Membership shall be open to both ladies and gentlemen. Each candidate for membership must be proposed and seconded by two members of the club and the nomination given in writing to the Hon. Secretary. The Committee, after considering objections, if any, by any member of the committee, to such candidate, may proceed with the election which must be by majority vote of the committee and majority vote of the Trustees. Membership then becomes effective on payment of Annual Subscription. Members who have not paid their Annual Subscription by 1st December in any year will be deemed to have lapsed their membership and must re-apply for election. Lapsed members will be allowed to play in the club provided they pay their table money but will not be eligible for any prize.
Members re-accepted between the 1st September and the 31st December will enjoy full membership benefits from date of re-acceptance if their annual subscription is paid.
New or re-accepted members on or after 1st January will be eligible to play in all the Club Competitions but will be ineligible to win any prize in any competition listed on our Club Calendar.
The Club welcomes guests or visitors. Table money must be paid, but they are not eligible for prizes or to play on competition nights listed on our calendar. Any person who is ineligible for prizes under these rules and forms a partnership in pairs or team events will automatically disqualify the full partnership or teams from the prizewinners.
In the event of any member acting in such a manner as to bring the club into disrepute or to disrupt the smooth running of the club or the enjoyment of other members, the committee shall have the right to reprimand such a member, and to warn them as to their future conduct. This may be done verbally or in writing. If the said member should continue to so act, the committee, if they obtain the full majority approval of the Trustees, or the Trustees, if they obtain the approval of two of the Management Committee, shall cancel such persons membership and refund their Annual Subscription for that year.
Organisation and Management
The care of and responsibility for the proper administration of the Naas Maudlins Bridge Club shall be vested in two Trustees. They shall ensure that the Management Committee interpret and administer this Constitution and the playing rules of bridge as laid down by the C.B.A.I. They must ensure that the Management Committee, does not act or allow members to act, in any manner which would militate against Beginner, Novice or Intermediate “B” grades, and that the Management Committee carries out the objectives of the club at all times. There shall be no restriction on Trustees holding any office in the Management Committee. Trustees shall be elected for a five-year period and may resign at any time. The remaining Trustees shall have the right to co-opt any member as a replacement. At the end of the five year term a new election must take place, but at least three out-going Trustees with the highest number of votes shall be deemed to be re-elected in the event of all out-going Trustees not being in the first five places in the ballot.
- A Management Committee, elected each year at the Annual General Meeting, which shall be held in Maudlins House Hotel , shall control the club.
- The Committee shall put into effect all Resolutions passed at the Annual General Meeting and shall make such Regulations as they shall from time to time see fit, provided that such Regulations shall not alter, amend or repeal any Regulations embodied in this Constitution.
- The committee shall consist of the President, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer, and any additional Committee Members.
- The Vice-President of the previous year shall be installed as President and shall nominate the new Vice-President at the A.G.M. each year. The election of Officers remains unchanged. No member of the Committee may serve for a period of more than five consecutive years. All Committee members must be elected by ballot each year. In the event of insufficient nominations being posted, to create a vote, the committee must put forward extra nominations to create a ballot. All ballots are by simple majority and the President shall have a casting vote. Two nominated members of the club who shall be appointed by the committee shall carry out the Annual Audit of the Accounts.
- The President shall be an Hon. Member during his/her year of office. The out-going President shall automatically become ex-officio a member of the incoming Committee if he/she so wishes.
- The committee have the right to co-opt any member should a vacancy occur
- For any valid meeting of the above committee, there shall be at least 3 persons present.
- The committee shall have the power to appoint sub-committees where necessary. The President shall ex-officio be a member of every committee.
- All decisions reached at meetings of the club shall be by simple majority and the Chair shall have a casting vote in the event of a deadlock.
- The President shall preside over all affairs of the club and shall at all times be afforded the courtesy that the office demands. The President may preside over all or particular meetings of the club by expressing such a wish.
(B) The Vice-President will substitute for the President.
(C)The Hon. Secretary and Hon. Treasurer shall administer the affairs of the club as laid down at the Annual General Meeting and shall furnish all reports to the Annual General Meeting.
(D) Tournament Directors shall be appointed by the committee and shall run
Competitions as laid down by the C.B.A.I.
Extraordinary General Meetings
The committee may call an Extraordinary General Meeting at any time and must call one at the request, in writing, of one-third of the members of the club.
Change to the Constitution
Alterations, amendments or changes to the Constitution shall be made only at a General Meeting of the members and shall require a two-third majority vote of the members present and voting at the meeting.
Annual General Meeting
Notice of the date fixed for the meeting shall be sent by e-mail to all members two weeks preceding the Annual General Meeting. Nominations and Resolutions must be submitted before the start of the AGM. A quorum of at least 30% of members must be present at any AGM or EGM.