEMBER 2017
STEVE BURGOYNE, TONY DISLEY, TERESA GRIFFITHS EMER DISLEY, IRENE THOMAS GLYN WILLIAMS, JOHN EVANS
2.3 The total amount to be donated to our Alzheimer charity now amounts to £242, including £125 raised by John Henson from the “bar” takings. This will be presented shortly.
16 club members were eligible for this competion. (I.e. played with a minimum of 3 different partners over the 5 weeks of the competition.) It was queried as to whether the prize for this competion be increased. It is currently a bottle of wine. This will be discussed at the next meeting.
Concern was expressed at the dwindling table numbers, particularly on Friday. It was suggested that one of the contributory factors is that when someone is away their partner does not seek another partner to play with. It was suggested that if members are going to be on holiday that they mention to a club partner finder that they will be away. Their regular partner can then be approached to see if they would like an alternative partner to be found.
AGREED: 2 more partner finders will be appointed, making a total of 3, to facilitate this. To be an agenda item next time
Members should restrict disagreements at the table with their partner in deference to other players. Post mortems should take place after all the boards are played in order to ensure that play progresses at a reasonable pace.
SB reported that the WBU are prepared to sponsor a “No Fear” event for improving players. This could perhaps replicate the current local Inter Club Challenge, but for improving players.
AGREED. TG to contact Porthcawl and Pontyclun to see if they would be interested in such an event.
The finances of the Club are currently holding their own viz a viz income and outgoings.
It was pointed that that the second week of the Club pairs completion will be affected by the absence of quite a few involved players. After consideration of the calendar it was decided that it was not possible to change the date because of other club commitments.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 21 JUNE 2017
STEVE BURGOYNE, TONY DISLEY, TERESA GRIFFITHS, DAVID NEWMAN, EMER DISLEY, IRENE THOMAS GLYN WILLIAMS, JOHN EVANS
The number of attendees was very low. This was attributed in part to the fact that it was held on the Friday of the Spring half term break, when members were away or had family duties. It was agreed that next year this week should be avoided.
The total money taken that evening was £117.50. The Club donated funds to cover the food, wine and hall cost. This amount will be donated in total to this year’s charity, which will be in support of Alzheimer’s disease. This amount does not include profit made by John Henson’s bar, which is usually included in the annual charity donation.
TD will establish from John H the amount from bar takings and the total donation will be made to include this. Club members will be updated as to the final amount following the next Committee meeting.
AGREED: The President’s Cup night will not include a charity element this year. This only occurred last year because we had missed the planned event earlier in the year. The number of charity events to be run next year will be discussed at the AGM.
4 FINANCIAL UPDATE
The Committee reviewed the accounts and projected yearly outcome. The balance sheet is showing that the Club remain marginally in the black for this current year, but declining numbers could jeopardise the Club in the future.
Table numbers from 1 January 2017 to date were supplied:
5 CALENDAR UPDATES
6.1 Congratulations were offered to TD and his team on their recent success in the Teams of 8 competition.
6.2 Tournament directors are reminded to ensure their awareness of news laws coming into force in the Autumn.
6.3 General discussion ensued about the observation of the laws and etiquette of bridge at the table. All members should ensure that they observe the rules of the game.
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 12 APRIL 2017
STEVE BURGOYNE ( SB), TONY DISLEY (TD), TERESA GRIFFITHS (TG), DAVID NEWMAN (DN), EMER DISLEY (ED), IRENE THOMAS (IT), GLYN WILLIAMS (GW), JOHN EVANS(JE)
The minutes were agreed as a true record of the meeting, with one amendment. Responsibility for Club Teams will be assumed by Steve Burgoyne (SB).
There has been an enquiry from members who belong to multiple clubs regarding the practice of charging a flat rate membership, regardless of which club is responsible for payment of WBU subs. The flat rate membership of £15in Bridgend is inclusive of WBU subs. With the exception of Cardiff and Cowbridge, all clubs in the local area follow the same practice as Bridgend.
The Thursday beginner lessons given by SB are progressing well. Currently, additional seminars are given by SB & JE in between the finish time of lessons and the start of afternoon Club session. SB intends to start a new beginner class in September. There will also a 45 minute seminar delivered from 1pm to enable the current beginners to progress in their knowledge.
The subject of the pace of play on Thursday afternoons was raised. This is an open session, although gentle, and members have commented that the rounds are rather slow.
Formal updates will commence in June. TD reported that attendance is up by 3.5 tables over the week compared to last year. This is mainly due to the popularity of the Thursday afternoon session.
5 AOB None. The meeting closed at 6.40pm
MINUTES OF BRIDGEND DUPLICATE BRIDGE CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 8 FEBRUARY 2017
The minutes were agreed as a true record of the meeting, with one amendment. The first paragraph should read “…..it had been decided that we should not enter the Spring British SIMS…….”.
3a MEMBERSHIP AND SUBS. It was agreed that annual subs should be paid by the end of March latest. After that date table money will be charged as to a non-member.
3b RECORD MAINTENANCE. Glyn updates the member website. Currently David produces the attendance lists. Glyn will assume this responsibility.
3c PAYMENT OF SUBS TO WBU. Glyn and Tony will work together to produce accurate listings.
3d. INSCRIPTIONS OF TROPHIES. Emer will assume responsibility for this.
3e. John will continue to maintain the Club calendar
4a. PORTHCAWL CONGRESS – will be held on 1,2 & 3 December 2017.
4b. CLUB MIXED PAIRS – will be held on 24 Nov and 8 Dec 2017.
4c. CLUB TEAMS – will be held over 2 weeks on 11 & 18 Oct 2017. This will be publicised well in advance via general email to all members and club announcements.
4d. COMMITTEE MEETINGS FOR 2017 – will be held on 12 April, 21 June, 13 Sept and 22 Nov 2017. Teresa will book rooms in advance for the year.
5a. Tony will submit quarterly budget reports beginning in June to track Club income/expenditure.
5b. It was agreed that Glyn should trial cross IMP scoring on a Wednesday evening. Club members will be informed how this works on the night.
5c. Teams of 8. It was suggested that there should be 2 teams entered next year if it is logistically possible. This will be discussed further on the June agenda.
5d. It was agreed that the past Chair will act as Vice Chair if necessary.
Bridgend Bridge Club AGM Friday 20th. January 2017 Nolton Church Hall
The meeting stood in silence before business commenced in memory of two very long serving members of the club, Mildred Trigg-Knight and Ray Smith, who had passed away during the year.
Apologies were received from Linda Pinnock
The minutes of last years AGM were agreed and there were no matters arising.
Treasurer: The treasurer presented the accounts, noting that there was a deficit of £386.49 during the year, largely due to a fall in attendance. This was a year with no significant capital expenditure, so, while the reserves are healthy, it is clearly important to try to boost attendance to avoid a steady diminution in the club’s finances. She pointed out that the WBU is raising its subscription, so the club would need to do likewise. The proposal that Subs. Should go up to £15 was passed unanimously. This was Irene’s last report, as she is retiring after many years service as treasurer, which was greeted with sadness and grateful applause.
Chairman: He praised the work of Irene as Treasurer, who had made such a major contribution to the club over many years. He also thanked the other members of the committee for their hard work and support, as well as commending those who taught lessons and supported the Thursday afternoon sessions, resulting in new players joining the club. He praised Tony Disley and the team of eight for winning the area heat and wished them all the best for the final. He urged members to be positive about the club at all times and to bring any issues they might have to the attention of the committee. He also urged members to arrive in good time so that we can be seated at 7:00 ready for play, which should enable us to get organised more quickly and play more boards. He ended with a quote from Times Bridge Correspondent Andrew Robson: Don’t underlead an Ace in a suit contract is not a rule, but a guideline. The only rules are, “Follow to the suit led and be nice to your partner and courteous to your opponents.”
Charity: Last year we supported the Samaritans. This year it was felt appropriate to support a charity which addresses Dementia or Parkinson’s Disease, with the majority of members favouring the former, though several felt we could split the funds raised between two charities.
Drinking Receptacles: There was a proposal that we do not use the cups in the kitchen on health grounds. There was divided opinion as some members prefer to use cups. Experience from another club indicated that it was possible to purchase bio-degradable polystyrene cups at £30 a thousand, so it was agreed that we would do so and offer drinkers a choice of container.
Subsidising of the Annual Dinner: The Chairman explained that the Annual dinner had been heavily subsidised even with the rise in price this year. It was agreed that the club should charge a more realistic price next year (£14 per ticket), and that we should try to secure the services of the same caterers.
The prizes were then presented and the present committee was re-elected. The Chairman and Treasurer were standing down, and failing other nominations or volunteers, Steve Burgoyne was prepared to resume the Chairmanship and Tony Disley to take over as Treasurer, with Teresa Griffiths taking on the Secretary’s role. This was agreed by the meeting. As neither of the ex-officers was leaving the committee, there was no need for any further members to be elected. The Chairman pointed out, however, that it was good to get fresh blood onto the committee and he hoped that we would have some new members next year.
There being no other business, the meeting closed at 7:30.
Bridgend Bridge Club AGM Friday 20th. January 2017
Present: David Newman, Irene Thomas, Emer Disley, Teresa Griffiths, Tony Disley, Glyn Williams, John Evans & Steve Burgoyne.
The Minutes of the last meeting were agreed.
We have operated at a small loss this year and there is concern about declining attendances. It was agree that we should use the mailing system more often to advertise club events.
There was a wide-ranging debate about the subsidy currently offered to those who attend the Dinner. As we have charged £10 per ticket up to now, and we are being charged £14:50 per meal by the caterer, it is clear that, once you add on the cost of hiring the hall, as well as the cost of drinks, then the subsidy per ticket is relatively substantial. While there is an argument that clubs should not run up a large surplus because the money should be spent on the members, this needs to be balanced against the consideration that members who are unable to attend this function, or, indeed, who cannot attend because numbers are limited to 52 and it becomes oversubscribed, may feel aggrieved. In view of the range of views expressed, it was decided to raise the price of tickets this year to £12.50 per person, and to consider the format and pricing of future events at a subsequent meeting. It was hoped that Bill Turner will again agree to print the tickets and they will go on sale from 1st. December.
It was agree that a small cheese and wine party for the Thursday groups would be arranged in December.
The meeting closed at 6:55
Present: Emer Disley, Irene Thomas, Teresa Griffiths, Glyn Williams, Tony Disley, John Evans, Steve Burgoyne and David Newman in the Chair.
Table Money for Sims Events: This should be put on Web-site: £5:50 -Visitors +£1
Duplimate Boards: As a result of some recent difficulties, it was agreed to purchase a new set of boards, which could be used in the duplimator.
Presidents Cup and Charity Evening:
Attendance: Concern was expressed about lower attendances. While it was felt this was a general problem, caused by a mixture of issues, there was still a question of whether the occasional behaviour of some members may put off some potential newcomers. While it was impossible to substantiate, as there had been no official complaints, there had been a suggestion that some of the beginners had not found the attitude of one or two of the regular members helpful. It was felt that it was difficult to deal with this issue without concrete evidence, other than to reiterate to members the need to be patient with less experienced players and to remember the usual niceties in their dealings with partner and opponents. It was pointed out that it is frustrating for those who have put a lot of time and effort into promoting Bridge through lessons and the afternoon sessions if those they have been teaching and enthusing are put off coming to regular club sessions.
There was also some discussion about how to encourage more of the better players in the area to attend on Wednesday nights. Various suggestions were made, including special events, though it was pointed out that the Dragon Night in Swansea has limited support. It was agreed that club, and indeed Western Area events, need to be better publicised.
Club Officers: In view of the impending retirement of David Newman and Irene Thomas, notification will be placed on the website seeking replacements.
The meeting closed at 6:50
Bridgend Bridge Club Committee Minutes 6/7/2016
Present: David Newman, Irene Thomas, Emer Disley, Glyn Williams, John Evans & Steve Burgoyne. Apologies were received from Tony Disley.
• There were still issues over the accuracy of the invoices for the hire of the hall, and the Chairman and Treasurer would resolve them.
• There had been an issue with the Sims competitions coming close together. The TD said that, if this was a concern, then we need to make a decision on which one to drop when we do the calendar for 2017.
• Our team had come 7th. in the National Teams of Eight Final
• The question of awarding averages on boards was not on the agenda as it had been raised by Tony Disley and he was unable be present at this meeting.
Lessons: This years beginners course finished in June. Some of the beginners are now playing on a Thursday afternoon, and short lessons are being run prior to the play sessions so that there is an opportunity for the improvers to develop more and wider knowledge. It is not clear whether there would be a demand for a full improvers course, nor whether we have the capacity to run one. Steve Burgoyne will run another beginners course starting in September if there is a demand – some of this year’s beginners may wish to repeat the course.
Charity Evening: The Chairman stated that the fact that we had not run the charity evening as intended had caused some embarrassment. It was agreed that it should now be run in conjunction with The Presidents Cup on Friday 14th. October. We will ensure that it is well publicised in advance and it will become a special event in the club’s calendar. It was agreed that the format of the Presidents Cup would remain the same. The Secretary had consulted the President on the format and he was happy with the idea of High-Low partnerships as he liked the idea of club members mixing up for this occasion.
The John Raymond Transport Cup: Like the Charity Evening, this had slipped by this season. It will now be run on Friday 16th. September. Several members of the committee said they would be prepared to go home if there was an odd number of pairs.
WWBA Meeting: • The Secretary reported on the WWBA meeting of 5/7/2016. Unfortunately, several committee members were unhappy with a couple of rulings from recent events, and, despite the Chairman stating that it was not a matter for the committee, the ill feeling persisted and threatened to derail the meeting. It was eventually agreed that the WWBA should issue further guidelines about the conduct of tournaments, directors’ rulings and appeals, in the hope that this would clarify the correct procedures to be followed when players are unhappy with rulings and allow WWBA events to be conducted in an efficient and, hopefully, pleasant and measured atmosphere.
• The Area Tournament organiser has resigned because he felt he could not work with one of the other officials. Tony Howarth agreed to do the job for one year and Steve Burgoyne agreed to take on the role after that. • Forthcoming events were publicised-EWBA/WWBA Congress in Newport. Porthcawl Congress. Celtic Congress. It was thought that Bob Alderdice would again be running the Western Area Leagues. The dearth of entries for Novice events was noted, and it was suggested that calling the events "For Club Players” might make them more appealing in an effort to attract more experienced players who might like to dip their toes in the water of Area Competitions or Congresses.
• The Carmarthen Representative expressed concern about the WBU insistence on all members of affiliated clubs being members of the WBU, which might put severe pressure on small clubs like theirs if several members refused to join. There was sympathy for this position, but it was difficult to envisage an easy solution.
• Mention was made of a WBU fund to help clubs smaller clubs who might be in financial difficulties.
• Dates were proposed for next season’s events and will be posted on the WWBA site.
• The new Secretary, Anthony Stevens has agreed to take on the role of Webmaster and undertook to ensure the minutes were posted promptly on the website.
Monitor: The secretary reported that he was in ongoing discussions with the loss adjusters as to the level of excess we would be required to pay if we claim for the damaged monitor. It was suggested that we look at whether a larger monitor would be sensible when we do replace. There was also a suggestion that we purchase a more stable trolley. Storage might be an issue with a larger screen and/or trolley. It was decided to sort the insurance issue first before making any further decisions.
AOB: The Chairman reported that he, John Moore and Debbie Richards had gone to play Bridge with Mildred in her Rest Home, but that, sadly, it had not been possible to play because Mildred couldn’t see. The meeting ended at 6:55
Bridgend Bridge Club Committee Meeting 24.02.2016
The Chairman began the meeting by welcoming Tony Disley to the Committee.
Present: John Evans, Irene Thomas, Emer Disley, Glyn Williams, Tony Disley, Steve Burgoyne and David Newman (Chairman). Apologies: Teresa Griffiths.
Minutes: of the meeting of 9th. December were agreed. Matters Arising:
Teams of Eight:
After some discussion about selection criteria and process, it was agreed that the team should be selected by the Chairman, Secretary and Captain (Tony Disley). Any club member would be eligible, selection to be based on ability and form, not on attendance at club sessions. It was agreed that the club would enter a second team if there was enough interest from members.
Emer Disley has agreed to take over Marjorie’s role in organising the social events. Next year’s dinner has already been fixed for 13th. January, and Emer will liaise with Marjorie about the details and contact with Jane Morgan.
Irene Thomas is intending to step down as treasurer at the next AGM, when she will have done 21 years in the post. She is willing to stay on the committee, which will mean we do not lose her experience and she will be able to support her successor. Some consideration should be given as to whether aspects of this job could be shared in the future – for example, by appointing a membership secretary. As David Newman announced his intention to resign from the Chairmanship and the committee at the next AGM, some concern was expressed that we would be losing two officers at the same time, and that we should look at succession planning. It was agreed that there was no need to seek to alter the size of the committee.
Bridgend Bridge Club AGM 2016 23/01/16 Nolton Church Hall 7:00
Apologies: John Beard, Tony Disley, Rob Forman, Teresa Griffiths, John Hillman, Linda Jenkins, Marjorie Morris, Norma Newman, Glenda Roberts & Liam Sheridan
The minutes of the 2015 meeting were approved, with no matters arising.
Treasurer’s Report: There had been a very small loss on the year, but we had incurred unusual expenditure in updating some of the IT equipment, which we had obtained at a competitive rate thanks to the efforts of Dave Lea. There were no questions and it was proposed by Alan Grant, seconded by Dave Lea, that the report be accepted. Agreed unanimously.
Chairman’s Report: The Chairman thanked the committee for its hard work during the year, singling out the expertise and hard work of the club’s Tournament Director, Glyn Williams, and also the Secretary. He pointed out that Marjorie Morris was retiring after many years service on the committee and as an officer, and it was agreed that she be appointed an Honorary Life Member of the club in recognition of this service. He mentioned the success of the lessons this year and thanked the team of helpers who run the lessons and the Thursday Afternoon Duplicate sessions. He emphasised that lessons over the past few years had brought new members into the club and that we need to continue to encourage new members, while, at the same time, catering for the many experts we have among our membership. In this context he listed the successes enjoyed by club members over the year, highlighting the International selection of Simon Richards and Julian Pottage for The Camrose and sisters Irene Thomas and Jenny Vaughan for The Lady Milne. Winners of Western Area events were John beard and Tony Haworth (Vince Bevan) , Linda Pinnock and Vida Halford (Ladies Pairs), Julian Pottage and Tony Ratcliffe (Porthcawl Teams) Tony Disley and Roger Penton (John Isaac), and the last four combined to win the Laidlaw Murray Teams.
Charity Events: £1,170 had been donated to charity last year. No specific charity had yet been nominated for this year, but it was agreed, on the Chairman’s suggestion, that we once again support The Samaritans.
Presentation of prizes as follows: Handicap Pairs: Emer Disley and Debbie Lea. Max Powell Rosebowl: Ann Fox and Steve Burgoyne. John Raymond Transport Cup: Glenda Roberts, Liam Sheridan, Dave Reed, Jim Jim Hume. Summer Competition: Liam Sheridan. Club Teams: Rob Charlesworth, Tony Haworth, Julian Pottage, Simon Richards. Presidents Cup: Eileen Mahoney and John Evans. Mixed Pairs: Jenny Vaughan and Tony Disley
Elections: The Committee and Officers were re-elected en-bloc, with one vacancy. The meeting closed at 7:20
Bridgend Bridge Club Committee Minutes Wednesday 9th. December 2015
Apologies: Marjorie Morris, Emer Disley. John Evans
Present: Glyn Williams, Irene Thomas, Teresa Griffiths, Steve Burgoyne and David Newman (Chair)
The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as an accurate record.
There are 17 students enrolled in the class. The first course of lessons will end on 17th. December, and a new set begins on 7th. January. Steve is using the WBU Acol Course to provide a structure, and has had help and advice from Keith Butler, the WBU teaching co-ordinator, as well as from Dave Barwood. and is very grateful for regular help on Thursdays from Dave Lee, who also set up the new equipment, John and Christine Evans, and Teresa Griffiths, as well as to Ann Fox, Marjorie Morris and David Newman who have helped when the regulars were not available. There was some discussion about the future of classes. Steve felt that his present group would need a great deal more tuition and does not want to abandon them to start a new beginners class next autumn. It was suggested that a possible solution might be for the class to have supervised play, with their own movement, on a Thursday afternoon, once their course of lessons is complete. If a new beginners group starts next September, in addition to two Thursday pm groups, it might be necessary to try to involve more club members in supporting these ventures.
The increased numbers on Thursdays and Wednesdays have produced a more healthy income this year, though Friday numbers are down. There has been expenditure on new equipment to help with the teaching. The laptop, of course, is available to replace the old PC when necessary/appropriate. The uncertainty over the hall billing makes it difficult to assess the overall financial situation at this stage. Full report at the AGM.
Term of office of Club Office Holders:
David proposed that there should be a limit on the number of years members should hold official positions in the club. He believes it is healthy if there is a regular influx of new blood, and he has agreed to serve only two years as Chairman. He felt the only exception should be the Tournament Director, as this was such a specialised position. There were mixed feelings about this idea, as there was concern that some of the posts, such as Treasurer, would be difficult to fill. It was agreed that the issue should be an item on the agenda of the AGM.
David raised the issue of the name of the club. He felt that we should consider calling it “Bridgend Friendly Bridge Club”. There was again a mixed reaction, and committee members agreed to think about it and discuss the idea at a future meeting.
The meeting closed at 6:45
Bridgend BC Minutes of Committee Meeting 23/9/2015
Present: David Newman (Chair) Glyn Williams, Marjorie Morris, Emer Disley, Irene Thomas , John Evans and Steve Burgoyne. Apologies were received from Teresa Griffiths.
The minutes of the last meeting were agreed.
Presidents Cup – 23rd. October. Will be a pro-am, with partner allocation on the night. Members will be welcome to play with their regular partner if they prefer, but will not be eligible to win the cup if they do so. David has organised the wine and Marjorie the cheese for this event.
Mildred’s 100th. – November 13th. Will also be a cheese and wine. We will also need to have a cake and a bouquet of flowers. Irene agreed to source the cake and Marjorie the flowers. Irene will produce one of her special cards for the occasion. Mildred says she wants to play with John Moore rather than the President of the Welsh Bridge Union, so it was suggested that the latter might play with our President on the night. David to discuss with Gareth at the weekend. Steve to raise with Bill.
Children in Need – There was some discussion about whether we should continue to run this event on two days, but it was decided to continue for the present, especially as it was on the calendar. All proceeds to go to the charities this year. It was suggested that attendees should be asked to pay £5 for the event.
New Year’s Party - The caterer has been booked, and we must stick to the maximum of 50 diners. This means a max of 48 in practice on 12 tables, unless two people do not wish to eat, so they could make up the 13th. table with the 49th. and 50th. diners, but this seems a difficult one to organise. There was considerable discussion about the allocation of tickets and concern about long standing members missing out, but it was eventually agreed that the only fair system was first come first served, and that diners will not be put on the list until they have paid for their ticket, the price remaining this same this year at £10. Bill will be asked to print the tickets early so we can give people plenty of notice and start selling them.
a)The success of the summer competition was called into question, and also whether only one bottle of wine should be presented. It was felt that it was early days for the competition and we should persevere for now.
b)John will produce next year’s calendar along the lines of the present one.
c)Marjorie reminded the committee that she intends to stand down at the AGM, so we will need to look for another committee member.
Bridgend BC Committee Meeting – 24/6/2015 Minutes
All committee members were present, plus the club President, Bill Turner.
The minutes of the last meeting were agreed – there were no matters arising.
1. Presentation of a cup by the President, Bill Turner
The committee was highly appreciative of Bill’s generosity in offering to buy a new trophy for the club, and felt that a decision on what sort of trophy would be appropriate should be left to Bill, though he was clearly keen to sound out opinion. The Chairman asked each member of the committee to express a view on what the cup should be named and for what it should be contested. There were a variety of views around the table, but, on the issue of an appropriate competition, a consensus emerged that the new Summer Competition would not be the best one to have a prestigious cup awarded to it because of the nature of the event and its timing in the year. On the matter of what the trophy should be called, Bill’s original proposal was “Presidents Cup”, with the names of the two presidents on the plinth, which was supported by the Chairman, though there was a feeling expressed that, as Bill was presenting the trophy, it should be named after him.
Bill then explained that the inspiration for his idea came from an event held in Porthcawl, a social night with refreshments where players competed for a cup. It was agreed that this was a good idea and also that it would be good if the event was a “pro-am” with a draw for partners before the start of play Further details about how the event would be organised and when, were left to be decided at a future meeting.
The Chairman thanked the President for his generosity once again, and it was left to Bill to determine the exact nature of the trophy after further research, settle on the inscription, and, together with the Secretary, place an order.
2. IT Equipment
The possibility of purchasing a laptop and projector for teaching purposes was discussed. The laptop would also replace the desk-top computer as a means of managing club Bridge events (scoring, duplimation etc.). Glyn stated that work he had done on the current PC had made it quicker and more efficient, so there was no urgency to replace it. Steve suggested that a decision be made in principle at this point, but that no purchase be made until it was clear there were enough students to run a class this autumn – he was hoping to start classes on September 24th. It was agreed in principle to make a purchase, which the Chairman would research, seeking the advice of Andy Robertshaw, but that no expenditure would be incurred until the situation regarding classes was clear.
The meeting closed at 6.:50 pm.
Present: John Evans, Marjorie Morris, Teresa Griffiths, Irene Thomas, Glyn Williams, Emer Disley, Steve Burgoyne and David Newman in the Chair.
Matters arising from the minutes would be covered by the agenda (Thursday afternoons; publication of minutes).
Expert Players: The secretary presented some ideas which had been put forward by Tony Disley, who was unable to attend the meeting. He explained that Tony believed that the club’s efforts to improve behaviour and to foster new players had been helpful, but that the interests of the better players was not being so well catered for. He also felt that, while the idea of being welcoming had generally been taken on board, this did not always apply when expert players came to the club.
There was sympathy for the points Tony was making, and it was pointed out that a lot of the people who did not observe procedures, such as correct use of the stop card, were in fact long-standing members rather than newcomers. Glyn, as director, was already trying to instil good practice, but this was not always well received. It was agreed that we should re-iterate expectations more regularly, and ensure that all members had copies of the ideas which were produced in the booklet for members a few years ago, but which, along with the Chair’s welcoming letter, had fallen into disuse. The Chair agreed to produce some more of these booklets and ensure all new members have them. It was agreed that, while the essentially friendly nature of club nights must be maintained, so should the competitive element, and it should therefore be re-iterated that calling the director to resolve issues such as hesitations was good practice and not a hostile act.
There was some discussion about how to attract/win back some of the good players who no longer come to the club, and another of Tony’s ideas, having more teams events, was discussed. It was agreed that we should consult members about whether they would feel happy to have regular teams sessions, and also look into having a special event designed to attract expert players, rather along the lines of the Dragon Event in Swansea.
It was also agreed that members should be encouraged to use time more efficiently when operating the Bridgemates, taking coffee breaks and discussing hands, which should only be done if there is time at the end of the round. Standards of Bridge will not be improved if players have to rush to complete rounds because of unnecessary delays at other points.
Another suggestion was that we should look at putting a card on the table explaining the best ways of operating the Bridgemate machines.
Publication of Minutes: It was felt that financial details should not be published with the minutes. The Secretary agreed to remove the Treasurer’s report from the website. If members who were not at the AGM wish to know the financial situation they can always ask the Treasurer. In addition, it was agreed that, in future, draft minutes should be sent to all committee members to be agreed before publication. Any comments should be returned immediately to avoid delays in publication. The Secretary expressed mild concern that committee minutes written by committee might end up being a cumbersome process.
Lessons and the Development of New Players: Thursday afternoon sessions continued to be well supported and Steve intends to start beginners’ classes in September. However, he expressed a concern that, now that Thursdays was just play, developing players were not being given any fresh input to enable them to enhance their knowledge and skills. He was not sure how many of the Thursday group would want additional sessions – he did not believe many of them wished to sacrifice playing time on a Thursday. Teresa agreed to sound out opinion among the Thursday group. Steve stated that Dave Barwood ran very good sessions for developing players and that he (Steve) had advertised those to members of the Thursday group. Dave was quite happy to accept people from Bridgend in his classes and, if we do not have the capacity to run such classes, it seems sensible to take up this offer, if the demand is there.
One idea suggested by John Evan was to hold “pro-am” tournaments on some Thursdays, when the developing players can play with an experienced club member and receive advice accordingly. Marjorie said she was now more available on a Thursday and would be happy to help.
Post meeting note: Marjorie Morris and Bill Turner have arranged to work with Teresa and Linda on a regular basis, which might be a platform for the development of improving players.
The meeting closed at 6:45pm
Bridgend BC Committee Minutes Wednesday 11th. February 2015 6:00pm.
Present: David Newman, Irene Thomas, Glyn Williams, Emer Disley, Marjorie Morris, Teresa Griffiths, John Evans and Steve Burgoyne – so no apologies.
The Chairman started the meeting by welcoming our new committee member, Teresa Griffiths, who has taken on the role of Press Secretary
The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as a true record.
Thursday afternoon duplicate:
Some concerns expressed by regular Thursday afternoon players were brought before the committee by Teresa. The underlying issue was that the new format, involving masterpoints, endangered the essentially friendly and relaxed nature of the session. In particular it was felt wrong that the sessions should be used by experienced players to practice for major events, and it was conceded that this had been a mistake. Bearing in mind that some of those taking part were relatively inexperienced, they should not be exposed to complicated systems and conventions. On this point, it was agreed that members should be asked whether they would like an agreed “simple systems” format to apply on a Thursday. It was a worry that the better players, previously less inclined to penalise mistakes by the relative beginners, were now quicker to double for penalties. It was also considered that those running the sessions need to be more aware of the dynamics of potential pairings.
Those running the Thursday sessions felt that they were aware of these issues and were trying to address them. Getting the balance right is always difficult, but it will be particularly important when the lessons end and the “beginners” join the Thursday afternoon sessions on a regular basis (see below). It was agreed that the principle of assistance being available during the bidding, but not the play, should be continued. There was some concern that the “tutoring” element of the sessions had been lost, and some thought needed to be given as to how this can best be handled. The bottom line is that the new format is an experiment, which will be reviewed when it has been going for a few months.
Lessons: These are about to come to an end and John explained that most of the group would now like to come on Thursday afternoons. Three of the ten were regular attenders anyway, so it was likely that there would be an extra one to two tables. Ideally John would like to pair each new player with a mentor for the first session, on March 5th., but he would be asking them if that was what they wanted. It was suggested that a separate movement or teams could be organised for the less experienced players if they found the going too tough. It was hoped, however, that the experienced players would be empathetic about issues such as slow play, remembering the position they were in some 18 months or so ago. Clearly thought needs to go into how this is managed and expectations of all concerned need to be clarified.
Computer: David had taken advice from Andy Robertshaw about possible replacements. Glyn did not feel there was a need to replace yet, though he said the updates sometimes caused a problem – he would have a word with Andy to see whether these could be speeded up.
Calendar: John explained how this worked and it was agreed to keep the pattern of the year and plan a year ahead – avoiding Rugby match nights when there is a club competition.
AOB: It was reported that Tony Disley and Roger Penton had won the Trials for the Welsh Seniors Team.
The meeting closed at 6:45.
2.Minutes and Matters arising
3.Thursday Afternoon Duplicate (TG)
4.Introduction of class members to pm session on 5th. March (HJE)
5.The Computer (DN)
6.Hours of hire (DN)
7.Calendar – future events (if time and if needed)
8.AOB (If time)
Bridgend Bridge Club AGM Minutes 19.00 23/1/15
Apologies: Teresa Griffiths, Ray Smith, Tony Disley
Minutes of 2014 AGM: Proposed by Dave Lea and seconded by David Newman, these were accepted as a true record of the 2014, nem. con.
The only matter arising was the recognition of the average annual by members as recorded on Scorebridge. Once again the Chairman had not been able to highlight achievements before they were obliterated at the start of the New Year. He would try to do better next year.
Treasurer’s Report ( For Balance Sheet, clickek on menu to the left ):
Table money had increased as a result of the Thursday afternoon sessions, resulting in a small surplus for the year. The club had raised a large amount for charity, enabling us to donate £800 to our charity for 2014, The Samaritans, as well as £207 to Children in Need. She highlighted the contribution of John Henson’s drinks service to the charity figure. The club has healthy reserves, the majority being in Premium Bonds. The Treasurer’s report and accounts were approved nem.con.– proposed by John Evans and seconded by Alan Grant. There were no questions on the report
The Chairman thanked the Treasurer for all the work she does throughout the year, and also to Davis Lea for auditing the accounts.
What has been a generally good year for the club was brought to a sad end by the passing of Mel Humphries. Mel was one of the longest standing members of the club, a very good player, but above all a gentleman against whom and with whom it was a pleasure to play. He is sadly missed here, but I hope his memory will inspire those of us still struggling with this most difficult of games to play in the right spirit so we all enjoy our evenings around the green baize, treating triumph and disaster as equal bedfellows, even though most of us are far too familiar with the latter.
While I have frequently stressed that the club is here primarily to facilitate friendly competitive club Bridge; club members have experienced considerable success in the world that exists outside Nolton Hall. We have had three international representatives, Liam Sheridan and John Beard playing in the Welsh Seniors Team, captained by Laura Woodruff, in the European Championships, and, more recently, Tony Ratcliff as part of the Welsh team that enjoys a narrow lead over Ireland in this year’s Camrose, after the first weekend in Northern Ireland in early January. Tony Haworth and Rob Charlesworth have won two Western Area events, The Vince Bevan and the National Pairs qualifiers, in which they were also top of the national rankings, while Tony Disley and Roger Penton won the Welsh Seniors Congress Pairs. It is a source of some satisfaction that our club supplied 7 of the 24 pairs who contested the recent National Pairs qualifier, five of whom have qualified for the 14 table National final in March. I’m also pleased that, after a gap of several years, we are entering a team in the National Teams of Eight this year, Western Qualifying being on 1st February, so good luck to them.
Perhaps the greatest successes of the year were in the development of our Thursday afternoon “Gentle Duplicate Sessions” as well as a new beginners class, run by John Evans on a Thursday morning. We have decided to run the Thursday sessions, between two and five thirty with masterpoints, as an experiment for a few months. We believe there is a demand for afternoon Bridge, and the response so far has been encouraging, but we are aware that we must not abandon the supportive and developmental features of this session, and also that, when this year’s beginners’ class comes to an end, we need to give serious consideration to recruiting more beginners for 2015-16. Tony Disley ran some seminars on more advanced topics on several Fridays before the duplicate sessions, which were well received, and we hope to run some more in due course. It was good to see the mix of experience, improvers and beginners at the successful New Years Party a couple of weeks ago, an event that is now so popular the Chairman couldn’t even get a game, though it was worth coming just for the meal. These developments would not have been possible without the hard work of a dedicated band of members, led by John Evans and supported by Glyn Williams, David Newman and John Henson. Ensuring the Thursday sessions are staffed is quite a commitment so we would very much welcome offers of help and volunteers to join our rota, which currently has three members running Thursday sessions in turn. It is good to see that a significant number of current players have come through the ranks of our classes in recent years, and we believe we need to sustain this development programme, while mindful of the workload of those involved, who are, of course, unpaid volunteers.
While, as we have heard from the treasurer, we seem to have weathered the financial crisis which loomed over us a few years ago, numbers on Wednesday evenings have again been in decline, and the viability of this session will be called into question if attendance does not improve in 2015, so if you are in a position to encourage some of the regulars to return, please make use of your persuasive powers.
The large gaps between income and expenditure of a few years back caused us to take some drastic action, which some described as panic measures, I know, but I suppose it is generally true that people tend to be even more cautious with other people’s money than their own – I can vouch for the fact that school bursars certainly do. As well as increasing table money and charges for some of the social events, we ceased to subsidise charity evenings, by deducting hall rental from our donations, and ended the practice of club officers having a free ticket to the annual dinner. We probably should have reviewed these measures, particularly in relation to charity donations, about which some members expressed concern, in the light of the fact that we have arrested the fall in our reserves. At our most recent committee meeting we decided that we should return to the practice of giving all money collected on the evening to the charities, and that we would backdate this to the Children-in-Need event, subject to there being no objections at the AGM. There is a slot on the agenda to discuss this further should you wish to do so.
It only remains for me to thank all the officers of the club, the committee and other members, who do so much behind the scenes to ensure we can all benefit from membership of this club, which, I believe, offers remarkably good value for money. It is difficult to persuade people to undertake office, and, I suppose, you could argue that this doesn’t matter as long as the jobs get done somehow and those in place keep on going until they drop. However, it seems to me that lack of succession planning could leave the club severely exposed in the future, and one way to tackle this is for people to give us plenty of notice of when they wish to end their term of office. This is what Marjorie did a few years ago and we were fortunate that John Whateley was primed to take over, and he was doing an excellent job until his personal circumstances forced him to relinquish the post, which I have been temporarily combining with the Chairmanship. Because we have not found anybody who wishes to take on the secretarial role, I am prepared to do so, subject to the decision of the AGM, and David Newman has kindly agreed to stand to replace me as Chairman, again subject to your approval when it comes to the election of officers. In the light of what I have said about succession planning, we will take on these roles in the expectation that we will do them for two years, subject to next year’s AGM, which gives the club plenty of time to groom replacements. While continuity is important, so is fresh blood and new ideas. There were no questions on the report.
This year’s charity is to support a Bridgend teenager to have a potentially life changing operation in the United States (Details on Club noticeboard) Club Charity evening this year is on Friday 8th. May. The meeting supported the committee’s decision to include hall hire fees in future in the charity donations (see Chair’s Report above)
Prizes were presented as follows:
Handicap Pairs; John Henson and Terry Dolan
Max Powell Rose Bowl: Irene Thomas and John Whateley
Club Pairs: Julian Pottage and Tony Ratcliff
Club Mixed Pairs: Debbie and Dave Lea
Club Teams: John Henson, Geoff Tinkler, David Bowen and David Crompton
John Raymond Transport Cup: Eleanor Jones, Barrie Jenkins, Linda Pinnock, Denis Mottram
The Summer Competition was won by David Lea, but there is no trophy for this as yet.
It was proposed by David Newman and seconded by Alan Grant that Irene Thomas and Glyn Williams be re-elected as Treasurer and Tournament Director respectively
It was proposed by John Evans and seconded by David Newman that Steve Burgoyne by elected as Secretary.
It was proposed by Alan Grant and seconded by Colin Lewis that David Newman be elected Chairman.
It was proposed by Steve Burgoyne and seconded by Alan Grant that John Evans, Marjorie Morris and Emer Disley be re-elected to the committee and that Teresa Griffiths be elected to the committee. All the above agreed nem con.
The meeting closed at 19:15
In addition to the increase in table money, the committee has also decided to cease the practice of granting free membership to those reaching 80 years old. This concession will not be withdrawn from those already enjoying it, but will not be applied to those reaching 80 from January 2013 onwards.
SIMS events. We agreed to maintain the SIMs events at the current level, and to favour Welsh/Celtic events over EBU ones where possible. When there are the same hands on Tuesday/Wednesday, we will alternate with Pencoed as to which club runs the SIMs in question. There will only normally be one SIMs event on a Friday (Children in Need) and will will give reminders of Wednesday SIMs so that those who do not wish to participate can avoid them.