MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEEING
Held Thursday 5th April 2012
PRESENT: Paul Hedrick (Chairperson), Alan Cairncross, Bill Kaiser, Robin Olsson, Dev Caple
APOLOGIES: Bill Grimster, Neil Ludvigsen, Shirley Peterson
MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Accepted. There were no matters arising from the minutes.
MINUTES OF AGM: Paul presented the minutes of the AGM. The minutes were accepted.
APPOINTMENTS: The following appointments were confirmed:
- Yogan Sathianathan as Masterpoint Secretary
- Dev Caple as delegate to the NTBA Tournaments Committee
- Paul Hedrick as Public Officer.
TREASURER’S REPORT: There was no Treasurer’s report, because the figures were unavailable.
The Committee decided that Robin, Neil and Bill Kaiser should be the signatories for the coming year. Robin is to organize with ACCU for Neil and Bill to replace Pat and Yogan as signatories.
INCOMING/OUTGOING MAIL: The Committee noted the mail schedule. Many of the items had already been copied to the Committee.
REPORTS: Dev reported that the time and efforts of the Tournament Committee are being exclusively devoted to making a success of the upcoming Territory Gold Bridge Festival and the ANC.
As Michael was absent, Paul commented on the correspondence received from Michael. The Committee noted the great success of the second Training Course and the continuing success of Michael’s programme of training for Intermediate Level Players. The Committee agreed that Michael should be allowed to continue holding his sessions of supervised play in conjunction with the regular Monday night sessions.
Paul said that the immediate responsibilities of Bill Grimster, the new Vice-President would be to coordinate the preparation of a budget for 2012 and to review the classification of items of income and expenditure. In addition, he will clarify our relations with the NTBA and the Darwin Bridge Club
1. Finances: The Committee would like Robin and Yogan to work with Bill on the financial issues.
2. DBC and NTBA: Bill has said that his first step will be to meet up with the Presidents of the NTBA and DBC.
3. Arafura Bridge Sessions: The most immediate problem is organizing a roster to prepare the suppers and afternoon teas. Players are being urged to volunteer to prepare suppers and afternoon teas.It was further decided that Marie-Jo will organize the Monday supper and Shirley the Thursday afternoon tea.
Parking on a Monday night is becoming a problem. Paul in his next circular to members is to stress that members should keep the grassy area on the right of the rooms open for parking.
4. 20th Arafura Birthday Function: Shirley and Marie-Jo in consultation with Pat will decide on the nature of the function, which will be held to celebrate the Club’s 20th anniversary. Saturday 12th May has been tentatively set aside for the function.
5. Upcoming Events: The Arafura Mixed Pairs championship will be held on Mondays 16th and 23rd April 2012. A Champagne Breakfast is scheduled for Sunday 6th May 2012.
OTHER BUSINESS: Paul commented that the NTBA is operating under a constitution, which with only minor amendments, has been largely unchanged for more than twenty years. Conditions have varied substantially since the constitution was introduced. There are more Clubs, the profile of the membership has changed, communication is so much easier. The Committee felt that the time is right to review the constitution. The Committee agreed on the following policy statement.
Policy Statement on the NTBA Constitution
The Arafura Bridge Club believes that the current NTBA constitution and its accompanying regulations should be reviewed. The aim of the review would be to:
v Better reflect the aspirations of all Club bridge players in the Territory;
v Allow Clubs a greater say in the determination of policy in this age of instant communication;
v Update procedures to provide for the smoother administration of bridge in the Territory.
NEXT MEETING: The next meeting was scheduled for Thursday 28th April 2012.
Paul Hedrick Robin Olsson