Instant Matchpoint Game to be held on Monday July 9th. More information to follow.
The Sunday games will be held on the 3rd Sunday of each month until further notice. However no Bridge on Father's Day June 17th.
WEDNESDAY JUNE 27, 2018 IS BARBECUE DAY
THIS YEAR IT IS $15 WHICH INCLUDES A FREE BRIDGE GAME.
THE BRIDGE CLUB WILL PROVIDE STEAK, CHICKEN OR SALMON.
THE REST OF THE FOOD IS BY POT LUCK. EACH PERSON IS TO BRING SOMETHING WHICH WILL SERVE AT LEAST 6 OR MORE PEOPLE. A LIST WILL BE POSTED TO ENSURE THAT ALL FOODS ARE COVERED.
embership meeting shall be necessary.
6.10A Board member shall resign if a petition to that effect has been signed by 15 members of the Association, subject to a simple majority approval by the membership at the Annual General Meeting or a special membership meeting called to consider the petition.
6.11 If the Association is unable or unwilling to sustain itself, it shall be dissolved by a vote of the existing membership. The membership shall decide the disposition of any net assets.
6.12 The fiscal year shall be from January 1 - December 31.
6.13 The financial books of the Association shall be audited annually. This may be in the form of an external audit or, alternatively, an internal audit shall be performed by an Ad Hoc Audit Committee of three members appointed by the Board.
6.14 Any member may suggest issues for the Board to consider. If the Board chooses not to consider the issue, the member may proceed further by obtaining the supporting signature of 25 other members and re-submit the issue to the Board, at which point the Board will be bound to consider the issue. If, after due consideration, the Board in its wisdom decides that the matter has received sufficient
attention and does not wish to act further, the issue shall be considered closed until a new Board has been elected.
Article 7: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ELECTED OFFICERS
The Executive Board members shall each perform his/her assigned responsibilities in accordance with the Bylaws.
Article 8: APPOINTMENTS
As and when necessary, the Board may appoint members to non-elected functional positions. The appointed individuals may be asked to participate in the deliberations of the Board, but shall not have a vote. Further, these positions may be filled by elected Board members. A list of such positions, and their responsibilities, are laid out in the Bylaws. Specific job descriptions, including who the appointees are to report to, are to be determined when the appointments are made.
Article 9: ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Members of the Executive Board shall be elected or re-elected every year at the Annual General Meeting, which will normally be held on the second Wednesday in November. Under normal circumstances, the following election procedure shall be adopted:
9.1 Each year, a Nominating Committee of three persons from the general membership shall be appointed by the Board. This Committee should be formed at least two months prior to the Annual General Meeting. One of these three members will accept the title of Chairperson of the Committee. The purpose of the Committee shall be to canvas the current membership, including the Board, to compile a possible slate of officers for the ensuing year with a minimum of one member willing to stand for election of each position. The Chairman of the Nominating Committee will not be eligible to stand for
election, but the other two members may do so.
9.2 After obtaining the consent of the persons concerned, the slate shall be presented to the Board at least one month prior to the Annual General Meeting, at which time it will also be posted at the clubhouse.
9.3 Any member may make additional nominations. Such nominations must be made in writing, duly seconded in writing, and contain the consent of the nominee. These nominations must be handed to a member of the Nominating Committee, or in their absence, any member of the current Executive Board.
9.4 All such nominations will be closed at game time one week prior to the start of the Annual General Meeting. At the beginning of each bridge session for the week prior to the close of nominations, an announcement will be made to members about the upcoming closing of nominations. No further nominations will be accepted after this date including at the Annual General Meeting. This will allow time for the printing of ballots, if necessary, and will assist in reducing the voting time during the Annual General Meeting.
9.5 In the event that an election is necessary for any of the positions, the Chairperson of the Nominating Committee will preside over all facets of the election process.
9.6 For the convenience of members, and to maximize voting, advance polling shall be arranged by the Board. A sealed ballot box shall be made available at each bridge session during the week of the election. Voting shall be done in person with no proxy ballots allowed.
9.7 Only members in good standing shall have a vote, or the right to hold office.
9.8 Ballots will be counted twice immediately following the voting by the Chairman of the Nominating Committee, assisted by one other member who is neither running for office nor a member of the current Board.
9.9 The term of office for elected members shall be one calendar year.
Article 10: MEETINGS
10.1 Board meetings shall be held at least once every two months, except during the summer season. A simple majority of voting members shall constitute a quorum. The meeting dates shall be set by the Board.
10.2 Lengthy or difficult issues shall be committed to Ad Hoc sub-committees appointed by the Board. Such sub-committees will report to the Vice President. The recommendations of such ad hoc committees shall be most highly regarded by the Board, but the Board is not bound by these recommendations and may in its discretion decide otherwise.
10.3 All meetings shall be conducted according to democratic principles and common rules of parliamentary procedures. Disputes shall be settled using Robert's Rules of Order.
10.4 Any member of the Association may attend Board meetings. Upon request, he/she shall be granted floor privilege under "Other Business" of the agenda. If a member wishes to contribute an item to be included in the agenda, he/she should inform a Board member prior to the meeting as a matter of courtesy.
10.5 Board members shall be expected to attend all Board and membership meetings except when prevented by unavoidable circumstances. When feasible, the member concerned must inform the Secretary or the President of his/her inability to attend.
10.6 The Chairperson (normally the President) shall not vote except to break a tie.
10.7 When a Board member has, or appears to have, a conflict of interest, he/she shall declare the conflict of interest and withdraw from the Board meeting until the issue has been resolved.
Article 11: AMENDMENTS
The following process shall be adopted to effect constitutional revision or amendment.
11.1 The Constitution should be reviewed every 5 years unless a special circumstance arises whereby the Board decides to review it sooner.
11.2 For any review, the Board shall appoint an Ad Hoc Constitution Committee consisting of two Board members and two persons from the general membership.
11.3 The recommendations of the Constitution Committee shall be reviewed by the Board. A copy of the proposed Constitution, along with comments from the Board, shall be posted at the clubhouse by September 1st, approximately two months prior to the Annual General Meeting. Members will have until September 30 to propose amendments. The Constitution Committee and Board will have two weeks to consider these amendments and incorporate any revisions they feel necessary into the Constitution. The final version of the amendments/revisions shall be prepared by the Constitution Committee/Board and shall be posted for two weeks and made available to the general membership. It shall then be put to a simple majority vote of the members attending the Annual General Meeting. The vote will be to accept or reject the entire Constitution as presented.
11.4 A bylaw may be amended by the Board whenever there is a compelling reason for it.
11.5 Where a question arises as to the interpretation of any part of the Constitution, the original Ad Hoc Constitution Committee shall be reconstituted to render an opinion. If one or more original members are missing, the Board shall nominate substitutes. The interpretation of the committee shall be final.
This Constitution, together with the appended Bylaws, as adopted by the Barrie Bridge Association on this 28th day of November, 2008, shall supercede any prior Constitution, and shall henceforth be the only instrument governing and controlling all aspects of the existence of the Association.
Signed by the members of the Constitution Committee
Mary Anderson ________________________________
Joe Brosseau ________________________________
Paul Campbell ________________________________
Janis Halbert (Chair) _____________________________
1. THE ELECTED OFFICERS
The duties and responsibilities of elected officers shall be as follows:
-Act as the chief administrative officer, spokesperson for the Association, and enforce the Constitution
- See that the financial and functional health of the Association is well maintained
- Preside over all membership meetings and normally chair the Executive Board meetings
- Be responsible for the effectuation of Board decisions
- Compose the agendas for meetings, with input from the Board and other members
- Prepare, in conjunction with the Treasurer, the annual budget for the approval of the Board within one month of the start of the calendar year
- Have custodial responsibility for the property of the Association
- Report to the Board on relevant matters
- Keep the membership apprised of the health and welfare of the Association
- Ensure that the Vice President is able to assume the presidential responsibilities should the need arise
- Be one of four cheque signing authorities
-Familiarize himself/herself with the role and responsibilities of the President
- Assume the Presidential responsibilities in the absence of the President
- Assist and counsel the President in the conduct of the Association's business
- Be one of four cheque signing authorities
- Assist the President in making arrangements for all meetings, including the Annual General Meeting
- Prepare the agendas for all meetings
- Notify all concerned about the dates, times, and locations of meetings in advance
- Record the minutes of all meetings and distribute them to Board members and post them at the club
- Maintain all Association files and records including correspondence, minutes, financial reports, agreements, leases and other necessary documents for a period of not less than seven years.
- Be one of four cheque signing authorities
- Manage and oversee the finances of the Association for the Board
- Consult with the President to prepare the annual budget for the Association
- Collect/receive table fees and all other income/proceeds for the Association
- Deposit all Association monies and maintain an up-to-date bank account
- Make all payments/disbursements on behalf of the Association
- Present a report on the current state of the finances at every Board meeting
- Present a complete financial report to the membership at the Annual General Meeting
- Prepare and maintain all accounting records/books for audit
- Be one of four cheque signing authorities and ensure that all cheques paid out have two of the four authorized signatures
- Keep liaison with the ACBL on behalf of the Executive Board
- Prepare and post a schedule of yearly games, including special games sanctioned by the ACBL
- Prepare and file month-end reports with the ACBL
- Prepare an annual budget for supplies and materials for inclusion in the general budget
- Purchase needed supplies and materials as budgeted by the Board
- Arrange for appropriate trophies and prizes to be awarded as approved by the Board
- Maintain such records as needed to determine said trophy and prize winners
Chief Games Director
- Perform all functions mandated by the ACBL
- Prepare and maintain an up-to-date schedule of directors for all club games
- Arrange for other members to assist in dealing with zero tolerance complaints and chair said meetings
- Maintain a record of all zero tolerance records and any other incidents/correspondence to be passed on to succeeding Chief Game Directors
- Make the necessary arrangements for all social functions
- Obtain supplies for game time coffee, tea, cookies, etc
- Maintain a list of volunteers for performing social functions
- Prepare an annual budget for social functions for inclusion in the general budget
2. THE APPOINTED POSITIONS
As and when necessary, the Board may appoint members to functional positions. These individuals may choose to, or may be asked to attend Board meetings but shall not have a vote. Further, these positions may be filled by the elected members. Such appointments and their duties may include, but not be limited to the following. Specific job descriptions should be detailed upon appointment:
- Two Honourary Advisors to provide advice to the President or the Board when so requested
- Assistant Club Manager to share in the performance of Club Manager's duties and assume the responsibilities in the absence of the Club Manager. This person shall co-ordinate information about the organizing, advertising, and lessons of the teaching program
- Publicity Manager to undertake publicity and public relations work
- Assistant Social Co-ordinators to assist the Social Co-ordinator as and when needed
- Ticket Sale Co-ordinator to c-oordinate the sale of tickets for special occasions
- Membership Secretary to co-ordinate the sale of memberships , and provide the Board with the list of membership, with contact information, and update it as and when necessary
- Special Card Sender to see that members are remembered at special occasions in their lives
These Bylaws, together with the Constitution, as adopted by the Barrie Bridge Association on this the 28th day of November, 2008, shall supercede any and all prior Bylaws or Constitution, and shall, henceforth, be the only instrument governing and controlling all aspects of the existence of the Barrie Bridge Association
Signed by the members of the Constitution Committee
Janis Halbert (Chair) _____________________________
July 17, 2017
Barrie Bridge Society Executive Meeting Minutes
Date: Monday, June 5, 2017
Called to order at 4:42 by Dale MacKenzie
Attendance: John LaMarre, DaleMacKenzie, Evelyn Caroline Elsey, Phyllis Chenoweth, Jade Gibbs, Leigh Ives, Mary Ellen Dale, Marc Brenner, Gary Hesson
Absent: Melissa Crossland
Guest: Frank Mustoe
Motion to accept the minutes of the last executive meeting made by Gary. Passed
As a result of the resignation of Pat Robbenhaur from the board of the Branch Office Barrie Beginners Club Gary made a motion to invite Frank to step into that position. Seconded by Phyllis. Frank accepted the invitation.
B. Our move downstairs is targeted for the evening of the 25 th of June, a
Sunday. We will ask for volunteers from the club to facilitate this event. Members
with teenage children or grandchildren will be encouraged to bring them along to help. The move is to be completed Monday morning the 26th, so that our afternoon game can carry on as usual. We will also leave two tables set up in the foyer for those members who may not be able to do the stairs.
Adjournment: Motion by Phyllis to adjourn at 6:10.
BARRIE BRIDGE ASSOCIATION
Executive Meeting Minutes
Date: January 30, 2017
Time: 4:30 pm
Present: Jayde Gibbs, Mary-Ellen Dale, Melissa Crossland, Gary Hesson, Evelyn Caroline, John LaMarre, Gerry Jeffries, Pat Robbenhaar, Andy Risman
Agenda: Path Forward Recommended by our Accountant
Andy Risman made a presentation to the executive regarding our use of a Branch Office, preparation of the 2016 HST/GST return and de-registration of the club from HST/GST. Many questions were asked and answered and consensus was achieved on the path forward. The Main Club will be comprised of the activities surrounding the fully mature open games and all learner activities and learner limited games will reside within the Branch Office.
Jayde moved, seconded by May-Ellen that Evelyn work with the accountant to:
John moved, seconded by Evelyn that Gerry Jeffries be installed as the new President of the Branch Office and Pat Robbenhaar be installed as the new Club Manager of the Branch Office. Evelyn will continue as the Treasurer of both the Main Club and the Branch Office.
Evelyn moved seconded by Mary Ellen that a sub-committee be formed to work with the Mayor of Barrie to find a new home for the Barrie Bridge Association at Sunnydale Park and/or other potential locations.
John expressed his thanks to Andy for coming up to Barrie for the meeting, and to Evelyn for all her hard work in working with Andy to successfully resolve the HST/GST issue that had so deeply impacted the Executive
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Wednesday November 16, 2016 - 6:00 p.m. 54 Ross Street
Call to Order: Meeting commenced at 6:08 p.m.
Review of Minutes for Annual General Meeting November 18, 2015 :
Moved by Dale Marcotte, seconded by Betty MacMillan the Minutes be accepted as read. Carried.
Club Manager: John LaMarre became the new club manager on August 11. 2016. He received a lot of help from other managers in Midland and Orillia. He observed that previously one person handled almost 80% of the work. A volunteer group is now running it. There is a need for more directors. If everyone does his/her part, no one will be burned out. John is going to have an operational manager to help the club run properly.
Chief Games Director: Leigh Ives was also called on to take over the job. A number of people are trying to become directors. Leigh has found the job challenging and it involves a lot of responsibility. Dealing with 2 session games in her opinion requires more than the allotted $50 payment to the director. Leigh suggested adding a 50% increase, which would amount to a $10 increase. There is a possibility of a director’s course offered by Greg Coles if there is enough interest.
Novice Co-ordinator: Melissa Crossland stated there were ups and downs during the year. She feels the key to the club’s success is new members. The new games on Wednesday afternoon hopefully will help this need. A 299 game is offered as well as a fun game.
Social Convenor: Merry Ellen Dale our new social convenor feels that she has been given a tremendous amount of support. The Longest Day raised approximately $3000. Sympathy cards are supplied for our members in need. Derek Egan is our new “coffee man” being as reliable as Big Ben in London. Our Christmas party is being held on December 7, 2016. Catering by Colin is serving roast beef or chicken. $20 is the cost and it will enable those attending the dinner to have a discount on the cost of the bridge game .The final day for signing up for the party is November 30th. Many volunteers are bringing dessert. Aaron Leclair will clean the dishes from the event for $50. Previously Colin said that he had 75- 80 people attend. We are at about 56 at this point. The ticket also includes the meal , 3 special raffle prizes as well as poinsettias from the tables.
President: See the attachment for the report of president Marc Brenner.
Treasurer: See the attachment for the report of treasurer Evelyn Caroline.
Immediate Past President: John Mongomery as past president presided over preparing the list of candidates of the executive of 2017. The new executive were announced as follows:
President Jayde Gibbs
Vice President Joffre McCleary
Club Manager John LaMarre
Chief Games Director Leigh Ives
Treasurer Evelyn Caroline
Secretary Phyllis Chenoweth
Social Convenor Mary Ellen Dale
Novice Representative Melissa Crossland
Member at Large Gary Hesson
Past President Marc Brenner
The executive is happy to have Dale MacKenzie as our new Web Master.
Moved by Evelyn Caroline, seconded by Leigh Ives the meeting adjou
EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING
Wednesday January 6, 2016- 5:30 p.m. ANAF Conference Room
Present: President Marc Brenner (attended by way of Skype)
Voting Members: Elizabeth Leclair, Marc Fournier, Pat Powell, Evelyn Caroline, John Montgomery, Melissa Crossland, Jayde Gibbs, Phyllis Chenoweth
Call to Order: Meeting commenced at 5:30 p.m.
Review of Minutes for December 2, 2015 meeting:
Moved by Melissa Crossland, seconded by Marc Fournier the Minutes be accepted as read. Carried.
Moved by Phyllis Chenowth, seconded by Marc Brenner the meeting be adjourned. Carried.
Wednesday March 23, 2016 - 5:15 p.m. ANAF Bridge Building
Present: President Marc Brenner
Voting Members: Marc Fournier, Pat Powell, Evelyn Caroline, John Montgomery, Jayde Gibbs
Absent: Elizabeth Leclair, Phyllis Chenoweth, Melissa Crossland
Call to Order: Meeting commenced at 5:27 p.m.
Review of Minutes for January 6, 2016: Moved by John Montgomery, seconded by Marc Brenner, the Minutes be accepted as read. Carried.
Treasurer: Evelyn Caroline reported the club has $10,000 in the bank and a $15,871 GIC which is convertible every month. Evelyn was thanked for all her hard work.
Moved by Jayde Gibbs, seconded by John Montgomery the meeting be adjourned. Carried.
Wednesday March 30, 2016- 5:30 p.m. ANAF Bridge Building
Voting Members: Elizabeth Leclair, Pat Powell, Evelyn Caroline, John Montgomery, Jayde Gibbs
Absent: Melissa Crossland, Phyllis Chenoweth
Review of Minutes for March 23, 2016 meeting:
Moved by John Montgomery, seconded by Marc Brenner the Minutes be accepted as read. Carried.
Moved by Elizabeth Leclair, seconded by Evelyn Caroline the meeting be adjourned. Carried.
EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING MINUTES
Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 6:00 p.m. 54 Ross Street
Voting Members: Elizabeth Leclair, Pat Powell, Evelyn Caroline, Jayde Gibbs, Phyllis Chenoweth
Absent: Melissa Crossland
Call to Order: Meeting commenced at 6:04 p.m.
Review of Minutes for March 30, 2016 meeting:
Moved by Phyllis Chenoweth, seconded by Jayde Gibbs the Minutes be accepted as read. Carried.
a) The move went well.
b) Relations with VV and the church are great. Marc is dealing with Fred Clark the Operations Manager. Trudy is the church liaison. Marc has sent out dates to VV and they have informed Trudy about these dates. Evelyn Caroline suggested we also give the dates to Trudy.
c) Parking issues are no longer a problem because Maggie has changed her section to Tuesday mornings.
d) Marc spoke with Dennis Bertrand. We can accommodate his physical needs but Dennis has decided to not come to bridge for the present time. He appreciated our help in dealing with his concerns.
Longest Day: The committee of Jayde Gibbs, Phyllis Chenoweth and Paul Campbell met for breakfast last week to plan for this June 20th event.
Bridge Mates: Elizabeth Leclair will have these ready to go by the end of June. She will teach the executive on their use within the next 5 weeks.
There was not time for the treasurer’s report. This will be dealt with at our next meeting. We will have to start earlier to complete all our business.
Moved Marc Brenner, seconded by Phyllis Chenoweth, the meeting adjourn. Carried. Our next meeting will be on June 8, 2016 at 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday July 20, 2016- 5:30 p.m. 54 Ross Street
Voting Members: Elizabeth Leclair, Pat Powell, Evelyn Caroline, Phyllis Chenoweth, Melissa Crossland
Absent: Jayde Gibbs, John Montgomery
Call to Order: Meeting commenced at 5:40 p.m.
Review of Minutes for May 25, 2016 meeting:
Moved by Phyllis Chenoweth, seconded by Melissa Crossland the Minutes be accepted as read. Carried.
Moved by Melissa Crossland, seconded by Phyllis Chenoweth the meeting adjourn. Carried.
Minutes of Barrie Bridge Club Executive, Monday, August 15, 2016
Call to order: 9:40am
Attandance: President Marc Brenner
Voting Members: Phyllis Chenoweth, Jayde Gibbs, Melissa Crossland, Evelyn Elsey,
Absent: Pat Powell, John Montgomery
Guests: Paul Campbell, John LaMarre, Mary Ellen Dale
Minutes of the last meeting were amended to include mention of the attached letter by our treasurer Evelyn Caroline. Moved to accept amended minutes by Evelyn, seconded by Phyllis.
1. Presidents Report.
Actions since the last meeting: New accounting procedures have been put into effect.
Several motions were put forth to the board.
1. The board approves the action taken by the president since the July 20, 2016 meeting whereby he accepted the resignation of the Association Manager Elizabeth Leclair. This implies that in the board's opinion, the letter from the Treasurer to the board distributed to the board was justified.
The motion was was amended to to exclude the second sentence.
Accepted by Melissa Crossland
Seconded by Phyllis Chenoweth
2. Motion to approve the appointment John LeMarre as Association Manager Moved by Marc Brenner Seconded by Jayde Gibbs
3. Motion to appoint Leigh Ives as Chief Director of games.
Moved by Marc Brenner
Seconded by Evelyn Elsey
4. Motion to appoint Mary Ellen Dale as our Social Coordinator Moved by Marc Brenner Seconded by Jayde Gibbs
5. Motion to change the fees to be paid to Directors to $50 per session, regardless of the number is sessions being directed at the same time. No free game.
Seconded by Jayde
6. Motion to offer Elizabeth the following responses to her demands for her to consider before a return to the club in a significant fashion:
1. Honorarium owed to her for the 7 months she was club manager be paid.
2. Club computer set up fee of $200 to be paid to Elizabeth
3. After accounting by the treasurer any funds owing to the club shall be paid by Elizabeth. Any any finds owing to her shall be paid by the club.
4. Aaron will continue to make up the make up the boards until the Annual General Meeting later on this year.
5. Since volunteers have already come forward to do some duties free of charge, ie, web master, shopping, no shopping allowance or web master fees will be necessary.
6. Since we now have a new Chief Games Director, there is no need for a "Special Games Director".
7. Elizabeth will join the regular rotation on Mondays as determined by the Chief Games Director.
Seconded by Jayde Gibbs
2. Treasurer's Report
As of May 31, the club has $10, 700 in the bank.
Year to date profit : January to May 31, 2016 - $1,435.69
Discussion re the 15, 000 GIC in the bank.
The bank has not been been turning it over every month as directed by our treasurer. She will be visiting the bank on Wednesday to discuss this issue.
Discussion re incorporating and charging GST on our table fees.
It is expected we will be incorporated before the end of 2016. It is a one time cost of approximately $800. We may need to increase our fees but can hope to recoup 40 percent of the GST paid.
Voting on the issue will take place at a future meeting.
4. Adjournment at 12:00 pm
Moved by Mary Ellen Dale
Moved by Evelyn Caroline, seconded by Leigh Ives the meeting adjourn. Carried.