At the AGM on 31 October 2016, a proposal was put to introduce a hosting system. The reasons for doing so were:
The numbers playing in bridge clubs across the country is declining. We, in Camberley, are not immune to this trend. The number of members has declined, and the number of attendances has fallen also, particularly over the last 6 months.
To counteract this, we needed to look at ways to make bridge sessions more appealing, and to attract new members.
One of the difficulties we have, is that members have to arrive for a bridge session with a partner. When the normal partner is unavailable, people have to find someone else to play with, and this can be difficult. We offer the Find-a-Partner system to help, but not many members use it.
Also, when people move in to the area, and want to join a club, we find it difficult to arrange partners for them to play with. Similarly, anyone who has learnt bridge elsewhere, and now wants to join a club, finds it difficult to ‘break in’ to the closed circle without a partner.
Even when told that they should only vote for it if they were prepared to act as host themselves, 75% of those present and voting supported the proposal to introduce a ‘host’ system!
We have now prepared the initial “rules” governing a trial of the hosting system:
- The trial will last for 4 months
- It will commence at the beginning of 2017
- Members will be expected to volunteer as host once a year
- Team events will be exempt from hosting
- Volunteers can register to host a session on the calendar on the CBC website. If anyone has difficulty with this technology, a committee member will register him/her. Please see the full guide with a screen shot for more info HERE
- To register, find the date you would like to host from the "HOST CALENDAR", click “Host: Wanted” and enter your EBU number in the pop-up box. Then click “Check”. If all ok and your name has appeared, click “Accept”. If you do not know your EBU number, login to the “members only” and go to “Account” at the top. The details will include your EBU number.
- The calendar is for 1 month at a time but you can click back or forwards to see past or future months - click the arrows at the top left and top right to view other months (especially useful near the end of a month)
- If you change your mind after adding your name, please contact a committee member. They will then remove your name and change back to “Wanted” for you.
- Any member, or potential member, will be able to take advantage of the host system at any time there is a host registered on the site
- If the host plays, he/she will be exempt from paying table money. If the host does not play, he/she will be given the price of a bridge session to compensate.
- The default position is that the hosts will be included in the NGS (the EBU’s National Grading Structure). However, the Host may elect to be excluded from the NGS so that their position is not affected by playing with an unfamiliar partner – their name will then be recorded as “Jo Host”. In this case, the host would have to inform the director or scorer before play starts.
- The progress of the trial will be reviewed throughout the trial period, and changes may be made (and publicised) at any time during the trial
- If the Committee judges the trial to have been a success, members will be invited to make hosting a regular feature of the Club.
PLEASE support this initiative by volunteering to host a session.