Full Screen Print Page Latest Enhancements Web Administration Help and Guide
Release 2.19m
Home Page
2019 AGM
DIRECTIONS TO NEW CLUB
Contact Us
Committee Photo 2016
BEGINNERS COURSES
NEWCOMERS & IMPROVERS
INTERMEDIATE EVENTS
2017 ANNUAL REVIEW
Rubber Bridge Scoring
TIPS FOR IMPROVERS ARCHIVE
Tips for December 2018
Tips for November 2018
Tips for October 2018
Tips for Sept 2018
Tips for Aug 2018
Tips for July 2018
Tips for June 2018
Tips for May 2018
Tips for April 2018
Tips for March 2018
Tips for February 2018
Tips for January 2018
Tips for December 2017
Tips for November 2017
Tips for October 2017
Tips for September 2017
Tips for August 2017
Tips for July 2017
Tips for June 2017
Tips for May 2017
Tips for April 2017
Tips for March 2017
Tips for February 2017
Tips for January 2017
Tips for December 2016
Tips for November 2016
Tips for October 2016
Tips for September 2016
Tips for August 2016
Tips for July 2016
Tips for June 2016
Tips for May 2016
Tips for April 2016
Tips for March 2016
Tips for February 2016
Tips for January 2016
Tips for December 2015
Tips for November 2015
Tips for October 2015
Tips for September 2015
Tips for August 2015
Tips for July 2015
Tips for June 2015
Tips for May 2015
Tips for April 2015
Tips for March 2015
Tips for February 2015
Tips for January 2015
Tips for December 2014
Tips for November 2014
Tips for October 2014
Tips for September 2014
Tips for August 2014
Tips for July 2014
Tips for June 2014
Tips for May 2014
Tips for April 2014
Tips for March 2014
Tips for February 2014
Tips for January 2014
Tips for December 2013
Tips for November 2013
Tips for October 2013
Tips for September 2013
Tips for August 2013
Tips for July 2013
Tips for June 2013
Tips for May 2013
Tips for April 2013
Tips for February 2013
Tips for January 2013
Tips for December 2012
Tips for November 2012
Tips for October 2012
Tips for September 2012
Tips for August 2012
Useful Links
Archive 2019
Archive 2018
Archive 2017
2017 M. BRUNNER RESULTS
Archive 2016
2016 ANNUAL REVIEW
2016 Eve Lighthill Results
2016 Ruia Cup Final Results
2016 PAR Contest Results
2016 Ben Beever Tribute by Vera
2016 Martin Braid Photos
Archive 2015
2015 Eve Lighthill Cup
Newsletters 2015
Santa Claus Pairs Photos
2015 Ruia Cup Final Results
Martin Braid Photos & Results
Archive 2014
2014 Club Annual Review
2014 Ruia Cup
2014 Michelle Brunner
2014 Eve Lighthill Cup
Archive 2013
2013 Annual Review
2013 Halloween Photos
2013 Michelle Brunner
2013 Ruia Cup
2013 Newsletters
2013 Newcomers League Feb
2013 Playing Bridge on Holiday
Archive 2012
2012 December Newsletter
2012 News
2012 Santa Claus Pairs
2012 Santa Claus Pairs Photos
2012 Eve Lighthill Trophy Photos
Archive 2011
2011 Annual Review
2011 December Newsletter
Recent Updates
Home Page
19th Apr 2019 07:22 BST
Archive 2019
15th Apr 2019 06:10 BST
2019 AGM
10th Apr 2019 08:40 BST
NEWCOMERS & IMPROVERS
27th Mar 2019 08:38 GMT
0 0 0 0 0 0
Pages viewed in 2019
Bulletin

Welcome to

MANCHESTER BRIDGE CLUB

 

 

Now firmly established in our new home premises at

81 WELLINGTON ROAD, FALLOWFIELD, MANCHESTER M14 6BN

(See yellow tab 2nd from top left for directions)

Ring the club on 0161 445 3712  or Dave on 07717 252114 for any clarification

or email daviddebbage@hotmail.co.uk

 

 

 

AGM of MANCHESTER BRIDGE CLUB

Sunday 7th April 2019

Members attending participated in a brief round-up by Jeff of last years' exciting news items culminating in the move to Fallowfield. This was followed by a delicious supper prepared  and served by Eylem and a duplicate from 7.30pm.

Jeff's Review of 2018 Activities, Successes and Results are now under the yellow tab top left of this page marked "2019 AGM"

 

 

Michael Clarke

With great sadness we must inform members that Michael Clarke died on 17th April.  He was primarily a rubber bridge player but had been a member of the Agamemnon league team for many years, playing with Martin Braid until Martin's death then with Jeff Morris.  The team always placed well in the league, winning in 2007 and finishing second this year.  Michael was also on the Goldstone Trophy winning team in 2007 and won the Gazette Trophy a couple of times on Manchester Bridge Club teams.  In 1982 he won the National Masters Pairs with Jeremy Wyndham.  Our condolences go to his wife and family.
RESULTS

Teltscher Trophy Result

England regain the Teltscher Trophy

The Teltscher Trophy - the 'senior Camrose' competition - took place this weekend. This year the event was held in Edinburgh, Scotland.

The England team (pictured from left to right: Norman Selway, Gunnar Hallberg, Paul Hackett, Brian Senior, John Holland, David Mossop and NPC Simon Cochemé) were victorious, winning all 10 matches on the way to the trophy.

Last year's champions Scotland were runners up.

RESULTS

Preston Blue Point Pairs

Nearly half the field were Manchester players at Preston on 14th April.  Best Manchester result was achieved by John Holland with Jackie Pye who were second.  Jeff Morris and John Hassett were third. 
Results are on the Preston site.

2019 Yeh Bros Cup

The 2019 Yeh Bros Cup (Shanghai Bridge Master Championship) started on 8th April.

28 Teams are taking part. The England team includes: Andrew Black (Captain), Gunnar Hallberg, Phil King, Andrew McIntosh, Artur Malinowski and David Bakhshi.

There are also English players in the Pharon Team (Paul Hackett, Jason Hackett, Justin Hackett, Brian Senior, Mike Bell and Alex Hydes) and the Allfrey Team (Thomas Paske, Ed Jones, and David Gold).

Live coverage of the event will be shown on Bridge Base Online. Good Luck to all involved.

MCBA INTERMEDIATE SWISS PAIRS

 
26 pairs from various clubs in the area had a very enjoyable afternoon playing Swiss Pairs at the Club on March 24th.
Congratulations to the winners Wendy Burton and Angela Ashleigh, with Susan Bloor and Sue Ralph in second place, only just ahead of third placed Annie Curtis and Jackie Lowrie.
Full results can be found on the club websites of Manchester, Larkhill and Altrincham.
 

Winners

Winners Wendy Burton and Angela Ashleigh

third

Third Annie Curtis and Jackie Lowrie

EBU ARTICLE

4 Mar 2019

Rare Bridge Mention on BBC Sport

This weekend saw a rare Bridge mention on the BBC website's sports pages, following one year ban handed to World Number one Bridge Player Geir Helgemo.

RESULTS

Eric Howarth Cup

Congratulations to the team of Catherine Draper, Andrew Petrie, David Debbage and Andrew Woodcock on winning the Eric Howarth Cup held at the Deva.

(03/03/2019 Merseyside & Cheshire Bridge Association)

RESULTS

Hubert Phillips

Congratulations to John Holland, Alan Mould, Jeff Smith and Jackie Pye who have reached the final of the Hubert Phillips with a good win over Heather Dhondy's team.  This team has now reached the final in two of the last three years.
RESULTS

Lederer Trophy

The annual invitation Lederer Trophy took place on 23-24th February at the RAC club in London.  There were many international stars playing in the various teams.  Manchester players in the Chairman's team were John Holland, Alan Mould and Gary Hyett with Graham Kirby, Ben Norton and Alex Roberts.  For the event web site click here.

21 Feb 2019

John Holland tops National Master Point list

John Holland has regained the Sunday Telegraph Salver, for the most Master Points earned in the calendar year.

John, who has won the competition on six previous occasions, earned 26,361 points in 2018. Gary Hyett, was second with 21,699. 

John also topped the Gold Point list.

CONGRATULATIONS!

NEWS

EBED Teacher's Course has celebrity guests!

The students at the latest EBED Teaching Course at Stretford Bridge Club were surprised to discover two members of the popular quiz show Eggheads were at the club at the same time.  Eleven students from local and far-flung places (two from Guernsey and one from Scotland) were all learning to become EBU bridge teachers under EBU tutor Mike Hickling as well as being fed and watered by Stretford BC Catering Manager Sheila Reynolds.
The two TV quizzers: Pat Gibson, currently the top quizzer in the country and the world and Dave ‘Tremendous Knowledge’ Rainford were taking part in the Quizzing Circuit monthly American Grand Prix quiz under the proctorship of Club Secretary Dave Tilley.  If you are interested in quizzing and would like to come and try a British or American Grand Prix quiz (held in Warrington on the first or second Saturday), contact Dave at tilsit@btinternet.com.  Entry is free for first-timers and many of the popular TV quizzers take part in the local heat from time to time.
Bridge Course
See if you can spot Irene and Barbara!
EBU ARTICLE

31 Jan 2019

Playing with novices and how it affects NGS grades

EBU Membership Campaign Officer Tim Anderson has written a new blog post looking at the how playing bridge with a novice affects your NGS grade.

In the blog, Tim addresses the worries of some players that playing with a novice will negatively impact their NGS rating and explains the options clubs have for holding novice sessions.

CLUB CHAMPION 2018
CLUB CHAMPION 2018

CLUB CHAMPION 2018

Congratulations to EVE LIGHTHILL on becoming our 2018 Club Champion.

This Club Senior Individual Player Contest has been achieved by coming top on Wednesday Evenings over the 12 months period between April 2017 and May 2018.

Well Done Eve! 

Current Competitions

2018 / 19 Club Championship

This Wednesday Evening Individual Player Contest runs from

May 1st  2018 until the end of April 2019

*************

2019 Geoff Nuttall Trophy

This Monday Evening Duplicate Individual Player Contest runs from

January 2019 until the end of April 2019

*************

WIN A FREE SESSION!
WIN A FREE SESSION!

The Winning Pair on Monday,

Wednesday and Thursday evenings 

can claim their

NEXT BRIDGE NIGHT FREE!!

NEED A PARTNER?

Image result for card playing partner pics

Here at Manchester Bridge Club we can always find you a playing partner but please arrive in good time to allow us to find someone suited to your ability.

If you arrive at the last minute you may have to take "pot luck"! 

Alternatively please phone David ahead of the session to ask him to find someone for you.

"We aim to please!!"

DO YOU RECEIVE OUR E-MAILS & NEWSLETTER?
DO YOU RECEIVE OUR E-MAILS & NEWSLETTER?

Are you receiving the Bridge Club e-Mails & Newsletter?

If not - please let Dave know so he can make sure you are included.

If you would prefer not to be contacted please email Dave at the address below.

Tel: 0161 445 3712 or davedebbage@hotmail.co.uk

Thankyou.

Tips for Sept 2018

TIPS FOR IMPROVERS

 

Points of interest from the September 2018 duplicates

 

 

1       Game inexplicably missed

 

Board 7 Monday 3 September– Vulnerability Amber – Dealer South

 

 

AJxxx

xx

Q

KJ9xx

 

Kxx

Jx

AKJxxx

xx

 

Qx

Axx

108xx

AQxx

 

109x

KQ10xxx

xx

10x

 

 

Only one pair out of eight managed to reach 3NT on the above hand which I found quite remarkable.  At four of the eight tables West played in 4 Diamonds plus one.  3NT should be reached regardless of whether South opens a weak 2 Hearts or passes because he is vulnerable and considers his hand a little weak.

 

If South opens a weak 2 Hearts then the auction should be very brief:

 

North

East

South

West

 

Pass

Pass

 

3NT

2 Hearts

Pass

 

3 Diamonds

Pass

 

With a Heart stop and twelve points opposite a vulnerable three level overcall East expects to make game in notrumps.

 

Should South pass if he feels he a little weak for a vulnerable weak two then the bidding is likely to go:-

 

North

East

South

West

 

1 Spade

Pass

Pass

 

2 Spades

3 Spades

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

1 Diamond

3 Diamonds

3NT

 

East starts off by cuebidding 2 Spades to promise at least four card Diamond support and 10 plus points.  West holding only 12 points initially signs off in 3 Diamonds.  East is worth a further move with 3 Spades asking if West has a Spade stop and West is happy to oblige  The only difference now is that West is the Declarer.

 

With East the Declarer the likely lead is the King of Hearts.  Declarer wins the second round of Hearts and cashes the Ace and King of Diamonds (best technique is to unblock the 10 on one of the first two rounds to ensure that there is no danger of the Diamond suit subsequently being blocked).  With eight tricks on top Declarer has a choice between the Club finesse and playing a Spade to the Queen.  It is correct to play a Spade to the Queen because while South might have the King of Clubs it is unlikely that he has the Ace of Spades since that would make him a little heavy for a 2 Heart opener.  When the Queen of Spades wins Declarer then runs off the rest of his Diamonds.  North’s discards will give declarer a good clue as to whether he can risk an overtrick by finessing the Queen of Clubs at trick ten.  Result either +600 or +630.

 

With West the Declarer the likely lead is a Spade from North.  Now when the Queen of Spades wins the first trick you can run all the Diamonds and if you watch North’s discards like a hawk (who will have to make five discards on the run of the Diamonds) you will be able to judge whether it is safe to finesse the Clubs for an overtrick.  Again the result is either +600 or +630.

 

 

2       Keycard at the second bid !

 

Board 9 Thursday 6 September – Vulnerability East West – Dealer North

 

 

J98x

xx

Qxxx

Axx

 

Qxx

10x

xxxx

KQ9x

 

10

Kxx

KJ10x

J10xxx

 

AKxxx

AQJxxx

A

x

 

 

I consider that the South hand is so strong that it is one of the extremely rare occasions on which it is correct to launch straight into Roman Key Card Blackwood on the second round of the bidding.  In some respects the South hand is worthy of a 2 Club opener.  However experience shows that with such a shape it is better in the long run to start off with a humble 1 Heart and accept the very rare occasions on which 1 Heart might be passed out.

 

When North responds 1 Spade the South hand is absolutely huge.  While some might argue for a splinter bid of 4 Clubs this will not achieve anything.  Given that as little as Qxxxx Spades in the North hand and a singleton Heart makes a contract of 6 Spades almost ironclad and as the South hand only has 3 losers the chances of a 5 Spade contract not making if the North hand is unsuitable for slam is quite low.  North shows one keycard and now South bids the next step asking for the Queen of trumps.  The reason why South asks for the Queen of Spades is that if North had both the Queen of Spades and the King of Hearts he would respond 5 Hearts which would allow South to bid a grand slam in Spades.  North denies the Queen of Spades by signing off in 5 Spades.  However despite this denial South goes on to the slam.  Why is this?   Well for one thing if North held a 5th trump then the chances of bringing in the Spades would be at least 78% (since the odds of a 3-nil trump split are 22%).  Secondly even if there is a Spade loser then the Heart finesse is still available.

 

We can quantify the approximate odds of 6 Spades making.  If the Spades come in the contract makes.  This is 52.5 % (2-2 split plus singleton Queen = 40% + 12½ %.  If the Spades do not come in then the contract will still make when the Heart finesse is working.  So we can add in one half of the remaining 47.5% or 23.75%.  The total odds of the contract making are therefore 76.25%.

 

North

East

South

West

Pass

1 Spade

5 Clubs

5 Spades

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

1 Heart

4NT

5 Diamonds

6 Spades

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

 

 

However the play of 6 Spades does have something of a sting in the tail.  Five pairs out of eight reached the slam but two of these five pairs went down after receiving a Club lead.  As the Club lead takes out the only quick entry to the North hand it is crucial to make use of this entry by finessing Hearts at trick two.  The Heart finesse works and now the Ace and King of Spades can be cashed.  The Queen does not drop but this matters not as declarer can continue with the Ace of Hearts and easily set up the Hearts even if they break four one.  However note the difference if Declarer carelessly starts to draw trumps at trick two.  When the Ace and King of Spades fail to drop the Queen Declarer is forced to continue with a third round of Spades.  West wins and forces Declarer’s fourth trump by continuing Clubs.  Now Declarer is forced to hope that East started off with only two Hearts by playing his last trump to the Jack in the Dummy and finessing in Hearts.  When the finesse wins but the Ace does not then drop the King declarer goes at least one trick down depending on whether East has any Clubs left.

 

3       Autosplinter paves the route to slam

 

Board 18 Monday 10 September – Vulnerability North South – Dealer East

 

 

109

J10x

Jxx

KJ98x

 

xx

A9xx

A109x

Qxx

 

AKQJxxx

Qx

KQxx

None

 

xx

Kxxx

xx

A10xxx

 

 

Twenty years ago the East hand would have started off proceedings with a strong 2 Spades opener showing at least eight playing tricks in Spades and the bid was forcing for one round ie it could not be passed.  However now that  strong two bids in a major have gone out of fashion largely because of the low frequency with which they occur a method has to be found to catch up later in the bidding.  The answer is that whenever partner responds 1NT to the opening bid of one major the opening bidder is able to describe his hand accurately on the second round by use of the Autosplinter.  If East had a game going hand with Spades and a minor he would jump to the three level in the minor suit to insist that game be reached.  Thus a jump to the four level in a minor cannot possibly be natural.  Instead it is an autosplinter setting his original major as trumps and inviting the responder to cue-bid in case a slam is available.

 

North

East

South

West

 

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

1 Spade

4 Clubs1

5 Spades2

6 Spades

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

1NT

4 Diamonds

6 Hearts3

Pass

 

1           Autosplinter setting Spades as trumps

2           A jump to the five level after cuebids have been exchanged in two suits says “I have no control in the fourth suit (Hearts), have you got the Ace or King?”

3           I have the Ace of Hearts in case you are interested in a Grand Slam.

 

West cuebids in Diamonds and as East has the King of Diamonds he knows that West must therefore have the Ace.  However East is still worried about the Heart suit.  By jumping to the five level over 4 Diamonds he is asking West to look exclusively at his Heart holding.  If West held the King of Hearts he would jump to 6 Spades.  By bidding instead 6 Hearts he is showing the Ace of Hearts.  In fact if East were desperately in need of a top he might consider bidding 7 Diamonds which only needs a 3-2 break in Diamonds.  However this is very risky as West might have only 3 Diamonds in say a 1=4=3=5 or 2=3=3=5 shape.  Only one East West pair out eight reached 6 Spades.  Clearly the others need to learn Autosplinters!