1. The Bookham Afternoon Bridge Club is a Club affiliated to the English Bridge Union, Bookham Community Association and Surrey County Bridge Association.
2. The management of the Club shall be in the control of the Committee, but major decisions shall be in the control of the members. The Committee shall consist of the Officers, namely the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer, Coordinator of Directors and Scorers and five ordinary members. Five members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum. The Committee shall be elected at each Annual General Meeting, with members being eligible for re-election. Nominations of Club members for Officers and ordinary members of the Committee shall be sent to the Hon. Secretary not less than seven days before the A.G.M., the approval of those nominated being obtained. The Committee shall be empowered to co-opt other members of the Club to serve on the Committee and to appoint Officers if a vacancy occurs during the year between Annual General Meetings.
3. An Hon. Auditor shall be appointed at each A.G.M. The retiring Hon. Auditor shall be eligible for re-election. The accounts of the Club shall be kept by the Hon. Treasurer and the audited accounts shall be presented at the A.G.M. The financial year of the Club shall end on 31st August each year.
4. An Annual General Meeting shall be held, of which at least twenty-one days’ notice must be given. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called at any time by the Committee, or if requested, by a minimum of one third of the members of the Club. At least twenty-one days’ notice of such a meeting must be given.
5. A resolution proposing an alteration to the Constitution must be notified in writing to the Hon. Secretary at least six weeks before the date of the A.G.M or E.G.M. and shall be passed if it receives two thirds or more of the votes cast. Any other resolution is passed if it receives a majority of the votes cast. In the event of an equality of votes, the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote.
6. Rules on the operation of the Club and any amendment thereof shall be determined by the members in a General Meeting. For this purpose the operation of the Club shall include any limit on the total membership of the Club, the procedure whereby prospective members may be admitted to the Club, and the procedure whereby any member may be excluded from the Club.
7. Annual subscriptions shall be submitted by the Committee at the A.G.M. Annual subscriptions shall fall due for payment on 1st November for the year commencing on that date, and membership shall automatically cease for those not paying within six weeks from that date. New members elected in the year shall pay the full subscription except for those elected in the period between the A.G.M. and 1st November, who will pay no subscription for this period. Table monies shall be decided by the Committee as may be necessary.
Amended 5th October 2017