Spade Heart  Diamond Club
ACBL Unit 528 Lompoc-Vandenberg
 
Bulletin

Change to 2017 Sectional dates!! Great venue & good food. It'll be the same place: DeWees Senior Center on September 22nd, 23rd and 24th 2017.

 
Recent Updates
Unit Board Minutes
Dec 12, 2017 10:36 PST
Home Page
Nov 7, 2017 15:05 PST
News Page
Oct 8, 2017 16:29 PDT
 
0 0 0 0 0 0
Pages viewed in 2017
 
Vu-Bridge Beginner's Corner

Vu-Bridge (ACOL version)
choosen by the EBU!

Read more about the English Bridge Education Department and FREE V-Blue for all EBUTA Teachers: Click here

Saturday January 30th, 2016:
Careful Play by Paul Bowyer

Click here to play

V-Blue - The beginners e-newsletter: 20 hands to play every two weeks - ACOL and Standard American versions available

Vu-Bridge Hand of the Week

New: Vu-Bridge Defender
Try sample hands: Click here

Saturday, January 30th, 2016:
Diamonds, again! By David Bird


Click here to play this hand

V-Green e-Newsletter: improve your Bridge skills - all levels

 
Unit Board Minutes
 
 
  Board Minutes 02/19/2013


LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of February 19, 2013

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting at the Elks Club dining room was called to order at 12:34 PM 

by Sarah Flinkingshelt, President.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Sarah Flinkingshelt, Joyce Gehlhaar, Jo Gowenlock, 

Gale Porr & Skook Porter

Absent: Trudi Bailin

Guest: Tom Snouse

2. Approval of Minutes: MSP Gehlhaar/Gowenlock to approve the minutes of the previous meeting of 

10/23/2012.

3. Financial Report (Gehlhaar):   The balance of all accounts is currently $7492.25.  Joyce 

announced she would submit an annual financial summary for 2012 at the next Unit Board

Meeting.  It was recommended that copies of this summary be available to the membership

during upcoming games. 

4. New Business:

(a) Annual Meeting and Elections:  Sarah announced the Unit will provide a luncheon

for members at the upcoming Unit Game on 02/27/2013.  The luncheon will begin at 12:00

noon, to be followed by the annual meeting and elections of new board members, and then 

the game at 1:00pm.  Of the four board members whose terms are ending, Sarah, Joyce, and 

Skook have accepted nominations for a new term.  Malcolm declined a new term as a 

board member, but will continue as Tournament Coordinator, and attend board meetings as 

needed.  Helen Young has accepted nomination for the board.  Additional nominations may be 

made at the annual meeting.

5. Old Business:

(a) 2013 Sectional Planning and Update:  Signed copies between the Unit and the Lompoc

Senior & Community Center of a completed rental contract and use agreement were 

distributed.  Malcolm anticipates this new venue for the sectional will be successful and more 

comfortable.  Skook volunteered this coming month to inventory and purchase needed

supplies for the sectional.  MSP Gowenlock/Porr to authorize such purchases.  Skook 

wondered whether the Center’s kitchen provides dishware that can be used instead of paper

plates; and Malcolm will enquire.  Last year’s flyer was used to discuss possible recommended

changes in structure of the sectional.  After discussion, it was MSP Porter/Flinkingshelt to

schedule all sessions to begin at 10:00am, including the Sunday Swiss Teams.  Malcolm will

redesign a 2013 flyer to reflect all changes in schedules, dates, location, and other data; to be

reviewed and approved informally by board members before early May for distribution at

the Santa Maria Sectional.

(b) Education Report:   There was discussion about several ideas and suggestions for 

encouraging/educating new duplicate players.  Skook confirmed the plan for

instruction of middle-schoolers through the Boys and Girls Club has been abandoned due 

to lack of support from their board of directors.   However, Skook has received the instructional

materials she ordered for this program.  The status of the weekly instructional game 

at the Lompoc Community and Senior Center needs to be explored.   It was also 

suggested that the informal duplicate group that meets Mondays at Heritage Villas be 

approached about joining our games.   Discussion also included possibly encouraging the

biweekly Santa Ynez Valley Group to organize as a sanctioned ACBL club within

our Unit.  All of these suggestions will be explored informally by board members.

(c) Game Administration:  Joyce announced she has applied for all unit game sanctions

through the end of this coming June.  The second unit game in April is scheduled as

the Hope Howard Local Charity Game.   After discussion, it was MSP Gehlhaar/Gowenlock

to designate the Lompoc Food Pantry as this year’s recipient with a minimum of 

$100.00.

6. Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 1:59 PM.  


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary

  Board Minutes 10/23/2012

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of October 23, 2012

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 12:49 PM by Sarah Flinkingshelt, President.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Sarah Flinkingshelt, Joyce Gehlhaar, Jo Gowenlock, 

Trudi Bailin, & Skook Porter, 

Absent: Gale Porr

2. Approval of Minutes: The minutes of the previous meeting of 09/04/2012 were accepted

unanimously without a vote.

3. Financial Report (Gehlhaar):   The total balance of all accounts is currently $7324.65.  

(a) Sectional Financial Highlights:  We “virtually broke even”, according to Joyce, with a

negative overall balance of -$32.78 for the 212 Sectional.  Please refer to her spreadsheet that 

details all income and expenses.  There was a total of $435.00 in financial donations from the 

membership.  Kitchen expenses increased from $220.00 to $320.00; but this was considered 

“money well spent,” by Board members.  

(b) Computer Tune-up Expenses;  Joyce reported on the status of possible future computer

expenses.  A recent review and ‘tune-up’ of both computers cost $180.00.  The computer we 

keep at the Alpha Club is very old and has extremely little internal memory, and will probably

need to be replaced when ACBL comes out soon with their anticipated software update; but for

now the recommendation is that we continue to ‘plug along’ using it.  The computer at Heritage

Villas has been completely donated to the Unit by Don Kerr, and is in adequate working order

for the time being.

4. New Business:

(a) 2013 Sectional:  The offer from the Lompoc Community and Senior Center was discussed.

Sue Slavens, the Center manager, proposes we conduct the sectional at the Center as a “joint 

project.  Following discussion, is was MSP Porter/Bailin: that a joint use agreement be drafted

by Malcolm to be signed by us and the Senior Center.  This will be reviewed informally by

Board members so it can hopefully be ‘signed off’ prior to our next meeting.  The agreement

will insist that we have exclusive use of meeting room B and the Banquet Kitchen, that the 

scheduled dates are firm, and that a deposit will be agreed to.  It was further emphasized 

that the informal bridge lessons currently being offered at the Center by some of our members,

are a separate matter, and are not to be part of a joint agreement regarding the sectional.  It was

also MSP Gowenlock/Porter: that the Unit place a deposit with the La Purisima Parish Hall for

2013 as ‘back-up insurance’, if an agreement with the Senior Center doesn’t work out.  The dates

for the 2013 Sectional will once again be the third weekend in September:  9/20, 21, & 22.  Mal

will make application for the ACBL sanction.

5. Old Business:

(a) Education Report:  This report was deferred until our next meeting.

6. Adjournment: There being no new business, the meeting was adjourned at 1:39 PM.  


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary

  Board Minutes 9/4/2012

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of September 4, 2012

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 12:33 PM by Sarah Flinkingshelt, President.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Sarah Flinkingshelt, Joyce Gehlhaar, Jo Gowenlock, 

& Skook Porter, 

Absent: Gale Porr, Trudi Bailin

2. Approval of Minutes: MSP Gehlhaar/Gowenlock to approve the minutes of the previous meeting of 

07/17/2012.

3. Financial Report (Gehlhaar):   The total balance of all accounts is currently $7075.41.  To date 

$245.00 has been received as donations from the membership to defray Sectional expenses.  

Bridge supplies for the Sectional are on order from Baron Barclay, and have been prepaid.  All

Sectional income and expenses will be reflected in a financial recap after the Sectional, to be 

presented at our next board meeting.

4. New Business:

(a) Junior Masters:  Joyce shared the latest ACBL Unit Report which lists six of our new

members who have now achieved Junior Master level:  Don Beck, Lynley Bernau, John and

Judy Greer, and Karen and Ken Hollinga

(b) Computers:  Joyce reported that both of our computers are currently ‘out’ for a check-up, 

and possible tune-up.  We may need to replace the computer used at the Alpha Club site.  Joyce

will share outcomes at our next meeting.

5. Old Business:

(a) Introduction to Duplicate Program:  Skook Porter reported that nobody turned up for this 

program last month.  See the program description in the previous minutes.  

(b) Duplicate Bridge Education Program for Youth:  At this time we continue to wait on a 

response from the Boys Girls Club staff, who say they are still consulting with their Board.  We 

hope there is no apparent loss of interest in this program on their part.

(c) Sectional Planning and Preparation:  Many last minute aspects were discussed in advance of

the Sectional beginning in 10 days.  Joyce reported that all flyers and announcements have been 

sent to area clubs.  The caddy will be Sarah Cunningham.  Set-up and tear-down crews have been 

selected.  The souvenir appliqués have been received, and are ‘poppys’ rather than ‘peonies’.  

The latter were found to be out of stock, and more expensive.  The Recreation Hall manager has 

been reminded of our need for refrigerator space.  Donations of bottles of wine for door prizes 

are being sought from club members, including two offered by board members Jo and Skook.  

We anticipate having a total of 12-14 bottles.  Kitchen service, refreshments, and Sunday lunches 

were discussed.  MSP Gehlhaar/Gowenlock to supersede the motion at our previous meeting of a 

$200 kitchen expense ceiling for the weekend, and authorize “expenses as needed.”  Skook will 

select paid help for the kitchen, and determine work hours and rates.  Mal will consult with the 

manager to seek permission for unloading and storing of some kitchen and sectional supplies on 

Thursday evening in advance of game day.

6. Adjournment: There being no new business, the meeting was adjourned at 1:45 PM.  A followup 

meeting will be scheduled later this month or next month to evaluate the Sectional and prepare for

next year.


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary

  Board Minutes 7/17/12

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of July 17, 2012

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 12:33 PM by Sarah Flinkingshelt, President.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Trudi Bailin, Sarah Flinkingshelt, Joyce Gehlhaar, Jo Gowenlock, & Skook Porter, 

Absent: Gale Porr

2. Approval of Minutes: The minutes of the previous meeting of 05/22/2012

were approved unanimously.

3. Financial Report (Gehlhaar):   The total balance of all accounts is currently $7124.14.  The Sectional

ads in the Forum have been purchased for $200.004.   Joyce also handed out a revised Unit 

Organizational Chart.

4. New Business:

(a) Introduction to Duplicate Program:  Skook Porter reported on preparation for an introduction

to Duplicate program to be presented at 5:00PM, Thursday, August 16th, just before the evening

LCBC game at Heritage Villas, to orient interested party bridge players to the mechanics of

duplicate play:  use of  bidding boxes, completing score cards, play of the hands, and some basic

relevant procedures.  The program will be one hour long, to be followed by an informal meal.  

Participants will be encouraged to remain and play in the evening game.  Bridge players who 

reside at Heritage Villas will be invited, as will others.  Skook will be the presenter.  Mal will 

provide her with a key to the Heritage supply cabinet, for access to supplies.

4. Old Business:

(a) Report of Education Chairperson:  Skook then reported on her activities to develop a 

Duplicate Bridge Education Program for youth.  The staff at the Lompoc Boys and Girls Club 

have expressed an interest in hosting, and have recommended the program be tailored for middle 

school-age participants, a target audience that has proved successful elsewhere.  Skook is

collaborating with Gale Porr and Tom Snouse in this effort.  Gale and Tom have volunteered to 

teach the program beginning this October, and Skook has acquired course materials.  If the initial 

course is successful, Skook plans to submit a grant proposal to the Santa Barbara Foundation for 

funds to reimburse costs, including paying the instructor, for future courses.  Currently, Skook

is waiting only for a green light from the Boys and Girls Club board.

(b) Sectional Planning Review:  Mal Anderson then conducted a review of planning for this 

year’s Sectional for September 14-16.  The following decisions and assignments were agreed

upon:

(1) Game Supplies and Preparation:  Jo will organize a small group to update and

restock, as needed, both sets of bidding boxes.  Skook and Sarah will do the same for

our sets of boards.  Skook will prepare pencils.  Mal will transport the extra card tables

from Heritage Villas, as well as other supplies as needed.  Mal will explore with Ada

whether her grandson is once again available to be our caddy on Sunday, for a caddy 

fee of $80.  If he is not available, Mal will ask the membership for alternate caddy

recommendations.  For an extra $20, the caddy will be expected to assist with the

Sunday tear-down.

(2) Food and Refreshments:  Once again, Skook will assume responsibility for 

overall planning.  She has already prepared sign-up sheets which will be available at 

all future games before the Sectional weekend.  We will not provide soft drinks or

 

Board Minutes, 7/17/12 Page 2


bottled water in coolers, as in the past, but will limit beverages to ice tea, lemonade, and 

coffee (regular and decaf).   Skook will coordinate refreshment selections for Friday 

and Saturday, determine the Sunday lunch menu, and caterer as needed.  After discussion 

it was agreed once again to pay a kitchen helper, with selection, hours and schedule to be 

determined by Skook, but with a cost ceiling of $200 for the weekend.  Other kitchen and

food service volunteers will be encouraged as needed.  Trudi may have candidates to 

recommend for the paid kitchen helper.

(3) Publicity:  Mal reported that the Forum ads have been sent for publication and paid 

for.  Mal will also prepare and submit an email for distribution in mid-August by ACBL.

In early August, Joyce will mail packets of Sectional Flyers to nearby bridge clubs and 

units in the tri-counties, and lower San Joaquin valley.  It was agreed to include an 

addendum in this mailing, describing some of the other local events, lodging, and food 

opportunities, that could encourage additional player attendance.  Sarah will compile this 

narrative, and Mal will prepare the document to be given to Joyce.

            (4) Miscellaneous:  Skook’s signup sheets will also include ones for financial and 

in-kind contributions from members.  It was agreed that door prizes would once again be 

limited to bottles of wine donated by members, or purchased as needed.  Mal will seek 

personnel to assist with set-up and tear-down tasks, and already has a couple of 

volunteers.  Skook’s son, Charlie will also be available to assist as well as delivering

foodstuffs.  After discussion and review of catalogue choices it was MSP: 

Gehlhaar/Anderson to order 250 gift souvenir appliqués of the ‘Peony’ flower for 

distribution to participants, at a cost of approximately $125.  There should be enough

appliqués left over to distribute at a future Sectional.  Sarah will confirm that herM 

husband, Larry, will be available to transport the supply trailer.

(c) Merging of the Unit and LCBC Boards:  Sarah reminded the board that this agenda item

is still pending.  Since there was not enough time left at this meeting to address this complex 

issue, it was agreed to table discussion to a future meeting.

5. Adjournment: There being no new business, the meeting was adjourned at 2:05 PM.  A followup 

meeting will be scheduled to confirm Sectional Planning, in late August or early September.


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary



  Board Minutes 5/22/12

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of May 22, 2012

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 12:51 PM by Sarah Flinkingshelt, President.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Sarah Flinkingshelt, Joyce Gehlhaar, Jo Gowenlock, & Skook Porter, 

Absent: Gale Porr, Trudi Bailin

2. Financial Report (Gehlhaar):   The total balance of all accounts is currently $7325.99.  Joyce 

submitted a Banking Summary for the period:  3/1/2011 - 2/29/2012, which corresponds to

our fiscal year, which is attached to these minutes.  Tax reports have been filed.  MSP Porter/

Gowenlock:  to approve and accept the Banking Summary.  Notwithstanding, the recent change 

of officers, it was agreed to leave the signature authority for the unit checking account as it is,

being Malcolm and Joyce, and for the time being to defer adding Sarah, as the new President. 

Regarding the unit web-site, it was MSP Gehlhaar/Anderson to continue our annual subscription

to the web-site host. BridgeWebs.com.   Also it was MSP Gowenlock/Porter to purchase 1/4

page ads for the Sectional in the District 22 Forum in the August and September issues (which 

are received in July and August, respectively).

3. Approval of Minutes:  MSP Gehlhaar/Gowenlock: the minutes of the previous meeting of 03/19/2012

were approved.

4. Old Business:

            (a) Sectional Planning:  The revised flyer as approved informally since our last meeting was 

handed out.  Mal said he recently checked with the La Purisima recreation hall manager, and

learned they have recently upgraded their electrical and sound system, which should prevent

repetition of past outlet overloads.  Mal agreed to remind the manager that we need the main re-

frigerator available for our use, and not stuffed with homeless foodstuff supplies as was the case

last year.  Mal will also also explore permission to do a partial set-up of the hall on Thursday

evening before this year’s sectional.  Mal said he would be prepared at our next board meeting

in early July, after his and Joyce’s June vacations, to present a detailed review of all aspects of 

planning for the coming Sectional in September.  Additional discussion at today’s meeting 

included:  agreement on the need for kitchen help;  insuring that bathrooms were adequately 

maintained and stocked; publicity ideas; providing lodging information and other information 

about community events; having a crew to clean tables and replace trash bags.  Joyce reminded

us that liability insurance is provided through ACBL without cost to us.  Sarah will speak to 

Larry about transporting the supply trailer.

 5. Adjournment: There being no new business, the meeting was adjourned at 2:15 PM.  


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary



  Board Minutes 3/19/12

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of March 19, 2012

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 11:10 AM by Malcolm Anderson, Secretary, in 

the absence of the previous President and Vice-President.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Joyce Gehlhaar,  Skook Porter, Sarah Flinkingshelt, Trudi

Bailin

Absent: Gale Porr, Jo Gowenlock

2.  Selection of Officers/Committee Chairs:  Following the results of the Unit election on February

22, 2012, the members present appointed the following officers for the coming year:  President -

Sarah Flinkingshelt; Vice-President - Waltraud Bailin; Secretary - Malcolm Anderson; and 

Treasurer - Joyce Gehlhaar.  As newly appointed President, Sarah then conducted the

remainder of today’s meeting.  Committee Chairpersons were also selected, and are listed on the

attached Unit Organizational Chart.

3. Financial Report (Gehlhaar):   The total balance of all accounts is currently $7485.85.  Skook 

commented that the original funds previously deposited in the Vanguard Money Market account, 

now vacated, had originally been donated by a now deceased club member, Jack Shepherd, in his 

will for the purpose of seeding a building fund.

4. Approval of Minutes:  The minutes of the previous meeting of 01/16/2012 were approved.

5. Old Business:

      (a) MSP Porter/Gehlhaar that our current agreement for custodial service for games at Heritage

Villas be continued for the coming year.

      (b) Sectional Planning:  Skook reported further her exploration of potential future use of the 

Veterans’ Building as a future venue for the Sectional.  They have agreed to a rental of $200/day 

for use of the side room, but this does not include chairs, which we would have to rent from 

another vendor.  This amount is equal to what we currently pay for use of the La Purisima Parish

Hall, which includes chairs.  Other discussion included speculation of possibly scheduling the

Sectional for two days instead of three.  The notion of considering the Chumash Casino as a

venue was also mentioned, although that might be more appropriate for a Regional tournament, 

which would need to be considered by the District 22 board.  In conclusion, it was MSP 

Anderson/Porter to continue with the La Purisima venue as planned for this year.  

It was further recommended to change the design for this year’s Sectional Flyer by 

including prominent display of the year, 2012, at the top, and to consider utilizing more black 

text printed on colored paper.  Malcolm will submit an updated and redesigned flyer for review, 

and eventual preparation in time for display at the Santa Maria Sectional in early May.

Upon further discussion it was MSP Gehlhaar/Flinkingshelt to increase the Swiss Team

entry fee to $100/team to provide extra funds for the provided lunch on Sunday.  Also Malcolm

reported the ACBL sanction for the 2012 sectional has been received.

It was agreed the next Sectional planning meeting would be scheduled in July, 

considering the vacation plans of several board members during June and August.

6. Adjournment: There being no new business, the meeting adjourned at 12:13 PM.  


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary



  Board Minutes 1/16/12

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of January 16, 2012

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 11:55 AM by Malcolm Anderson, Secretary.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Joyce Gehlhaar,  Skook Porter, Sarah Flinkingshelt

Absent: Bob Jurgensen, Gale Porr, Don Kerr

2. Financial Report (Gehlhaar): Joyce reported that the previous Vanguard Money Market Account is 

now fully vacated.  The total balance of all accounts is currently $7058.72.

3. Approval of Minutes:  The minutes of the previous meetings of 11/01/2011 and 08/30/2011 were 

approved with correction of one minor typo (a date error).

4. Organizational Changes:  

      (a)  Malcolm announced that Don Kerr, President, and Bob Jurgensen, Vice President, have both 

resigned from the Unit Board, and that Malcolm will serve as acting President until the 

forthcoming board elections and reorganization next month.  Don has moved from the area and

has transferred enrollment to another unit.  Bob is unable to attend future board meetings.

      (b) The nominating committee (Malcolm and Skook) reported that three board positions are up for

election next month.  Gale Porr has agreed to be nominated for a new term.  Other potential

nominees were discussed, and will be announced as they become known before next month’s

election meeting.  Skook commented she would like us to pursue a potential future merger with 

the Lompoc Community Bridge Club board, by encouraging membership overlap.

5. Old Business:

      (a)  As discussed at the last meeting, the two monthly Unit Games have now been rescheduled

as afternoon games.

      (b) Skook has continued to explore possible utilization of the Veteran’s Building as a future venue

for our Lompoc Sectional, and will have more to report at a future board meeting.

6. Adjournment: There being no new business, the meeting adjourned at 12:30 PM.  The next board

meeting will be scheduled following Unit elections.


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary








  Board Minutes 11/01/11

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of November 1, 2011

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 12:30 PM by Don Kerr,

 President.

Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Joyce Gehlhaar,  Don Kerr, Skook

 Porter

Absent: Bob Jurgensen, Sarah Flinkingshelt, Gale Porr

2. Financial Report (Gehlhaar): Except for .79 cents still on the MMKT

 balance sheet, all proceeds from the Vanquard Account have now been

 temporarily deposited in the Unit’s checking account, for an overall

 balance of $7,224.46.  Joyce will seek advice regarding an 

appropriate higher earning account to invest in. 

3. Approval of Minutes:  The minutes of the previous meeting of 08/30/2011

 were not available for review.  They will be submitted for approval at our

 next scheduled meeting.

4. Organizatioal Changes:  

      (a)  Don announced that Gale Porr has accepted appointment to the Unit

    Board to complete Nelson Owens’ term resulting from his recent

    resignation.  

5.  Sectional Review: ( Anderson, Tournament Chairperson; Gehlhaar,

 Treasurer )

      (a)  Joyce submitted a financial report for the Sectional, which is attached

    to these minutes.  Our profit was $593.74.  For all practical purposes,

    however, we just broke even, considering receipt of a $500.00 donation

    from one of our members, Bob Male.   MSP (Porter, Anderson,

    unanimous) to send a special thank-you note to Bob -- Skook to draft

    the letter for the signatures of all Board Members.

      (b)  Considering that the extra charge for lunch on Sunday was only

    $2.00/person, it was suggested that this amount be increased for our

    next tournament.   Item tabled for later discussion when planning for

    next year’s sectional.

      (c)  Skook announced that she and Sarah have inventoried our stored

    sectional supplies, and recommended that updates be purchased now as

    needed.  Recommendation MSP ( Porter, Gehlhaar, unanimous ).

      (d)  Mal will submit a request for the sanction and director (Scott

    Campbell) for next year’s Sectional, which will be held September 14 -

    16, 2012.

      (e)  Joyce announced that a $400.00 deposit has been made to reserve the

    La Purisima Parish Hall for next year.

      (f)  Skook suggested we consider the Veterans’ Building as a different

    venue for next year’s Sectional.  This item tabled for future discussion.

    Meanwhile Skook will explore fees and accommodations and report

      back.

7. New Business:

      (a)  Following a suggestion from a club member, there was discussion

    about scheduling both monthly Unit Games in the afternoon, instead of

    the current 2nd Wednesday evening, and 4th Wednesday afternoon, to

    encourage improved attendance.  MSP (Anderson, Porter, unanimous) 

    to proceed with this, contingent upon whether the Heritage Villas

    schedule permits.

     (b)  Annual Unit elections will be held the 4th Wednesday of February

   2012.  As Secretary, Mal will appoint a Nominating Committee to

   submit a slate to fill the expiring terms.

6. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 1:11 PM.  A follow-up Unit Board

 Meeting will be scheduled for early January, 2012.


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary


  Board Minutes 08/30/11

LOMPOC –VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of August 30, 2011

Minutes of Meeting


1. Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 12:30 PM by Don Kerr, President.


Attendance: Malcolm Anderson, Joyce Gehlhaar,  Don Kerr, Skook Porter, Sarah Flinkingshelt

Absent: Bob Jurgensen


2. Financial Report (Gehlhaar): Current balance for checking as of this meeting is $2,723.08, and  the 

CD amount as of this month is $3996.45. (Vanguard Account)  Only 61 cents was earned as 

interest on this account the past quarter.  MSP Gehlhaar/Porter that the Treasurer, Joyce 

Gehlhaar, be authorized to research and move this asset to a better performing Money Market 

account.

3. Approval of Minutes:  MSP Gehlhaar/Porter to approve the Minutes of the March 14, 2011 meeting. 

In the context of those minutes, it was understood that the responsibility to ‘monitor’ the 

Emergency Contact List also included assuring its availability to officers and game directors in 

the event of a medical or other emergency.,

4. Organizatioal Changes:  

      (a)  Don announced Nelson Owens’ resignation from the Unit Board.  Don was authorized by the 

Board to interview and appoint an ACBL and Unit member to fulfill Owens term that expires in

February 2012. 

      (b) Following discussion, it was decided to rescind the policy of Board members sharing 

responsibility for Hospitality (i.e. refreshments) at Unit Games, and to appoint Sarah 

Flinkingshelt as chairperson for such hospitality.  Mal Anderson will update the Unit 

organization chart. 

5.  Sectional Review and Planning: (Mal Anderson, Tournament Chairperson)

      (a)  Publicity:  Mal informed the Board that a quarter page ad has been purchased to appear in

        the forthcoming August and September issues of the District 22 Forum.  The 2011 Sectional

Flyer has been inserted in the Unit web site, with a further announcement on the web home page.

        Joyce agreed to mail out flyers next week to nearby ACBL units and clubs.  Mal will send flyers 

to Scott Campbell, our ACBL tournament director, to distribute at other California tournaments 

preceding our sectional.  Mal will compose an ACBL tournament email announcement to be 

disseminated in mid-August.

     (b)  Caddies and Other Staff:  MSP Flinkingshelt/Porter to hire only one caddy for the Sunday Team 

game, not two, and to pay the caddie directly from the Unit, and not by the Tournament Director, 

in the amount of $100, to also include assistance in Friday morning set-up and Sunday evening 

take-down chores as may be needed.  Joyce Howerton’s grandson will be approached to take this 

assignment.  From his fee he can reimburse other helpers of his choosing, if necessary.

MSP Gehlhaar/Porter to offer the assignment of kitchen helper to Carmelita of Heritage Oaks at

the rate of $10/hour, duties and hours to be determined by Skook and Sarah.  It was 

recommended this person be available at 8:30 AM before the September 16th opening session, 

and as needed on Sunday, but not necessarily beyond mid-afternoon Friday and Saturday.

      (c)  Food and Refreshments:  Skook and Sarah agreed to co-chair this function.  Skook will prepare 

sign-up sheets to be available next Monday, for members to volunteer to provide refreshment 

items specified in advance, for each of the separate game sessions.  Coolers and other 

refreshment items, including coffee and drinks will be coordinated.

      (d)  Trailer Issues:  Sarah will arrange for a vehicle to tow the Unit trailer before and after the event.

She and Don will work together on technical/mechanical concerns, i.e. the trailer hitch and ball.

Mal will inspect the air in the trailer tires a day or so ahead of time, and correct as necessary.

      (e)  Miscellaneous:  Joyce will review game supplies and replenish as necessary.  Mal and Joyce

will update bidding boxes.  Mal will email Scott Campbell regarding game supplies he will be

providing.  Joyce will inquire about advance access to the Parish Hall on Thursday evening, the 

15th.  Mal will prepare additional sign-up sheets for set-up/break-down volunteers. and for 

members wishing to offer financial donations in lieu of other in kind participation.  Several

members and community resources will be approached about donating bottles of wine for door

prizes.  Mal will transport the Heritage card tables after the September 14th Unit game.

6. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 1:58 PM.  A follow-up Unit Board Meeting was scheduled 

for Tuesday, August 30, 12:30 PM at the Elks Club.  Skook announced she will be back by then

from an August vacation beginning August 13.  Don announced he will miss attending the Sectional, and be on vacation from September 5 - 22.


Respectfully submitted,  Malcolm Anderson, Secretary


  Board Minutes 1/15/16

LOMPOC-VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of January 15, 2016

Minutes of Meeting

 

  1.  Call to Order:  The meeting of the Lompoc-Vandenberg Unit 528 Board Meeting was called to order by President, Mike Peterson at 12:05 P.M.

Attendance:Joyce Gehlhaar, Helen Young, Mike Peterson, Lynley Bernau, Skook Porter and Don Beck.    Absent:  Gale Porr.

 

  1.  Approval of Minutes:  MSP Bernau/Young to approve the minutes of October 16, 2015.

 

  1. Financial Report:  The current balance as reported by Treasurer, Joyce Gehlhaar, is $8,204.13.  Expenses each month are to the ACBL for unit games at approximately $10-$15 a game or $20-$25 per month.  Rental for the Half Century Club is $50.00 per month.  Joyce reported that she is expecting a rebate from ACBL/membership at approximately $3 to $4 person or about $200.00.

 

  1. Old Business:

 

  1. Manager for Tuesday Bridge in Buellton (Scavone and Swanson)

Don reported that Mike would possibly be in charge of the Tuesday Bridge in Buellton, with the help of Frank Swanson.Helen reported that Beth was considering running the 1st and 3rd Tuesday’s, with her help.Joyce reported that the ACBL report has to be done monthly and also a form that has to go to ACBL saying there is a change in manager.Don offered to do the monthly report.The board will wait to hear from Beth and Mike to see who will run the games.

 

  1.  Lompoc Sectional
  1.  Review of Flyer- Don reported that he reviewed the flyer and made date and time changes.  He now has the venue, time and dates in place.  Scott has always collected all the money at the sectional and at the end he gave it to Joyce.  ACBL has said that now the sponsoring organization has to provide change that the director needs and at the end of each day the sponsoring organization has to be responsible for it.  Joyce will do this and will contact Scott as to how much change he thinks we need.
  2. Lunch Cost – $420.00 was collected for the lunch for Sunday but the cost out, not including the extra kitchen help, was $520.00.  MSP Gehlhaar/Beck to raise the cost of the Swiss Teams to $120.00 to cover the cost of lunch. 

 

  1.  Union of Wednesday and Thursday Clubs- There was discussion that we must notify the state if we are going to combine the clubs.  Joyce reported that we use about 20/24 games for Unit Championship Games but these games can be played anywhere.   There was also discussion that there was a limit of funds any club could have if they were a charitable organization; but, at this time the amount is unknown.  It was suggested that if the clubs combine, then we drop the Wed. board and make Thursday board as the Unit 528 Board.   MSP Beck/Young to have Skook talk to John Greer to find out how much money a club can legally have and to set up an organizational plan that can be presented to both boards, as well as to find out if the Unit Board can be charitable.   There was also discussion that John may end up charging us for the work, depending on how much was involved.

 

  1. Food for Wednesday Bridge – MSP Bernau/Young to have everyone who plays on Wednesday bring food.  The list would be alphabetical.  Joyce reported that the board pays $5.00 per table and up to $25.00 even if there are only 2-3 tables.  If there are more than 5 tables, the amount goes up $5.00 per table. 

 

  1. Dealing Machines – Mike suggested asking the members for pledges through July to see if we can raise at least $1,000.00 and then go back to both boards to see if they would donate the remainder of the money. 

 

  1.  New Business:

Officer Elections next month:  Helen will announce at the Monday game and Wednesday game at the end of the month that Mike, Lynley and Don’s terms are up and that if anyone would like to serve on the board to please submit their name to her.  Elections will be held the first Wed. game in Feb.  Helen volunteered to do a special luncheon that day. 

  1.  Comments from the Board:  Mike reported that the “Be Nice” cards are working well.  Joyce announced that the San Luis Obispo bridge club has arranged for Larry Cohen to present bridge lessons on May 15 and 16.  Cost is $235.00 per person, if you register by 3/15, and includes a continental breakfast and lunch.  It will be held at the San Luis Country Club.  Registration forms are on the San Luis website @ SLObridge.com. 

 

  1. Adjournment:  There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 1:30 PM

 

Respectfully submitted:

 

Helen Young, Secretary

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Board Minutes 03/04/16

LOMPOC-VANDENBERG UNIT 528

Board Meeting of March 4, 2016

Minutes of Meeting

  1.         Call to Order:  The meeting of the Lompoc-Vandenberg Unit 528 Board Meeting was called to order by President, Mike Peterson at 12:30 PM.

Attendance:Joyce Gehlhaar, Helen Young, Mike Peterson, Frank Swanson, Skook Porter and Don Beck.  Absent:  Lynley Bernau

 

  1.         Approval of Minutes:  MSP Porter/Beck to approve the minutes of January 15, 2016.  MSP Gehlhaar/Beck to approve the minutes of the General Yearly Election Meeting of February 10, 2016.

 

  1.        Financial Report:  The current balance as reported by Treasurer, Joyce Gehlhaar, is $8,406.82.  Joyce reported that ACBL is increasing costs for sectionals, director and table counts.  Joyce has not calculated the amount yet, but stated it would probably be around $100.00.

 

  1.        Old Business: 

 

  1.        Dealing Machines:  It was reported that approximately $600.00 has come in so far from member pledges.  There are 4 people who said to approach them when the totals are in and we know how much we are getting from both/either of the boards.    MSP Porter/Peterson to have the Lompoc-Vandenberg Unit 528 board contribute $3,000.00 towards the machines and to ask the Lompoc Community Bridge Club to contribute what they can.  Don and Frank offered to get a firm price for the machines, boards, carrying cases and cards and to report to the board their findings.  At this time, they thought it would be around $5,000.00.   
  2.       Combining Clubs:  Skook reminded the board that the October Board Meeting was cut short so we did not have time to talk about combining the boards.  October was the date originally established to either move ahead or not with this.  There was a discussion that The Lompoc Community Bridge Club (LCBC) night’s board is currently a C3 but ACBL says you have to be a C4. There were questions as to what the difference was between the two.  LCBC already exists as a C3.  It was reported that LCBC does not currently follow any of the 501 C3 guidelines because they do not give their money to charity every year and are following 40 year guidelines.  Skook reported that through her research she found that if we are meeting our mission statement we are okay with the IRS.  Joyce reported that the LCBC bylaws say that if that club disbands, the money must be disbursed to charity.  Skook reported that they would not be disbanding but that it would be a simple name change.  MSP Beck/Young to have a joint board meeting about what to do regarding the combining of the clubs.  Helen offered to be in charge of the date, time and place.  Frank offered to try and secure the “Launch Pad” for our meeting.

 

  1.        New Business:

 

  1.        Half Century Club:  The Half Century Club is possibly going out of business.  Skook talked to the Alpha Club and using that facility may be an option.  Skook said that the Alpha Club has always been interested in education and suggested letting them know we would like to also use the club for lessons. 
  2.       Charity Month:  April is Charity Month.  The first game goes to the ACBL.  MSP Gehlhaar/Beck to donate the second game donations to the Half Centuty Club.
  3.       Program Developments:  There was discussion about developing a program which financially rewards/reimburses/pays unit bridge teachers.  Reaching new players is important to the viability of our bridge organization so supporting any teaching program is important.  Joyce suggested we pay teachers for teaching bridge lessons.  The best way to grow bridge in Lompoc is to have lessons.  ACBL accredits teachers.  Also, there was discussion about reimbursing any expense incurred to become a director.  At this time, Joyce is the only accredited teacher.  Frank said he would be interested in teaching.  MSP Gehlhaar/Young to have the board reimburse teachers or directors for any cost of ACBL programs after completion. 
  4.       Officer Elections and Board Positions:  Mike read an email from Gale Porr resigning.  Gehlhaar/Beck to accept the resignation.  According to the bylaws, the board has the right to appoint another board member.  Gehlhaar/Porter to appoint Frank Swanson to the board.  His term ends next February as he is taking over Gale’s position and that is when her term is over.

 

MSP Gehlhaar/Young to accept the following Officers and Board Positions:

 

Board Positions:

  •  

Vice President:Don Beck

  •  
  •  

 

  •  

Disciplinary ChairJo Gowenlock

Education LiasonSkook Porter

Electronic ContactJoyce Gehlhaar

Forum Column ReporterLynley Bernau

Hospitality ChairHelen Young

IN CoordiniatorSkook Porter

Tournament Chairman 16Donald Beck

NAP, GNT, STAC, SanctionsJoyce Gehlhaar

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

 

  1.         Comments from the board:  There were no additional comments from the board.

 

  1.          Adjournment:  There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 1:30 P.M.

 

Respectfully Submitted:

 

Helen Young, Secretary