Spade Heart  Diamond Club
Recent Updates
Home Page
21st Apr 2018 18:01 BST
Constitution
17th Apr 2018 10:08 BST
Competition Winners
15th Apr 2018 21:02 BST
News Page
15th Apr 2018 21:02 BST
Holidays
15th Apr 2018 21:01 BST
Bulletin
14th Jan 2018 17:28 GMT
0 0 0 0 0 0
Pages viewed in 2018
Bulletin

Use the 'Contact us' button to leave us a message via the heading 'Information'.

 
COMMITTEE
 
CHAIRMAN                        ANNE RICHARDSON
 
VICE CHAIRMAN                CHRIS EMBURY
 
TREASURER.                       PAT SHEA
 
CHIEF DIRECTOR              MOIRA BLOOMFIELD
             
DIRECTOR.                        PAUL WEST
 
ASSISTANT
DIRECTOR.                       JOHN BEATTIE
 
CHIEF ADMINISTRATOR/
SECRETARY                        SUSAN TRIGGS
 
SEMINAR
CO-ORDINATOR                 PAT CHOULARTON
 
FRIDAY CLUB
ORGANIZER AND
BUILDINGS
CO-ORDINATOR.                     BERNARD SHEA
 
DUPLIMATOR.                   BRIDGET WARREN
 
ADMINISTRATOR.             JANE CAFFREY
 
ADMINISTRATOR             CARMEL WILLIAMS
 
 
NOTICES
NOTICES

NEXT THURSDAY  BRIDGE IS ON THURS 26TH APRIL. BLUE BADGE PARKING ONLY ON LARKHILL CAR PARK. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE CENTRE BEFORE 12.30 ON THURSDAYS OR 12.45 ON FRIDAYS (EVEN IF THE DOORS ARE OPEN).

THE CENTRE WILL BE CLOSED FOR 2 WEEKS 13TH TO 26TH AUGUST FOR THE REFURBISMENT. MORE DETAILS LATER. 

 

 
NEW POLICY
NEW POLICY

THURSDAY PLAY - Five minutes before the start of the session (12.45) the Director will ring the bell and all participants must be seated at the table where they intend to play. At this point, a pair at a table without an opposing pair, a player without a partner or whose partner is expected to be late needs to notify the Director. Late arrivals after 12.50 will only be allowed to play at the Director's discretion. Once the movement has been entered on the computer and the play is set for the session, latecomers will not be able to play. This ruling will be strictly enforced.

 

WANT TO LEARN TO PLAY BRIDGE?
WANT TO LEARN TO PLAY BRIDGE?

LESSONS FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS ARE HELD AT THE HUB IN ALTRINCHAM FRIDAYS 1 TO 3 PM. PLEASE RING 0161 283 2374 BEFORE ATTENDING.

PROFESSIONAL AND TRADES PEOPLE
PROFESSIONAL AND TRADES PEOPLE

AS A SERVICE TO OUR MEMBERS WE ARE COMPILING A LIST OF PROFESSIONALS AND TRADES PEOPLE. IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS LIST PLEASE WRITE THEM ON THE LIST ON THE NOTICEBOARD. MEMBERS' RECOMMENDATIONS ONLY.

CAR PARKING
CAR PARKING

Only limited car parking can be allowed on the small Larkhill Centre car park due to the requirements for access for emergency vehicles.  I would urge members to use the large free public car park adjacent to the centre which from January 2016 has a 3 hour time limit with no return within the hour. There are some spaces for blue badge holders near to the path leading to the centre.  There are shortly to be parking restrictions on Thorley Lane itself but there is another free car park in the village behind the library which sometimes has spaces.

 
PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM
PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM

BELIEVED TO BE A MISQUOTE

BUT KEEP READING ANYWAY!

♠ Heap praise in spades

 Treasure your partner

 Friends are like diamonds

♣ Don't club your opponents

Instead of an inquest at the table

use the Play it again feature on

the hand records - it's brilliant!

THE HOLIDAY BRIDGE CLUB
THE HOLIDAY BRIDGE CLUB
Larkhill Bridge Club is now a member of the Holiday Bridge Club. Points awarded to members each week can be accumulated and the vouchers given used as a discount on bridge holidays in both the UK and overseas. Further details will be available at the club or visit the website: 
www.bridgeoverseas.co.uk
Brochures available
 
 
AGM 17 Minutes
Minutes of AGM 2017

LARKHILL AGM 2017

 

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Apologies received from Keith Tomlinson, Irene Robinson, Joyce Woolley, Pat Choularton, Susan Triggs, Carmel Williams, Janet Hardman, Brian and Shani Wilkins, Bridget Warren and Ann Roe.
  2. CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES FROM AGM Previous minutes are no longer required to be read out. They are on the website. No matters arising, they were agreed. Proposed by Tony Mortimer and seconded by Bernard Shea.
  3. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT Larkhill has once again had a very successful year and enquiries regarding membership remain buoyant. We have increased our membership up from 175 to 188 and there are just a small number on the waiting list who have been offered places. Friday Club has continued to increase in numbers and we have achieved 11 tables on a couple of occasions. We welcomed Bridget and Jane to the committee. Bridget has taken over the role of duplimating the boards very successfully. Jane organizes the holiday and free play vouchers with great efficiency and probably knows all the club members better than I do now. Pat continues to act as treasurer and has our accounts professionally audited. All the committee and directors work very hard with no renumeration to keep the club going successfully. Our members too help in many ways and keep our name in the forefront of local bridge clubs. There have been several successes in outside competitions. My friend Maureen, sadly no longer with us, worked tirelessly to raise money for charities and assisted me in making the Huntington’s charity fundraiser our most successful ever. In memory of Maureen I would like to inaugurate an annual charity prize event in her name with a donation to the 2 charities close to her heart, for the first year of the event, Macmillan nurses and Parkinsons. We have taken several bridge holidays with different companies. The holiday in Cadiz was enjoyed by a small group at a really fabulous 5 star hotel. This was followed by a small group at Twixmas with Steve Mattinson’s holidays at the Queen Hotel in Chester, then a larger group for a week’s holiday at Lake Maggiore and more recently at Cala Galdana in Menorca. I count myself extremely lucky  to have been able to attend all these holidays. Our next planned trip is another Twixmas break, this time with Helen Barr Holidays in Skipton. Next year we kick off with a Bridge Overseas holiday to the Cotswolds so save those vouchers. The date is 22nd March for 4 nights and then Tuscany in June, our largest ever group, some of whom are on their 2nd or even 3rd stay. We have lost a few dates this year but the hall and kitchen have been improved and continue to provide us with a superb venue. Moira does a great job in managing the Directors for us and has encouraged some of us to take the Directors’ Training course at Trafford Bridge Club. Some more volunteers would be appreciated so that the load can be spread more evenly. The club has paid for the 3 day training course and we are very fortunate to have an EBU club so close to us who organized the training so well.  It is always sad to lose people as directors and our thanks to Carmel who has been such a help to us. I am aware that many people give above and beyond and are not always in the best of health. Janet has also decided to resign after several years on the committee as she has taken on more work and feels unable to devote enough time. Keith has had a knee replacement but we look forward to welcoming him back before too long. Hazel has now stepped up to directing on Thursdays and continues to direct on Fridays with Geoff, Suzanne and Paul taking turns. Due to another successful year we intend to offer our members another free Christmas Party bridge event on Thursday 21st December. Kevin provided us with some interesting lessons with 2 courses in what were, slightly less than salubrious surroundings. Before I venture to book any more lessons I would need to investigate other possible venues which proved difficult the first time round, given the prices that many quoted. I have had requests for beginner lessons as there are none at Trafford this autumn and there are no longer lessons at Hale. If anyone is interested in doing a complete beginners course please let me know.
  4. TREASURER’S REPORT Pat Shea presented the Year end accounts, showing a healthy balance of £10,822.96. Our income is slightly down on last year due to a few dates that we were unable to play e.g. when the kitchen was refurbished. The accounts continue to be audited by Adam Broom, who again asked for his fee to be donated to Marie Curie. This was proposed, seconded and agreed.
  5. DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT Paul was pleased at the way the club had progressed. Originally the play was slow but it has now speeded up and we need to keep this up. Paul has now joined Kate Fisher on the committee  of The Larkhill Centre together with Michael Caffrey, husband of Jane. Paul continues to support the Manchester Congress running the Paul West Players’ Progress Trophy on Saturday followed by the Kevin Comrie Cup on Sunday. This takes place in January, the first weekend after New Year.
  6. GENERAL BUSINESS No proposal for increase in subscriptions or table money. Some points have been made regarding ongoing issues namely Noise and a timely start. I shall deal with the timely start on Thursdays to begin with. Susan has made the following proposal:

“Five minutes before the start of a session on Thursday afternoon the Director will ring the bell and all participants must sit down at the table where they intend to play. At this point, a pair at a table without an opposing pair, a player without a partner or a player whose partner is expected to be late, needs to notify the Director. Late arrivals after 12.50 will only be allowed to play at the Director’s discretion. Once the movement has been input on the computer and the play is set for the session, latecomers will not be able to play.” Proposed by Susan – Seconded by Paul -Carried unanimously

Moira has proposed that we incorporate the EBU’s ‘Best Behaviour at Bridge’ into our rules.

This is as follows:

  • Greet others in a friendly manner prior to the start of play on each round
  •  Be a good “host” or “guest” at the table
  • Make bridge enjoyable for yourself, without criticizing partner or opponents
  • Give credit when opponents make a good bid or play
  • Take care of your personal grooming
  • Ensure that your mobile phone is on silent
  • Enjoy the company as well as the game
  • Avoid inquests particularly due to the noise level it creates

There were a couple of amendments made (included above) by the floor, before the vote was taken

PROPOSED – SECONDED – VOTED UNANIMOUSLY

Geoff Densham’s proposal

“Proposing items for Any Other Business at the AGM – A proposal shall be submitted in writing before the AGM as at present BUT will only be considered at the AGM if the proposer is present at the AGM”. In other words, no proposer at the AGM results in automatic withdrawal at the start of the AGM.

 

PROPOSED – SECONDED – VOTED UNANIMOUSLY

My proposal

Honorarium at the discretion of the floor to be awarded to the Treasurer and Duplimator as a thank you for their hard work every week.

 

PROPOSED NOT SECONDED THEREFORE WITHDRAWN. An alternative proposal from the floor was also rejected.

 

A suggestion for additional play was made, perhaps in the evening and Paul will check the availability of the hall for us.

 

Anne agreed to write a short newsletter to hand out for members to be informed of the new decisions taken at the AGM.

 

There being no other business, the meeting closed at 5.30 pm.