CONSTITUTION of the ANNANDALE BRIDGE CLUB, NEWPORT
The Club shall be known as the Annandale Bridge Club (“the Club”).
- To provide facilities for playing bridge for all.
- To provide a common meeting ground for those who primarily regard bridge as a social function.
- To promote the game of bridge within our local community.
- The business of the Club shall be managed by a Management Committee appointed annually by ballot at the Annual General Meeting and shall hold office for one year only but shall be eligible for re-election.
- The Office-bearers and Committee shall consist of President, Vice-President, Honorary Secretary and Treasurer, and two other members.
- In the event of any vacancy occurring during the year in the Committee, the Committee shall have full power and discretion in co-opting to fill the vacancy.
- Three members of the Committee shall form a quorum.
- Special committees of two or more members may be appointed from members of the Committee for special purposes.
- The President or his or her deputy shall be Chairman at all meetings and shall have a casting vote.
- Powers shall be vested in the Management Committee for disciplinary control of the Club and to deal with any matter which may not be provided for.
The Club welcomes new members and operates an open membership policy. Membership is open to all and no membership application shall be refused other than on reasonable grounds. There shall be no discrimination on grounds of race, occupation, disability, sex, religion, or political or other opinion.
Membership will be regarded as being effected on payment of entrance fee and subscription.
5. Entrance Money and Annual Subscription
The entrance fee and annual subscription shall be payable by the members as may, from time to time, be determined at the Annual General Meeting of the Club.
A Statement of Accounts for the financial year ending 30th April or such other period as may be fixed by the Management Committee, duly audited, shall be submitted at the first Annual General Meeting held thereafter. The Treasurer may use digital banking procedures with permission of the Management Committee.
7. Notice of Meetings
A written notice of all general meetings shall be sent by the Secretary to each Member at least seven days before the date of the meeting.
The financial year of the Club shall end on 30th April and the Annual General Meeting shall be held at the end of the playing season for the purpose of reviewing and discussing the affairs, income and expenditure of the Club of the past year (audited and certified by the Auditor or Auditors appointed by the Club) and for electing office-bearers for the ensuing year.
A special general meeting shall be called when the Committee deem it necessary or on a request being presented to the Secretary, stating the matter to be discussed, and signed by at least 20% of the members. The date of such special meeting to be fixed by the Committee but to be not more than one calendar month after the requisition has been received.
An Auditor or Auditors shall be appointed each year at the Annual General Meeting, either from amongst the Members or otherwise.
10. Alteration of Constitution
Any alteration to the Club’s constitution may only be made at an annual general meeting or a special general meeting called for that purpose. Details of proposed alterations must be published on the club notice board and/or website at least fourteen days prior to the date of the meeting at which they are to be discussed. For any alteration to the constitution to take effect it must be supported by two thirds of those members present and voting.
The Club can be dissolved on a vote of 66% of the members voting and present, in which case any remaining funds will be donated in the cause of bridge playing as the Committee reasonably determines.
12. Bye Laws
The Committee may issue such Bye Laws as it deems necessary to enable it to manage the day to day affairs of the Club.
The Club shall be affiliated to the Scottish Bridge Union.
Proposed Amendement May 2021