Please check information displayed. To request any additions / amendment / removal of information, please contact Stephen Brown
County Pairs – Semi 27th January 2019
County Pairs – Final 17th March 2019
Mixed Pairs – 7th April 2019
Swiss Pairs – 2nd December 2018
Wallingford BC (Roke)
Harwell Cup – 17th February 2019
Mens Pairs & Ladies Pairs – 28th March 2019 – Thursday Evening 7:30pm
County Pairs Championship - 27th January 2019 (GREEN POINTED)
The next OBA Competition is the County Pairs, a GREEN POINTED competition. The first round of this competition is being held at the Oxford Bridge Club (& if sufficient entries, also at the Wallingford Bridge Club) on Sunday 27th January 2019. A minimum of 10 and maximum of 20 pairs will qualify for the final on Sunday 31st March 2019, depending on entries. Please arrive by 1.45 for a prompt start at 2.00pm.There will be around 36 boards. Session 1: 2.00pm - 4.15pm, 18 boards, Session 2: 4.45pm - 7.00pm, 18 boards. Chief TD/Scorer: John Rowe.
The Wessex League tables for 2018/2019:
Division 1 Division 2 Division 3 Division 4
We, in Oxfordshire, are running an increasing number of exciting junior events over the coming year. There are the regular Sunday afternoon sessions at OJBC during term time, as well as the lunchtime school clubs, and the 'one off's' are listed here.
1. January 2nd 2019. A full day of learning and competition in Henleys only Grade 1 listed building. Most importantly, it has square tables, 100 chairs and a pizza cafe 100 yds away £10 inc. pizza from 10-4.30p.m.
2. February 3rd. The annual OJBC competition in Oxford £5 from 2.00-5.00.p.m.
3. February 10th. A further day in Henley at Cornerstones from either 1.30-4.30 or 10.30-4.30, bringing your own packed lunch. The timing is TBC
4. March 3rd. The annual OBA competition at Roke, which again we hope to run as teaching in the morning followed by the EBED minibridge Sims/Bridge competition in the afternoon. In 2018, this doubled up as an Oxford Times Cup heat.
5. April 6th/7th The Wessex weekend at Cheltenham. The amazing cooperation from both Cheltenham BC and the Ladies College, enables us to offer this at very affordable rates, and is an amazing experience for the youngsters. £65 residential from 9.00.a.m. on Saturday, until 5.00.p.m. on Sunday. It is also a training weekend for both the England U21and U16 squads, so there are some very good and adventurous young players. The late night speedball is always fun.
For OJBC events contact Holly Kilpatrick, and for the others contact Joan Bennett 01491 579795 (or 07548 782 538 if you are lucky!) firstname.lastname@example.org
Bring your children/grandchildren. Both you and they will enjoy it, and you will find it VERY DIFFERENT from a normal club session. Alternatively, abandon them and enjoy the free time in Henley.
Sunday 3rd February, Oxford Bridge Club, 147 Banbuary Road. Oxford. OX2 7AN
2pm - 5pm. All welcome: 8-18 years.
Mini-bridge, novice bidders, experienced bidders
Prizes, tea and fun. Entry fee: £5
This event is played on the second Monday of each month at Roke and Berrick Salome Village Hall (for directions please see Wallingford Bridge Club website). It is open to all members of the OBA who are at least 55 years of age by 1st May 2018. Younger players and visitors may play but are not eligible to win the trophy.
Results / calendar (at bottom of page). Click on individual congratulation pages for full results
On 9th December OJBC held its Xmas competition, where the children played for almost 2 hours, mostly some old sims boards which they love. There were 4 tables (3 bridge and 1 minibridge) of keen youngsters who are pictured here. It was organised, as usual, by Holly Kilpatrick. This was followed by excellent food, apparently devoured by locusts, and prizegiving.
On 4th December, Nettlebed School held its Xmas competition over 2 hours. 4 tables of children were rewarded by excellent cake made by Gillian Lonsdale, a lady of many talents.
Congratulations to the winners of the Swiss Pairs: Sarah Gregory & David Basham with 89VPs. The runners up were Robert Procter & John Deech with 84VPs
For the third year running, Oxfordshire has qualified for the Final of the National (Tollemache) Championships. In a nail-biting finish to the tightest possible Group B, Oxon finished a close second to Cambs & Hunts on 80 VPs with Leics missing out on 77 VPs in 3rd place. The county was represented by the following four pairs: Alan Wilson (capt) & Chris Cooper; Kathy & Denis Talbot, Robert Procter & Michael Robinson; Ian Angus & Aleks Lishkov.
This event took place in wonderful autumn weather, with 60 pairs taking part, and bridge played at five venues. The base for start and finish was Cosener's House (pictured), which provided a lovely lunch to those who 'landed there', although report suggested that everyone enjoyed their lunches. The overall winners were Howard Arnes and Bridget Watson. Additional NS winners were Joe Eskinaz & Alexis Cochrane, with EW won by Peter & Suzanne Litchfield. Over £1,300 was raised for Flexicare which provides help for the whole family where there is a member with a disability. It was run, as usual, by Kevin and Ruth Carter, although this year, Ruth retired her bicyle.