We will be taking part in the Wake Up Wells Community Day on Sat. 26th Jan. from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. when more than 100 local organisations will be publicising what they do. We are stall number 1 in the cathedral nave. In addition to showing how duplicate is played we will be encouraging people to teach children Mininbridge and exhibiting 'Jack', a program which has won the World Computer Bridge Championship ten times.
Wells City Bridge Club
RULES AND CONSTITUTION
1. Name The name of the Club shall be Wells City Bridge Club of Wells in Somerset.
2. Object The object of the Club shall be to organise the playing of Contract Bridge on a
regular basis in a friendly and sociable atmosphere.
3. Membership Membership shall be by applications. All applications for membership will be
considered by at least two members of the Committee after intending members
have attended not less than three sessions as visitors. A decision on membership
will be ratified by the full Committee.
4. Fees and An Annual subscription is payable during April by all members, the
Subscriptions actual level being set at the Annual General Meeting.
Table Money is payable for each playing session as fixed by the Committee.
Visitors intending to become members will not be surcharged for their first three
Visitors not intending to become members will be surcharged at a rate agreed by
New members will pay an annual subscription at the time of joining except that
those joining after 1st October will pay a reduced fee.
The Committee shall review Fees and Subscriptions regularly and shall have the
power to alter them as necessary. Any alteration shall be ratified by a majority of
the members attending at the next General Meeting.
5. Club Nights Card play on club nights will usually be informal tournaments on either a
partnership or individual basis as designated by the Tournament Director and
depending on the number present at 18:55 hrs. A member arriving after this time
cannot be guaranteed the right to play on that night unless having previously given
notice of intention to be present. Play shall commence at 19:00 hrs.
6. Control The day to day business of the Club shall be conducted by the Committee. Any
significant change of policy will be dealt with at the Annual General Meeting. All
competitions and tournaments will be run by a Tournament Director who will be
designated by the Committee.
7. Officers The officers of the Club shall be:
The Vice Chairman
The Hon. Treasurer
The Hon. Secretary
Officers shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting and will serve for one
year. Officer shall be eligible for re-election to serve two or more terms.
8. Committee The Committee shall consist of the Officers and two or more elected members.
Two Committee members may be designated as Assistant Treasurer and Assistant
Secretary. Members will serve for one year and be eligible for re-election to serve
9. Committee A quorum of the Committee shall consist of not less than 50% of the
Quorum Committee membership. The Chairman shall have a second and casting vote
and Voting when this becomes necessary.
10. Co-option The Committee shall have the power to co-opt a member to fill any vacancy
occurring amongst the Officers or Committee Members until the next Annual
Wells City Bridge Club 18th December 2007
11. AGM The Annual General Meeting shall be held on the fourth Tuesday in April to
transact the following business:
To receive and adopt the Audited Accounts for the year
To receive and adopt the report of the Club’s activities for that year
To elect Officers in accordance with the rules
To elect Committee Members in accordance with the rules
To appoint Auditors
To make decisions on such business as may be appropriate
Notice of the AGM shall be given at least fourteen days before the date of the
Nominations for the positions of Officers or Committee Members must be received
in writing by the Hon Secretary not less than seven days before the AGM.
Notices of Resolutions, including Any Other Business, must be received in writing
by the Hon Secretary not less than seven days before the AGM.
12. Quorum For all Annual General Meetings a quorum shall be not less than 25% of all
members and not less than 50% of all Committee Members.
13. Voting Elections of Officers or Committee Members shall be by secret ballot unless the
nomination is unopposed. Other Resolutions requiring a vote will normally be by a
show of hands, but the Chairman may, at his discretion, direct that a secret ballot
be taken. If required, the Chairman shall have a second and casting vote.
14. SGM A Special General Meeting may be summoned at any time by the Chairman, or any
two members acting together who shall send a written request to the Hon.
Secretary. Members’ requests will be laid before the Chairman who will authorises
the holding of a Special General Meeting withing twenty one days of the receipt of
the request. The business of the Special General Meeting shall be stated in the
notice convening the meeting, and at least seven days notice shall be given.
15. Duties of In order to maintain the friendly and sociable atmosphere which is part of the
Members Club’s objective, members should avoid acrimony which can arise in any
competitive game. This will best be ensured by members observing the Technical
and Ethical Rules laid down by the English Bridge Union, and by calling the
Director in any case of difficulty.
The Committee shall have the power to suspend or require the resignation of any
member deemed to have acted in a manner detrimental to the objectives of the
Club. Any member suspended or required to resign shall have the right to appeal
against the Committee’s decision at the next AGM or at a Special General meeting.
Private table stakes are not permitted.
16. Omissions The Committee shall have the authority to deal with any matter not provided for in
17. Alterations The Club shall have the power to alter these rules. No alteration shall be made
except at a General Meeting of the Club, and then only by a majority of not less
than two thirds of those present. Notice of the proposed alteration shall be given
with the notice convening the meeting.
18. Authority of All members shall be bound by these rules and by and amendment properly
the Rules notified by a General Meeting of the Club.
19. President The founder and first Chairman, Mr. Owen Herbert, is to be President for the
duration of his membership. The President shall be invited to all Committee
Meetings, but not as a voting member.