We run two Mentor games each month, currently offered on BBO on the first and third Monday evenings at 7:00PM. These games are designed to provide newer players with the opportunity to play with a more advanced player against other similar pairs and receive guidance and suggestions for improvement.
How do I sign up?
Whether you are willing to be a mentor (and we always need them!) or whether you would like a mentor arranged for you, contact Roxie Walker at 713-203-5877 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Mentors have over 300 masterpoints. Only players with fewer than 300 masterpoints are eligible to have a mentor assigned to them.
Before game day (or, at least, well before the game)
- Receive your partner's contact information from Roxie Walker.
- Contact your partner and arrange a time to decide what system you will be playing. It is recommended that you play the newer player's system.
- Create your convention card in BBO and link it to your partner's BBO user name. Click here for instructions (courtesy of Unit 149).
Registration and during the game
- Please log into BBO at least 30 minutes before game time.
- The newer player will invite the mentor AND pay the mentor's game fee (☑ I will pay for for both myself and my partner). It is very important that the newer player do the inviting because it will ensure that all newer players are sitting either South or West, thus creating a level playing field.
- Bridge is a timed event. It is recommended that you save questions and comments until a review session after the game.
After the game
Hand records are available after the game. They can be viewed in the History tab or in the BBO My Hands viewer. Use whatever method of review that works for you. Some possibilities are:
- Chatting in BBO while looking at History
- Useing a Zoom meeting and screen share to step through the hands, if needed
- Emailing comments after each partner does his/her own review.
The cost for the pair entry, paid by the newer player, is $10.00.