We have all been made aware of the development and spread of the Covid-19 virus over the last few months through various media and now that the first cases have arrived in Ireland, we need to make a careful assessment of our activity and the precautions needed to reduce the risks for our members.
All clubs are asked to act responsibly and follow the protocols recommended by the HSE and Department of Health. Most are listed below, but please check official health websites for any updates -
Wash your hands properly and often.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough and sneeze.
Put used tissues into a bin and wash your hands.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Try to avoid close contact with people who are not well.
Follow the Travel advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs
Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
Wash your hands
You should wash your hands:
- after coughing or sneezing
- after toilet use
- before eating
- before and after preparing food
- if you are in contact with a sick person, especially those with respiratory symptoms
- if your hands are dirty
- if you have handled animals or animal waste
If a player is displaying any symptoms, they should not come to bridge.
If they have returned from an area where the virus is known to be active, they should not attend a session of bridge for at least two weeks.
At its meeting yesterday, the CBAI Governing Council decided to postpone all National Competitions between now and the end of April. The Irish Bridge Union joined in with the postponement of the Burke and O’Connor Inter County Team Competitions which were due to be contested next weekend in the Cavan Crystal Hotel. Decisions will be made on any further IBU competitions for this season very shortly
If it is feasible, and if the possibility of infection from this virus is eliminated, the National Competitions will be rescheduled during the summer months.
CBAI will review the situation at Easter and will make any necessary decisions about further National events that are currently scheduled before the end of this season.
All the hotels who were due to host our events have been informed and all have responded very supportively.