|THE GABLES BRIDGE CLUB RULES
1. The club shall be known as the Gables Bridge Club and its membership shall consist of the members in the club Register of Members.
2. The club shall be governed by a Management Committee elected by the members at the Annual General Meeting.
3. The Management Committee shall consist of 10 members. Three "executive members" (Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary) and 7 "additional members". Any four members of the Management Committee shall form a quorum. All members of the Management Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
4. The normal daily running of the club shall be the responsibility of the club Host/Hostess and/or such other persons as may be delegated by the Management Committee.
5. Duplicate Competitions, League Matches and other forms of Duplicate Bridge shall be the
responsibility of a sub-committee known as the Duplicate Committee.
6. Members of a sub-committee shall be nominated by its Chairman.
7. Sub-committees shall from time to time submit their Minutes to the Management Committee for adoption or otherwise.
8. The Management Committee shall have the power to co-opt any additional members. Such members may serve until the next Annual General Meeting and shall be eligible for reelection.
9. Applications for membership shall be sponsored by two members who have been members for 2 years and are personally acquainted with the applicant. The application shall be displayed on the club notice board for twenty-one days. Any objections to the application must be made in writing to the Management Committee and final decision left to their discretion.
Subscription and Entrance Fee become due as soon as the club Secretary informs the applicant that his/her application has been successful. The name of the new member is entered in the Club Register upon receipt of the Annual Subscription and Entrance Fee. RESTRICTED MEMBERSHIP: Members of beginners classes organised within the club " shall be eligible for restricted membership for a period of six months at a Subscription pro
rata to the normal subscription. The restriction to be at the discretion of the Management Committee. At the end of this period they may be proposed for membership as per rule 10. STUDENT MEMBERSHIP: shall be given to any full time student under the age of 23 at a nominal subscription. Such members shall not hold office or voting rights.
10.The Annual Subscription and Entrance Fee shall be determined at a General Meeting.
11. Subscriptions shall be paid within one month of the Annual General Meeting otherwise membership may lapse.
12. Country Membership, at a reduced subscription is restricted to members whose normal residence is 7 miles from the Gables Bridge Club.
13. A Life Member may be elected at any Annual General Meeting for outstanding services to the club, provided that 14 days notice in writing is given to the Management Committee. A Life Member shall be entitled to all the privileges afforded to an ordinary member and shall pay no Annual Subscription.
14. Visitors are allowed not more than 3 visits a year and shall be introduced by members. Visitors shall sign the Visitors Book and shall pay an extra charge in addition to table money: this extra charge shall be determined by the Management Committee.
15. Visitors to Southport who are members of a Club affiliated to the E.B.U. may be accepted as Temporary Members for one month at a Fee to be fixed by the Management Committee.
16. Under no circumstances shall non-members be allowed to purchase intoxicating drinks nor shall intoxicating drinks be served outside permitted hours which are: -
11.30 a.m. - 3.00 p.m. Monday - Saturday, 12.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m. Sunday,
7.30 p.m. - 10.30 p.m. Monday - Thursday,
7.30 p.m. - 11.00 p.m. Friday - Saturday, 7.00 p.m. - 10.30 p.m. Sunday.
17. The members of the Management Committee shall have the power to reprimand, suspend or expel any members who shall infringe these rules, or those whose conduct in their opinion renders such person unfit for membership of the club. No member shall be expelled without first being summoned before the Management Committee to explain his/ her conduct.
18. The members of the Management Committee shall be the sole Directors and Shareholders of the Gables Bridge Club Limited and shall hold the shares for and on behalf of the members of the Club. This Limited Company shall be the legal holder of all Deeds and Documents of Title to the property of the Club.
19. The funds of the Club shall be banked in its own name. Cheques shall be signed by either the Chairman or Treasurer of the Management Committee.
20. Sessions, Table Money and stakes shall be determined by the Management Committee.
21. The Host/Hostess on duty shall decide all matters in dispute between members arising out of all games in the Club and his/her decision shall be final.
22. The club will be open daily from 2.00 p.m. to 5.30. p.m. and from 7.30 p.m. to 11.00 p.m. on days specified by the Management Committee
23. The Club year will commence on 1st. June each year.
24. The Annual General Meeting shall be held in July each year and the date shall be notified to all members not less than 14 days before each meeting.
25. Any 20 members may request a Special General Meeting provided an Agenda is submitted to the Management Committee not less than 14 days before the date of such meeting.
26. Amendments to Rules require a two-thirds majority of the members present at the General Meeting.
NOTE: If it is necessary at any time to amend rules in order to comply with the law, the Management Committee shall make the necessary amendment and post notice to this effect on the Club Notice Board.
27. A member wishing to propose any amendment to the rules or to nominate a person (whose prior consent to stand shall have been obtained) for service on the Management Committe shall submit the proposal in writing to the Secretary not later than fourteen days prior to the Annual General Meeting and this proposal shall be posted on the Club Notice Board at least seven days before the Annual General Meeting.
28. Any matter not covered by these rules shall be dealt with by the Management Committee.