DONABATE BRIDGE CLUB
CONSTITUTION & RULES
The Club shall be known as Donabate Bridge Club.
The objective of the club shall be the playing and promotion of Bridge under the rules, guidance and objectives of the C.B.A.I. and will be fully registered as a Club with the Contract Bridge Association of Ireland.
Membership shall be open to both ladies and gentlemen. Each candidate for membership must be proposed and seconded by two members of the club and the nomination given in writing to the Secretary. The Management Committee, after considering objections, if any, by any member of the committee, to such candidate, may proceed with the election which must be by majority vote of the committee. Membership then becomes effective on payment of Annual Subscription. Members who have not paid their Annual Subscription by 1st December in any year will be deemed to have lapsed in their membership and must re-apply for election. Lapsed members will be allowed to play in the club provided they pay their table money but will not be eligible for any prize.
Members re-accepted between the 1st Dec. and the 31st March will enjoy full membership benefits from date of re-acceptance if their annual subscription is paid.
New or re-accepted members on or after 1st April will be eligible to play in all the Club Competitions but will be ineligible to win any prize in any competition listed on our Club Calendar.
The Club welcomes guests or visitors. Table money must be paid, but they are not eligible for prizes on competition nights listed on our calendar. Any person who is ineligible for prizes under these rules and forms a partnership in pairs or team events will automatically disqualify the full partnership or teams from the prizewinners.
Lapsed members cannot play as guests within twelve months of lapsing of their membership.
In the event of any member acting in such a manner as to bring the club into disrepute or to disrupt the smooth running of the club or the enjoyment of other members, the committee shall have the right to reprimand such a member, and to warn them as to their future conduct. This may be done verbally or in writing. If the said member should continue to so act, the Committee, if they obtain the full majority approval of the Committee, shall cancel such person’s membership and refund their Annual Subscription for that year.
4.(A) MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
The care of and responsibility for the proper administration of the Donabate Bridge Club shall be vested in the Management Committee.
- A Management Committee, elected each year at the Annual General Meeting, which shall be held in September, shall control the club.
- The Committee shall put into effect all Resolutions passed at the Annual General Meeting and shall make such Regulations as they shall from time to time see fit, provided that such Regulations shall not alter, amend or repeal any Regulations embodied in this Constitution.
- The committee shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and up to 6 Committee Members.
- The Vice-President of the previous year shall be installed as President and shall nominate the new Vice-President at the A.G.M. each year. The election of Officers remains unchanged. No member of the Committee may serve for a period of more than three consecutive years. All Committee members must be elected by ballot each year. In the event of insufficient nominations being posted, to create a vote, the committee must put forward extra nominations to create a ballot. All ballots are by simple majority and the President shall have a casting vote.
- Two nominated members of the club who shall be appointed by the committee shall carry out the Annual Audit of the Accounts.
- The President shall be an Honarary Member during his/her year of office. The out-going President shall automatically become ex-officio a member of the incoming Committee if he/she so wishes.
- The committee have the right to co-opt any member should a vacancy occur
- For any valid meeting of the above committee, there shall be at least ( three ) persons present.
- The committee shall have the power to appoint sub-committees where necessary. The President shall ex-officio be a member of every committee.
- All decisions reached at meetings of the club shall be by simple majority and the President shall cast a tie breaking vote in the event of a deadlock.
- (B) OFFICES.
- The President shall preside over all affairs of the club and shall at all times be afforded the courtesy that the office demands. The President may preside over all or particular meetings of the club by expressing such a wish.
- The Vice-President will substitute for the President.
(C)The Secretary and Treasurer shall administer the affairs of the club as laid down at the Annual General Meeting and shall furnish all reports to the Annual General Meeting.
- Tournament Directors shall be appointed by the committee and shall run Competitions as laid down by the C.B.A.I.
4. (C) EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETINGS
The committee may call an Extraordinary General Meeting at any time and must call one at the request, in writing, of one-third of the members of the club.
- (D) CHANGE TO THE CONSTITUTION
Alterations, amendments or changes to the Constitution shall be made only at a General Meeting of the members and shall require a two-third majority vote of the members present and voting at the meeting.
4. (E) Annual General Meeting
Notice of the date fixed for the meeting shall be displayed on the Club Web Site for two weeks preceding the Annual General Meeting. Nominations and Resolutions must be displayed on the Web Site before the start of the AGM. A quorum of at least 30% of members must be present at any AGM or EGM.