|Teaching - Supervised Play
The purpose of these sessions is to allow players to get the best from the conventions and techniques that they use rather than teaching. Generally, they are run with pre-dealt hands and sometimes they are ‘random’ in nature and at other times topic based. The concept is to help develop bridge logic – what am I telling my partner? – What has my partner told me? What does the opposition bidding mean? How do I decide my opening lead? Is there any way that I can place key cards in certain hands? Can I give my partner a suit preference signal? The sessions are run by a number of experienced players who will review and discuss the bidding and card play to address some of the questions raised above. Commentaries on the hands are provided.
These sessions are charged at £4 per player per session.
A new fortnightly series of online supervised play on Wednesday evenings will be starting on Wednesday 19th April. This will be led by David Lewis, Barbara Seymour and Charmaine Hoey, with other regular supervisors. The main points are as follows.
- These events are available to all club members, whether well established, just graduated from Fast Track, or whatever. All are welcome.
- No teaching, but there will usually be a theme, and the first two are on defence.
- The formula is 10-12 boards, RealBridge, with a supervisor at each table. Starting at 7 o’clock, it should finish around 9 o’clock.
- Each table is independent, going at its own speed, and this allows a spectrum of tables from beginners to advanced.
- The pace will be slower than club pairs events, and for some this may help span the gap after lessons.
- Supervisors are there to give advice on bidding and play. Players all help each other.
- The cost is £4 per session, taken from club accounts based on an entry form.
- We will need to know who is attending in advance, so we have the right number of supervisors on the day.
A partner is not essential. We will pair people up if needed and supervisors will play to make up a multiple of four.
Please book via the Calendar event.