Revised Director’s Policy January 24, 2011
1. A Director will maintain a courteous and hospitable manner at all times.
The board also recognizes the skill a Director should bring to the Thunder
Bay Duplicate Bridge Club (as taken from ACBL website "Become a
-Technical skills needed to run bridge games of all types
-Knowledge and understanding of the Laws of Duplicate Bridge and ACBL
-Knowledge of ACBL score and ability to work with required software
-Public relations skills to balance the roles of referee, judge, teacher,
psychologist and entertainment director
2. A Director will receive an honorarium of $50 per session whether there are
one or two sections. A director will receive an additional fee of $20 per
section for preparing pre-dealt hands.
3. If there are two sections, a Director shall not play.
4. A Director shall pay the table fee if she/he has pre-booked a game.
A Director shall not pay the table fee if she/he is playing to accommodate a
person without a partner. The board recommends that the director may
consider; after consulting with his/her partner, that he/she would give up
his/her seat to accommodate a player without a partner.
5. A Director will complete the Club Director’s Financial Report for each game
on the form provided by the club.
6. A Director shall address all table calls with the Law Book, in her/his hand
and, if requested, will read the rule from the Law Book–after which a
Director’s ruling shall be accepted without question. A director can assess
disciplinary penalties in accordance with ACBL’s Zero Tolerance. Policy.
There will be no appeals committee for regularly scheduled club games.
7. It is recommended that a Director use the following guidelines to ensure
reasonable rate of play: 7 ½ minutes per board ie: 15 minutes for two board
rounds, 21 minutes for three board rounds: 28-30 minutes for four board
rounds. All players therefore receive equal treatment in regards to time.
8. It is the Director’s responsibility to forward the results to the web master
and the Club Manager to ensure the timely posting of the results on the
9. A Director and/or Convener of a special event can designate a person when
moving playing tables from one playing site to another is necessary. The fee
for this undertaking is $50.
10. The making of coffee on Tuesday evening will be the responsibility of an assigned Thunder Bay Duplicate Bridge Club member. The member has the option of a free game that evening. Coffee supplies will remain the responsibility of the Directors and Club Manager.
11. Directors shall arrive at all playing sites 30-45 minutes prior to game time.
Opening the doors will be at least 30 minutes prior to game time.
12. Any decision on buying new equipment for the club, which will have an impact on the Directors, will be made available to the Directors for their comments
before the purchase.
13. Eight dollars will be paid for hand records for local games.
14. The board will encourage continuing education for the Directors as they
15. This policy shall only be changed through consultation between the Board
of Directors of the Thunder Bay Duplicate Bridge Club and the Game