Cheltenham Bridge Club
 
Recent Updates
Home Page
19th Jan 2018 16:37 GMT
Bridge Lessons
18th Jan 2018 09:09 GMT
2017 Winners
17th Jan 2018 13:52 GMT
53rd Congress
10th Jan 2018 09:58 GMT
 
Pages viewed in 2018
 
Youth Bridge
Youth Bridge

Click here or the title bar of this box to get to the GYB website.

Members Area

To access the Members only area please email membership@ cheltenhambridgeclub.com with your CBC membership number.

Club Manager

David John, our club manager, can be contacted either at the club or by phoning 07765 666960.

Pianola Login

Login to see a personalised history of your results and use our online partner finder. Questions about Pianola ONLY should be sent to pianola@cheltenhambridgeclub.com

Log in to Pianola

 
Our Building

Cheltenham Bridge Club officially opened in January 1967. However the building has a longer history which is detailed below.

1833    Land sold to a firm of solicitors.
1842 Houses built called Tarlogie Lodge East and Tarlogie Lodge West. Sold to John Brown at £1,450 the pair. Owned by the Brown family for most of the remainder of the 19th century and possibly later. Name changed from "Walcot House" to 2 Salopian Villas, then to "Corfin", and finally to 4, Tivoli Road.
1882 Sold by Major J Brown to Major-General Augustus Brown for £400 plus mortgage.
1919       Now called "Corfin". Sold by F L Harman Brown to David Lewis (first Chairman of Cheltenham and Gloucester Building Society) for £550.
June 1930                Sold by David Lewis to his son Harry for £700.
May 1955     Sold by Harry Lewis to Mrs O’Gorman for £2,500.
November 1955 Sold by Mrs O’Gorman to Nakdimon Shabbethay Doniach (a well-known GCHQ personality) for £3,125.
September 1961 Sold to John Widdowson (a master at Dean Close Junior School, and a member of the GCBA) for £4,600.
September 1966 Sold to the Trustees of Cheltenham Bridge Club for £6,250.
January 1967 Cheltenham Bridge Club officially opened.

The first income and expenditure account for the year ended 31st December 1967 showed income of £2,068 3s 9d and expenditure of £1,207 4s 8d giving a net profit of £869 19s 1d. Table money was 2s 6d.

Since the opening the premises have been extensively remodelled and maintained to a high standard and the playing facilities are amongst the best in the country. The club can accommodate thirty-six tables in play at any one time, whilst still leaving the basement free for refreshments. Being a members’ club there are no paid officials but an enthusiastic committee that ensures the smooth running of the club at all levels.